Author Topic: Monmouthshire PR Transcripts  (Read 3755 times)

Offline woofas

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Monmouthshire PR Transcripts
« on: Tuesday 05 August 14 11:39 BST (UK) »
A couple of years ago I managed to find a site on Rootsweb containing many transcripts of PRs, which were very useful to the area I was searching at the time.  Now I want to find some further info but cannot find the site anywhere.  Surely it has not been deleted?  Can anyone help please?
Sandell (London), Gibson (Northants), Webb (Hants), Morgan (Mons), Taylor, Lorberg & King (all London) Piles (Kent) Hope & Beech (Herefd)

Offline Rowley

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
Re: Monmouthshire PR Transcripts
« Reply #1 on: Tuesday 05 August 14 14:05 BST (UK) »
Yes sadly that site for Mon Parish Registers is no longer available, what info are you looking for? Some of us may be able to help, Rowley
Davey in Upper Machen, Bedwas, Cascade Glam
Owen Merthyr,Gelligaer area.
Thomas Brecon and Merthyr Tydfil.
Williams,Llangynwyd, Pengam Mon and Glam.
Bevan Mynyddislwyn Pengam and Gelligaer area.
Ellery and Trotman Wooton under Edge,Bristol and South Wales

Offline woofas

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Tuesday 05 August 14 14:14 BST (UK) »
I am looking for details of the two eldest children of John & Mary Morgan of Pen Y Clawdd.
Edith Mary Registered b Q3 1899, bap 21 Aug 1898 ?  possibly died 1903
Annie Elizabeth Reg b Q3 1900 Bap ? possibly died pre 1911 census

Any help much appreciated
Sandell (London), Gibson (Northants), Webb (Hants), Morgan (Mons), Taylor, Lorberg & King (all London) Piles (Kent) Hope & Beech (Herefd)

Offline RayDen

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Thursday 07 August 14 14:52 BST (UK) »
Edith Morgan is on the 1901 census with parents at Pen y clawdd and is not on the 1911 census.  There is a death in 1903 (from freebmd) for a Edith May Morgan Monmouth June Qtr 11a 23, but I can't see any other likely deaths for a Edith Mary. 

Similarly Annie Elizabeth is on the 1901 but not on the 1911 census.  Can't see any likely deaths for a Annie Elizabeth on Freebmd so she was probably registered under just Elizabeth?

In 1911 the family were in Ross but a son John aged 8 years was born in Montgomeryshire, Wales, and a daughter Lily May (1 year) was born Ross so Elizabeth may have died somewhere other than Monmouth.

Ray
Denham [Hertford & London], Carter [Somerset], Francis, Badger [Pembroke, Glamorgan]

Offline woofas

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Thursday 07 August 14 16:10 BST (UK) »
Thanks for the info Ray although I did have most of it beforehand.
I particularly wanted to see the PRs for Pen y Clawdd to try to clarify the names, baptism & possible fate of the two oldest children.
Looks like another long trip to Cwmbran is necessary.
Fred

Offline RayDen

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Thursday 07 August 14 16:16 BST (UK) »
Not Cwmbran anymore - the Gwent Archives are now at Ebbw Vale.

If I get up to Ebbw Vale in the next couple of weeks I will have a look for you but can't promise anything at present.

Ray
Denham [Hertford & London], Carter [Somerset], Francis, Badger [Pembroke, Glamorgan]

Offline RayDen

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Monday 11 August 14 15:04 BST (UK) »
Hi Fred

Went to Gwent Archives earlier today:

Edith Mary Morgan baptised 21 Aug 1898
Father John, occupation Hay Maker
Mother Mary
Lived at:  The Tump (looks like) Pen-y-Clawdd

Annie Elizabeth Morgan baptised 19 Aug 1900
Father John, occupation Hay Maker
Mother Mary
Lived at: The Tump. Pen-y-Clawdd

There also appeared to be a third child for John & Mary

Frederick William John Morgan baptised 12 April 1903
Father John, occupation Hay Cutter
Mother Mary
Lived at: The Tump, Pen-y-Clawdd

Unfortunately I did not take my camera so no photo's but will do that on my next visit.

Could not find any likely deaths on the the Pen-y-Clawdd records for the Morgan children and did not have time to look in other local churches, will try that on my next visit.  However as I said in earlier reply I cannot see any registered deaths in the exact names in Monmouthshire.

There was another Morgan family (a William Morgan I believe) baptising children and also living at "The Tump" Pen-y-Clawdd, and a farm labourer but did not have the time to follow that up.

Ray

Offline RayDen

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Monday 11 August 14 15:19 BST (UK) »
Have just looked at the 1911 census again for the John Morgan family - Ancestry has the place of birth for son John transcribed as "Penystrywaid, Montgomeryshire, Wales" - strange because the original clearly shows "Penyclawdd Mon".  So Frederick William John is shown as "John".

Ray

Offline woofas

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Monday 11 August 14 19:45 BST (UK) »
Hi Ray,
Thanks for all the information you have passed over to me.  It is really appreciated.
Edith Mary - I believe that she died Q2 1903 Monmouth RD although the registration details refer to Edith May.  Someone suggested that she was possibly buried in Trelleck.
Annie Elizabeth - there is a death registered Q3 1903 although the age stated is 0yrs which may be a mis-transcription of 3yrs.  This burial may also be in Trelleck.  Were there any burials at Pen y Clawdd around this time?
Frederick William John - thanks for his details, I had looked for "John" following the 1911 Census but would never have expected the other forenames.
It is strange that John snr should describe himself as "hay cutter" in 1911 & "hay trusser" in 1901 especially in early April, a long way from the hay season & a very time limited trade. a bit like calling yourself a snow clearer!
If you visit Ebbw Vale in the near future, I would appreciate it if you could have a quick look for the marriage of John Morgan & Mary??? around 1897 per 1911 census.
By the way, the William Morgan living close by was John's younger brother.
Regards
Fred