Author Topic: Walker Robb and Whyntie, Moray and Banff  (Read 17512 times)

Offline daval57

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Christmas 2011. My daughter Clare with me.
    • View Profile
Re: looking for margaret Whynti
« Reply #18 on: Tuesday 30 September 14 04:40 BST (UK) »
James Robb and Margaret Whyntie are recorded on FamilySearch as being married on 1 Aug 1840.  It's recorded in both the Parish of Deskford, and of Fordyce.  That's not unusual when two parties are from different areas.

Again, you'd be able to get a copy of the actual OPRs from ScotlandsPeople (SP) (I see now you're in Oregon so I guess a visit to the local archives is not an option for you).

I also see from FamilySearch that Mary was born 13 June 1856 in Fordyce.  Being after the compulsory registrations of 1855, that would be a good document to get your hands on (via SP) as it would give you definitive evidence that Mary's parents were indeed James and Margaret.  It would also show her specific place/address of birth. 
-------------------
FORREST (Glasgow, Lanarkshire, Stirlingshire and Dunbartonshire)
ROONEY (Co Down, Co Antrim) 
BORTHWICK, FORTUNE, BARKER, SIVES (Lothians)
ANDERSON (Moray, Caithness)

Offline daval57

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: Tuesday 30 September 14 04:53 BST (UK) »
I'm not sure how experienced a researcher of Scottish records you are, but assuming you're not too used to it, here're the links to FamilySearch (FS) and Scotlands People (SP).  FamilySearch is free, but not 100% reliable or complete - it's based on transcripts.  ScotlandsPeople is Pay per view but is the ONLY place online that you can obtain copies of the actual birth, marriage, death and census records for Scotland.  Info on any other sites will always be from transcripts, not always accurate or complete.

FS... https://familysearch.org/search
SP... http://www.scotlandspeople.gov.uk

I'll have a look later at the Whyntie girl I have from Deskford and try and find a connection.  It seems very likely she'll be a niece, 2nd cousin or something like that of your Margaret. 

I'll also see whether I can narrow down a birth for either James Robb or Margaret Whyntie - Deskford and Fordyce were both very small communities. 

Dave
-------------------

Offline daval57

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: Tuesday 30 September 14 04:59 BST (UK) »
Lucky white heather must be working!  :D

Almost certainly James was christened on 11 April 1817 in Fordyce and was the son of James Rob and Helen Mersen (details from FS)

-------------------

Offline daval57

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: Tuesday 30 September 14 05:06 BST (UK) »
Also from FS....

Margaret Whyntie b27 Mar 1819, c1 Apr 1819, Deskford to parents James Whyntie and Margaret Fraser.
-------------------

Offline daval57

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: Tuesday 30 September 14 05:41 BST (UK) »
Still on FS.

James Whyntie / Margt. Fraser married (might be date Banns read) in Grange, Banffshire on 20 Jun 1807. 

They had a number of children, one of whom was your Margaret's brother, John Whyntie b1811 (MY RELATIVE!!!! by marriage - the father of the girl I mentioned right at the beginning of the thread!!!!).

I'm not allowed to post a copy of the actual record on here because of copyright, but the attached is a screenshot of part of John's death record in 1899 showing his parents as James Whyntie and Margaret Fraser. 

I'm calling it quits at that for now as it is after 5am here now - I need to get some shut-eye.

I'll get back to you later today or tomorrow once I collate all this info, get it on my tree and check my own records. 

If you wish, we can exchange email addresses by PM so that I can give you access to my tree and also send you any documents I might have.

I won't have much yet because the Whyntie family are my "in-laws" rather than blood family.  My link is through John Whyntie's wife, Hellen Anderson (her father is my ggggf).

This is quite exciting finding this.  I wouldn't have bothered looking at the Whyntie side for years yet because it's in-laws rather than direct family.  All because I happened to recognise the unusual name from your post!  :)

I might take a stroll around the block, make a coffee and just stay awake now.  It'll be light in a couple of hours anyway.  :D

-------------------

Offline daval57

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: Tuesday 30 September 14 08:15 BST (UK) »
A fair bit of work to do yet, but we might be able to get the Whyntie line back to late 17thC.  They seem to have been in Fordyce pretty consistently. 

I've had a walk and coffee and am just coming back to the research.  I'm flagging though.  Might not last too much longer without a sleep.   I'll see how it goes.   Will start inputting what I know so far. 
-------------------

Offline daval57

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: Tuesday 30 September 14 08:39 BST (UK) »
Children of James Whyntie and Margaret Fraser that I've found so far (as I've found them - not in order of birth):

Alexander c2 Dec 1821 Deskford
Betty b13 Jun 1817 c20 Jun 1817 Deskford
Margaret b27 Mar 1819 c1 Apr 1819 Deskford
John b31 May 1811 c8 June 1811 Deskford
Isobel b21 Feb 1809 c25 Feb 1809 Deskford
James b3 Nov 1814 c10 Nov 1814 Deskford

I've seen some of their spouses too but I'll come back to that - I don't want to digress too far before I record the direct blood lines.  I'd lose track. 

-------------------

Offline daval57

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: Tuesday 30 September 14 09:01 BST (UK) »
Also meant to say, although I'm concentrating on Whyntie at the moment, we can come back to the Robb family.  Remind me about that if I forget.  We'll get the Whyntie line out the way first.  Are you OK with that?

Also, I don't want to spoil your fun - if you'd prefer to do the research yourself, just say.  I'll stop if you want.  As I mentioned before, I wouldn't have been doing this family for quite some time in any case.

Dave. 
-------------------

Offline daval57

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: Tuesday 30 September 14 09:12 BST (UK) »
I've just found 8 Whynties that ARE my blood relatives - the children of John b1811 and 'my' Hel(l)en Anderson. 

They will all be blood relatives common to both you and me. 

I'll log out of here for now and catch up before I look further.  Too much info available all at once!!!!   :o ;D
-------------------