Author Topic: Two addresses for his mother.  (Read 4545 times)

Offline Jaxyfone

• RootsChat Extra
  • Leicester born and bred, and proud of it!
    • View Profile
Re: Two addresses for his mother.
« Reply #9 on: Sunday 10 August 14 18:26 BST (UK) »
Thank you for these answers. I'm currently waiting for Dad's mother's marriage certificate (she married when he was three years old) and hoping that it contains some details of her family members so that I can attempt to find out a little more. I may, at some point, need to pay a visit to the local record office and see of I can see an registers of either the workhouse or the London Orphan School, but I need a clearer idea of where he was placed during those three years. Roll on 2021 when the census may be able to help me a little more.

Think I'm going to have to read up on workhouses in general. Seems all we're told, for the most part, the very worst parts of some of the earlier workhouses - the 'Oliver Twist' stories. Jennifer Worth, in her 'Call the Midwife' books discusses some of the more humanitarian practices of the later workhouses and tells the stories of some people who actually got their start in life and a decent trade thanks to their workhouse childhood.

I have read that by the time Dad was born, Watford Workhouse had stopped putting the title 'workhouse' on birth certificates so as not to hinder its inmates in later life. Instead they just put '60 Vicarage Road', which seems like a very forward-thinking thing to have done.

Not an ideal way to start or end your life, I suppose, but marginally better than starving or freezing to death on the streets. :-\
Smith (Kettering/Northants); Hill; Mackness; Chapman
Giddings; Pridmore; Salsbury.

Online KGarrad

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Sunday 10 August 14 18:28 BST (UK) »
Plenty of information about workhouses on www.workhouses.org.uk
Garrad (Suffolk, Essex, Somerset), Crocker (Somerset), Vanstone (Devon, Jersey), Sims (Wiltshire), Bridger (Kent)

Offline [Ray]

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • UK Census information Crown Copyright
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Monday 11 August 14 09:11 BST (UK) »
Hi

Some odd, almost useless "facts" . . . . .

Watford Printers Ltd were set up in 1921 and are at 58 Vicarage Road
So, you never know . . . . .
[ The Stadium is between the 58 and the old Workhouse Infirmary. ]
The old Workhouse Infirmary has been decorated and is now called Watford General.  ;D

Birchfield Terrace would seem to have been in the area around Lower High Street.
Then #23 High Street. Aound them was Lamb's Yard and Woodmans Yard and New Road.
Easy walking distance to Watford Printers. Other printers are available  :)
Ethel Rose Cook at #14 Birchfield Terrace, High Street.
Other BirchfieldTerrace addresses may be written in the style "20 Court, 23 High Street" )

Dingy area. http://www.hertfordshire-genealogy.co.uk/images/!/w/watford/watford-woodmans-yard-phipson%20small.jpg

Watford Sports Cars / Montesa Motor Cycles were in Woodmans Yard (Fairthorpe Cheetah)
http://www.fairthorpescc.com/fscc_Watford.html

Ray

"The wise man knows how little he knows, the foolish man does not". My Grandfather & Father.

"You can’t give kindness away.  It keeps coming back". Mark Twain (?).

Offline Jaxyfone

• RootsChat Extra
  • Leicester born and bred, and proud of it!
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Wednesday 13 August 14 19:32 BST (UK) »
That's not useless, Ray. It's actually quite useful. Thanks.
Smith (Kettering/Northants); Hill; Mackness; Chapman
Giddings; Pridmore; Salsbury.