Author Topic: Episcopalian Church near Linlithgow c. 1840  (Read 5104 times)

Offline Chris_t

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Episcopalian Church near Linlithgow c. 1840
« on: Thursday 07 August 14 04:32 BST (UK) »
Hello,

I am looking for a baptism for a Thomas Nimmo WETHERALL who was born c. 1839.  His mother Mary SPENCE was born in Linlithgow and I believe that Thomas NIMMO who the child was named after had a tannery there.  It is possible that the child could have been baptised in an Episcopalian church as there is no apparent record of his baptism in the Church of Scotland.

Can anyone help locating church records.

Regards, Christine

Offline Billy Anderson

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
Re: Episcopalian Church near Linlithgow c. 1840
« Reply #1 on: Thursday 06 November 14 11:28 GMT (UK) »
Hi Christine,
You could try contacting St.Columba,s Episcopal church in Bathgate,
www.stcolumbasbathgate.org.uk,
or the West lothian family history society.
www.wlfhs.org.uk

Kind regards,
Billy.
Anderson=Glasgow, Denny,Bathgate,Kilsyth.
=USA  Alameda,New York,Boston,Illinois.
Binning= Bathgate
Miller=Kilsyth
Black, McIntyre=Ise of Lismore
Donald=Enzie
MacDonald=Denny.
Lymburner=Denny
Wright=West Lothian
Greenhorn= Blantyre,LKS.

Offline Skoosh

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Thursday 06 November 14 14:52 GMT (UK) »
There is a wee Episcopal church in Linlithgow.

http://www.stpeterslinlithgow.co.uk/

Skoosh.

Offline Chris_t

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Thursday 06 November 14 20:04 GMT (UK) »
There is a wee Episcopal church in Linlithgow.

http://www.stpeterslinlithgow.co.uk/

Skoosh.

Thank you.  Do you know when this church started.  I have gone through my emails and see that I sent them an email back in 2012 but I can't recall ever getting a reply.

Offline Chris_t

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Thursday 06 November 14 20:07 GMT (UK) »
Hi Christine,
You could try contacting St.Columba,s Episcopal church in Bathgate,
www.stcolumbasbathgate.org.uk,
or the West lothian family history society.
www.wlfhs.org.uk

Kind regards,
Billy.

Thank you.  I will follow this up.  :)

Offline Skoosh

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Thursday 06 November 14 20:59 GMT (UK) »
Chris, this St Peter's must be quite modern, it's as wee a church as you can imagine so not many "Piskies" in "Lithgae". There were however at the time, in addition to the Kirk and the Free church, an Anti-Burgher church 1805, a Burgher church in 1834 and an Evangelical Union church built in 1840. The RC church was built in 1888.

Skoosh.

Offline Chris_t

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Thursday 06 November 14 21:59 GMT (UK) »
Chris, this St Peter's must be quite modern, it's as wee a church as you can imagine so not many "Piskies" in "Lithgae". There were however at the time, in addition to the Kirk and the Free church, an Anti-Burgher church 1805, a Burgher church in 1834 and an Evangelical Union church built in 1840. The RC church was built in 1888.

Skoosh.
Thank you.

The reason for my request is that I have a family by the name of WETHERALL (previously WITHEROW) who appear to originate from Limadavy in Ireland where they were possibly Presbyterian but later seem to adhere to the teaching of the Church of Ireland.  They moved to Scotland around 1820 and they have a daughter christened in 1824 in an Episcopalian Church in Glasgow. They have at least two more daughters whose place of birth is unknown.  As there is a Linlithgow connection it is possible that a son William b.c. 1815 was apprenticed to one of the tannery firms in Linlithgow.  This is where the connection to Thomas NIMMO possibly comes about.  William married Mary SPENCE in 1835 and the marriage is recorded in both Glasgow and Linlithgow. They have a daughter baptised in the Church of Scotland in Glasgow in 1835.  Thomas Nimmo WETHERALL was born about 1839 and died early in 1841. He is buried with his grandmother in Glasgow. An elder sister Janet was born about 1838. There is no record of this family in the 1841 census and it seems likely that they moved to Belfast before the census date. I understand that there were a lot of SPENCES in Linlithgow. Mary SPENCE came from a large family and appears to be the youngest of about 13 children born to Robert SPENCE and Euphan (Euphemia) MARSHALL.
What I don't know is whether there was a prior connection to Linlithgow and how someone would go about securing an apprenticeship if they weren't related and whether it would be likely for a child to be sent from Glasgow to Linlithgow or whether the family were residing at Linlithgow for a period. This perhaps is a whole new topic but any helpful suggestions would be appreciated.

Offline Skoosh

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Thursday 06 November 14 22:38 GMT (UK) »
Chris, the church in Glasgow was probably St Andrews on the Green.
 An apprentice was not necessarily related to his master but often lived with the family.
 Linlithgow was connected to Glasgow by canal before the railway was built, passenger boats as well as freight.

Skoosh.

Offline Chris_t

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Thursday 06 November 14 23:09 GMT (UK) »
Chris, the church in Glasgow was probably St Andrews on the Green.
 An apprentice was not necessarily related to his master but often lived with the family.
 Linlithgow was connected to Glasgow by canal before the railway was built, passenger boats as well as freight.

Skoosh.
Thank you.  The information about the canal was most helpful.  Yes the church in Glasgow was St Andrews by the Green. The records are apparently held in the Mitchell Library, but the only baptism record that they could find was the daughter who was born in 1824. There is no record for William's two sisters born c. 1829 and 1832 one of whom is my Great, Great Grandmother or the two children mentioned previously. William first appears in Glasgow in 1834 where he is a boot and shoemaker. He is later a hide merchant.  William was possibly tasked with bringing up his younger siblings even though he was quite young at the time. I thought that Thomas NIMMO must have been a witness to the baptism of his namesake which is why I thought that perhaps the baptism took place in Linlithgow.