Author Topic: Gisleham and Spexhall. REYNOLDS.  (Read 10985 times)

Offline davidjculley

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Gisleham and Spexhall. REYNOLDS.
« on: Tuesday 05 August 14 13:00 BST (UK) »
Family of Metyer REYNOLDS Rector of Gisleham 1758 to 1794. Metyer believed buried at Gisleham but at least one daughter Jane alleged born Spexhall 1763 and buried Spexhall as Jane Martin 22 November 1813. Quite possible alleged birth at Spexhall is an assumption. Many thanks if you can help.

Offline miriamkinga

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Henry Kingston Goater 1853-1920
    • View Profile
Re: Gisleham and Spexhall. REYNOLDS.
« Reply #1 on: Tuesday 05 August 14 13:08 BST (UK) »
The National Burial Index has his burial at Holy Trinity, Gisleham 23/02/1797 aged 83.
GOATER, LAN, ALL
BOURKE, MAYO/ LAN
LONERGAN, TIP
McGREAL, MAYO
FLAHERTY, GALWAY/ ALL
HOUGH, LAN/ ALL

Offline davidjculley

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Tuesday 05 August 14 14:54 BST (UK) »
Many thanks. In 1801 Jane Martin nee Reynolds allegedly baptises Metyer Reynolds Martin at Spexhall. In 1797 a Leonora Allen nee Reynolds baptises Metyer Reynolds Allen at Morton on the Hill, Norfolk. Leonora is my 3xg grandmother. In view of scarcity of the name Metyer I think it likely Leonora and Jane are da's. of Metyer Reynolds, maybe baptised Gisleham, as no baptism found Norfolk. Metyer Reynolds himself may well be the child of a marriage between the Reynolds and Metyer families. There is  just one Metyer family in Nfk. (minor gentry status) but no Reynolds/Metyer marriage has been found yet.

Offline miriamkinga

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Henry Kingston Goater 1853-1920
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Tuesday 05 August 14 15:14 BST (UK) »
have you seen the entry for Metyer Reynolds on the CofE clergy database? theclergydatabase.org.uk - gives a rundown of his career in the church from 1737 until his death in 1797.
GOATER, LAN, ALL
BOURKE, MAYO/ LAN
LONERGAN, TIP
McGREAL, MAYO
FLAHERTY, GALWAY/ ALL
HOUGH, LAN/ ALL

Offline davidjculley

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Tuesday 05 August 14 16:11 BST (UK) »
Thank you, yes I've been there. Also his Cambridge admission 1733 where he was organist at Emanuel. His will and that of his wife are at the NRO. I hope to visit in the next 2 or 3 weeks and may find legacies name his speculative (to date) daughters. I'm sorry to say my known relation, Metyer Reynolds Allen, was transported to Tas. in 1824, it would appear for the theft of an Ass.

Offline annes

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Monday 11 August 14 19:35 BST (UK) »
I checked a transcript of the Gisleham parish register and can confirm the burial there in 1797:

Rev. Metyer Reynolds Rector of this parish
Buried 23rd February 1797 aged 83

Unfortunately there were no baptisms at Gisleham for any of Metyer Reynolds' children, only his marriage:

Metyer Reynolds clerk of this parish
Honour Cooke of Forncett St Mary, Norfolk
Married by licence 19th April 1762
Both signed their names
Witnesses: William Hacon, Thomas Bishop

Offline annes

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Monday 11 August 14 19:42 BST (UK) »
Taken from Spexhall parish register

Meyter (sic) Reynolds Martin s/o Robert Martin and Jane his wife late Jane Reynolds spinster was privately baptised 30th November 1801.

The couple also baptised George: born 4th May, baptised 5th May 1805, buried 16th May 1805 aged 3 weeks

Also a Robert George s/o Robert and Jane Martin buried 3rd July 1801 although I couldn't see his baptism.

Robert Martin was a widower when he married Jane, his first wife Mary Fisher was buried at Spexhall 18th February 1793 aged 32.

Jane Martin buried at Spexhall 22nd November 1813 aged 50.  I checked the baptisms at Spexhall ~1763 but couldn't see any Reynolds baptisms there at this time.

Offline davidjculley

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Monday 11 August 14 20:04 BST (UK) »
Very many thanks your efforts. I am floundering now. Here's why. I have an ancestor, Leonora Reynolds who marries a Thomas Allen in Norfolk. No baptism found for Leonora in Norfolk. In 1797 she baptises a child Metyer Reynolds Allen. All her children have middle name Reynolds. I guessed Metyer was a clue to her parents. Metyer is a scarce name but Metyer Reynolds rector of Gisleham also had interests in Norfolk and property near Leonora's place of marriage. Jane Reynolds who married Spexhall named her son Metier Reynolds Martin in 1801. He ends up in Norwich. I see a report in the Monthly Magazine has Jane's marriage at Bury.1801 (no date) Mr Rt Martin of Spexhall to Miss Reynolds of Bracondale. The only Bracondale I know of is in Norwich. And yet I can find no connections!  I'm not asking for help, just putting you in the picture. Regards David Culley

Offline annes

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Monday 11 August 14 20:38 BST (UK) »
Hi David what an intriguing web!  I don't have anything to add unfortunately; I don't have any online access or cd's at my disposal, all my searching is done at the records office.  However there are some wonderful people who contribute to the Suffolk boards who can pick apart the trickiest of puzzles and often have other resources they can access.
Hopefully someone else can help  ;)