Author Topic: James Mathews 1869 Blackrock, Louth, Ireland  (Read 24189 times)

Offline AngelaRohlfs

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
James Mathews 1869 Blackrock, Louth, Ireland
« on: Wednesday 06 August 14 05:49 BST (UK) »
My great great grandfather is listed in our family bible as being James Mathews, born 29 Mar 1869 in Blackrock, Dundalk, Ireland. He married Mary (unknown surname) born 7 Apr 1869 in Blackrock... they were married 5 Nov 1888 in Haggardstown.

I have them as having 3 children --

Annie Mathews born 5 Oct 1889 in Birkenhead England (who married William Loftus at Redhill Surrey England on 1 Nov 1910)

John Mathews born and died in Liverpool (no dates in bible)

James Mathews born 29 May 1892 and died 18 July 1900 in Liverpool.

I found record that James then married Margaret White in the April May June 1909 register in Toxeth Park. They then traveled to San Francisco, CA USA where they had my great grandma Margaret Mary Josephine Mathews on 1 Apr 1915 and Desmond James Mathews on 11 Nov 1918.

James died in San Francisco on 29 May 1930 and Margaret died after him...

The problem is that I am unable to find any info on either of their parents... I have no names and no living relatives that know... I believe my aunt may have more info (she has the family bible) but she is unwilling to look and it took me YEARS before she would even pull the bible out to give me the info... I am going to order a copy of the marriage cert in hopes that (a) they even still have it and (b) it will list parent names... anyone out there that has my missing link?

Offline glensman

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
Re: James Mathews 1869 Blackrock, Louth, Ireland
« Reply #1 on: Wednesday 06 August 14 14:54 BST (UK) »
Familysearch has a number of possibilities for the birth of James Matthews in 1869 a couple of which name both parents:

http://www.rootschat.com/links/01999/

Offline Sinann

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Wednesday 06 August 14 18:44 BST (UK) »

Offline Sinann

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Wednesday 06 August 14 18:58 BST (UK) »
Possible wife
https://familysearch.org/pal:/MM9.1.1/FYWN-GQQ
Page number is missing on this one so still possible
https://familysearch.org/pal:/MM9.1.1/FYWN-LJ6
Of course I could have missed one or two

Offline AngelaRohlfs

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Wednesday 06 August 14 19:41 BST (UK) »
Thank you both so much! I have spent so many hours .. Days...  Weeks... Etc lol trying to find  something new! I had seen all the James Mathews on that site.... I hadn't found a Mary! Thank you! thank you! :D

Offline AngelaRohlfs

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Thursday 07 August 14 06:35 BST (UK) »
OK so I found the 1901 census for England shows Toxeth Park district (this is where Mary and James jr died) and it shows James at 35 years old and Mary 30 years old... that is different from what my bible says... which one would be most likely right? I believe the bible was Annie's because on the inside cover it said "Loftus, 51 Salisbury Road, Wavertree, Liverpool, England" Annie married a loftus so it only makes sense that she started the bible... could she have been wrong on dates of birth? *sigh* lol one step forward... two sideways! I am ordering the marriage license/certificate for James and Margaret in England 1909... hopefully it squares away some questions! 

Offline AngelaRohlfs

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Thursday 07 August 14 07:30 BST (UK) »
I found the California death index for James Mathews... he died 5-29-30 in San Francisco... I KNOW that part of everything to be true (lol) but... the show age at death as 69! That would give a year of birth as 1861! =/ How accurate would that age be?

Offline Sinann

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Thursday 07 August 14 07:46 BST (UK) »
Not sure if it applies to 1901 but I know on some of the English census the age was rounded up or down to the nearest 5. Ages can vary wildly on census depending on who filled them in and the impression they wanted to give.
Personally I'd be more inclined to believe what's in the bible, although you have to always bear in mind that people could be a bit vague about their age back than.

Death age depends on the informant, they may not have known and gave their best guess.

Offline AngelaRohlfs

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Thursday 07 August 14 08:33 BST (UK) »
:) that was my thought! I also thought about it.... If they asked my great great gma his age for the death cert she may have replied that he was born in 69 and they mistook that for age rather than year of birth?