Author Topic: Identify  (Read 3043 times)

Offline g forgeron

• RootsChat Senior
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Identify
« on: Thursday 07 August 14 15:46 BST (UK) »
Saw this in Lindisfarne castle, no one there could tell me anything about it. It looks like a sheep hanging from the perimeter chain, so I assume that is from the Order of the Golden fleece - hence Spanish. The horizontal red white red bands are similar to the Austrian flag.

Can  anyone identify the remaining emblems and what they represent and if possible who it belonged to?

Offline Skoosh

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Identify
« Reply #1 on: Thursday 07 August 14 22:29 BST (UK) »
Castile & Leon top left?

Skoosh.

Offline davidbappleton

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Friday 08 August 14 17:54 BST (UK) »
The collar is definitely that of the Order of the Golden Fleece.

The arms look to me to be a version of the arms of Charles V, Holy Roman Emperor (he was also Charles I of Spain), and consist of the arms of many of his dominions.  Some of the ones I recognize right off the bat are Spain (quarterly Castile and Leon), Aragon (mis-colored), the Two Sicilies (also mis-colored), Austria (as you noted), Burgundy (mis-colored), Granada, and Portugal.

You can find a drawing of the greater arms of Charles V (with even more on the shield than appears here) at http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Coats_of_arms_of_the_Holy_Roman_Empire#mediaviewer/File:Greater_Arms_of_Charles_I_of_Spain,_Charles_V_as_Holy_Roman_Emperor.svg

I hope this information is helpful.

David

Offline Skoosh

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Friday 08 August 14 21:46 BST (UK) »
Well done David,  here's James V's gateway, with his orders of chivalry, at Linlithgow Palace,

http://www.castleUK.net/castle_lists_scotland/65/linlithgowgate1.html

Skoosh.

Offline davidbappleton

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Friday 08 August 14 22:54 BST (UK) »
Nice!  I wonder how much it would cost me to do an entrance like that to my house.  Probably one of those "if you have to ask, you can't afford it" things, isn't it?