Author Topic: Walker Robb and Whyntie, Moray and Banff  (Read 17521 times)

Online Forfarian

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • http://www.rootschat.com/links/01ruz/
    • View Profile
Re: looking for margaret Whynti
« Reply #27 on: Tuesday 30 September 14 10:12 BST (UK) »
looking for Margaret Whynti and james Robb they had a a daughter mary robb walker born in Fordyce.

Be aware that in Scotland a married woman does not legally lose her own surname. The married daughter of James Robb and Margaret Whyntie would be referred to in legal documents as "Mary Robb or Walker", not "Mary Robb Walker".
Never trust anything you find online (especially submitted trees and transcriptions on Ancestry, MyHeritage, FindMyPast and other commercial web sites) unless it's an image of an original document - and even then be wary because errors can and do occur.

Offline daval57

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Christmas 2011. My daughter Clare with me.
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: Tuesday 30 September 14 10:20 BST (UK) »
For the avoidance of duplication, be aware of this earlier topic

http://www.rootschat.com/forum/index.php?topic=700788.0

Thanks for the clarification and cross referencing Forfarian.

Moderator comment , various threads now merged.
-------------------
FORREST (Glasgow, Lanarkshire, Stirlingshire and Dunbartonshire)
ROONEY (Co Down, Co Antrim) 
BORTHWICK, FORTUNE, BARKER, SIVES (Lothians)
ANDERSON (Moray, Caithness)

Offline daval57

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: Tuesday 30 September 14 12:32 BST (UK) »
Back again Rainne.  I'm currently going over the children of James Robb and Margaret Whyntie.

As far as I can tell from FS, there were in fact 8 in all.   I've cross checked them with the census records I found earlier and it all ties in with a few very slight discrepancies in the ages - that doesn't concern me as it's not unusual and everything else ties in.

You should note that there are two Margarets, one born 1844 in Fordyce and another born 1862 in Kildrummy.  Again, this ties in nicely with the census records.   It is not unusual in Scotland that if a child dies young, then the name is 're-used' for a subsequent child.  The implication here is that Margaret b1844 died after the 1851 census, but before 1861 census.  The further child is born in 1862 and given the name Margaret again.  Hence, there being a child Margaret aged 8 in the 1871 census.

The children are:

James b22 Jan 1841 c30 jan 1841 Deskford
Helen c8 Nov 1842 Fordyce
Margaret c26 Oct 1844 Fordyce
Betty b1 Sep 1848 c12 Sep 1848 Fordyce (aka Elizabeth)
John b1 Jan 1851 c7 Jan 1851 Fordyce
Alexander b29 Jan 1854 c22 Feb 1854 Fordyce
Mary b13 June 1856 Fordyce
Margaret Reid b6 April 1862 Kildrummy, Aberdeenshire (Reid used as a middle name, as well as personalising the 2nd Margaret, could be a clue to the maiden name of a grandparent / great grandparent so keep this in mind - it might help in later searches for earlier ancestors).

I'm logging off again to type this up in my records.

-------------------

Offline daval57

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: George and Mary Robb Walker
« Reply #30 on: Tuesday 30 September 14 13:00 BST (UK) »
Jings Crivvens Help ma Boab! 

Gave me a heart attack there almost Mod!  One minute I'm reading through the various posts I've made and typing info from them, the next - they all disappeared on me. 
Thought they'd all gone.
Phew, took me a few seconds to realise that the various threads had been amalgamated.

Dinnae dae that again without warning!  :D

Dave
-------------------

Online Forfarian

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • http://www.rootschat.com/links/01ruz/
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: Tuesday 30 September 14 13:15 BST (UK) »
Crivvens jings an michty me!

A nivver kent there wis three threids on the ae femly!
Never trust anything you find online (especially submitted trees and transcriptions on Ancestry, MyHeritage, FindMyPast and other commercial web sites) unless it's an image of an original document - and even then be wary because errors can and do occur.

Offline daval57

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: Tuesday 30 September 14 13:25 BST (UK) »
Ha Ha Forfarian, it sure sent the wullies richt up me when a thocht they'd aw goan!

The plot thickens Rainne.
I was just reviewing some of the info in my records and realised that I have Rob(b) family in Morayshire too (Drainie, about 30 miles from Fordyce and Deskford). 
No obvious link (yet), but possibly a connection as they are related to my Andersons that took the  young lass Elisabeth Whyntie to Caithness. It's the same era too. 

Dave
-------------------

Offline Rainne

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Walker Robb and Whyntie, Moray and Banff
« Reply #33 on: Tuesday 30 September 14 14:44 BST (UK) »
no go for it I live in Oregon and im the only 1 doing this for my family .my grandparents had 4 children my mom was the youngest and the only living 1 left is my oldest aunt who is 97. I need all the help I can get
walker
robb
jay
whyntie

Offline daval57

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: Tuesday 30 September 14 14:48 BST (UK) »
OK Rainne,
That's me got my site up to date with everything mentioned in this thread back to the marriage of George Walker and Mary Robb (I've not included their children in my site as they are really too remote from my family.  That might change if I find a link between my Robb family and your Robb family).

If you care to send me a PM with your email address, I'll give you access to my site.  The way I have the trees laid out, it'll make it much easier for you to follow than this thread.

I'd be obliged if you do not share any information from my site, other than your blood relatives, ie, the Walkers, Robbs and Whynties and their direct ancestors / descendants.

I'll stress again that although all the information people have given you in this combined thread looks pretty accurate, you cannot rely on it as very little of it has been verified by actual documentation.  The only way you'll get that is by purchasing credits from SP, the pay per view site already mentioned a couple of times.  Of course, you may be lucky and find someone that has previously purchased the documents and is willing to let you have copies.  The actual documentation is worth paying for - it's not expensive considering what it contains and will verify for you. 
The good thing is, a lot of the groundwork has been done for you on here,.  This means you won't waste credits searching for or obtaining the incorrect documents.

Once you send me your email contact, if you decide to do that, I'll give you access to my tree and I'll send you a couple of examples of the sort of documents you can get from SP. 
Roughly speaking, each document will cost 6 credits.  30 credits costs £7 (7GBP - about $11/$12).

If I find out any more re the Whyntie or Robb families or their ancestors, I'll let you know when you reply.

Dave

I'm going to have a break from it now because i've pretty much been at it constantly for the last 12 hours!  I don't sleep too well normally so I enjoy the research to pass the time.  I get engrossed though and sometimes find it hard to stop.  :)
-------------------

Offline Rainne

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: Monday 03 November 14 18:29 GMT (UK) »
ok im now trying to find mary robb son by her first husband ive checked family search and lindix and all I could find is when he was born. his name is john Duncan  born march 9 1874 in Forres Moray Scotland. his father was alexander Duncan know nothing about him. I do have a picture of johns daughter janet know nothing about her except she was married to harry taylor  any help would be appreciated
walker
robb
jay
whyntie