Author Topic: Walker Robb and Whyntie, Moray and Banff  (Read 17605 times)

Offline Dark Island

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Walker Robb and Whyntie, Moray and Banff
« Reply #36 on: Thursday 05 February 15 22:16 GMT (UK) »
I am a direct relative of George Walker & Mary Robb of Clovenside, Forres. If interested in the Walker side of things, I can give you my tree starting:
"On 9 Sept’ 1881 at 61 High Street, Forres, George Walker, 24, a batchelor & cattle salesman’s assistant, m. Mary Robb, 25, (b. in Fordyce on 18 June 1856.) a domestic servant spinster of the said 61 High Street, Forres. Mary d. at Clovenside, Forres on 18 Jan’ 1908 aged 51".

I am the grandson of their daughter Mary Walker also b at Clovenside & who lived to 100!

Offline Romaniuk

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: Sunday 30 August 15 01:48 BST (UK) »
These were my GGP. My grandmother was Maggie Walker, changed to Margaret (her father was a wee bit tipsy when he registered the birth apparently!). Would love a photo of the headstone for Mary Robb Walker and any other info available. My grandmother was born in Briar Cottage. Was that in Findhorn or nearer to Forres? Many thanks!

Offline Forfarian

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • http://www.rootschat.com/links/01ruz/
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: Sunday 30 August 15 08:51 BST (UK) »
My grandmother was born in Briar Cottage. Was that in Findhorn or nearer to Forres? Many thanks!

Where was the birth registered? Because if her birthplace was in Findhorn, it would be registered in Kinloss, not in Forres.
Never trust anything you find online (especially submitted trees and transcriptions on Ancestry, MyHeritage, FindMyPast and other commercial web sites) unless it's an image of an original document - and even then be wary because errors can and do occur.

Offline Dark Island

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: Sunday 30 August 15 11:52 BST (UK) »

Hi Romaniuk,

"Margaret (“Maggie” or “Meg”) b. 3 June 1885 at Briar Cottage, Forres. By 1891 census, she was listed aged 5 with her family at 4 Nicholson Place, Forres. By 1901 census she was at Clovenside with them. She d. 7 June 1971 aged 86".

That's all I have on Maggie from which  you'll see that Briar Cottage was in Forres where most of the wider Walker family were then based. I have a fair amount on the earlier Walkers going back to Rafford etc should you want it.

Dark Island

Offline Romaniuk

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: Monday 31 August 15 03:27 BST (UK) »
Forfarian and Dark Island, Thanks to you both! Maggie Walker was registered in the County of Elgin if that is of help. Name changed to Margaret since 1904. She is buried with my grandfather Robert T. Kerr in Winnipeg, Manitoba Canada. Forfarian earlier Walker history is definitely of interest to me, if you don't mind.

Offline Forfarian

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • http://www.rootschat.com/links/01ruz/
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: Monday 31 August 15 08:09 BST (UK) »
Maggie Walker was registered in the County of Elgin if that is of help.
No help at all, since both Forres and Kinloss (including Findhorn) are in the County of Moray, formerly known as either Elginshire or the County of Elgin. In this case it's the parish (or district) of registration that should be informative.

Dark Island has obviously seen the birth certificate and confirms that Briar Cottage is/was in Forres.

According to LIBINDX http://libindx.moray.gov.uk/mainmenu.asp Briar Cottage is/was in Caroline Street in Forres. Reference PN013749.

Forfarian earlier Walker history is definitely of interest to me, if you don't mind.
I don't have anything on this family other than what is in this thread. You're not related to me as far as I know.
Never trust anything you find online (especially submitted trees and transcriptions on Ancestry, MyHeritage, FindMyPast and other commercial web sites) unless it's an image of an original document - and even then be wary because errors can and do occur.

Offline Cath.

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: Saturday 02 January 16 17:40 GMT (UK) »
Hi Rainne. I have just started looking into my Mother's side of the family. Her father was James Walker, son of George Walker and Mary Robb. The information we have found matches everything we've read about the family you have researched. I think we are related! We live in Ayr, Scotland, and have just started looking into the family tree.

Offline Dark Island

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: Sunday 03 January 16 12:00 GMT (UK) »
Hi Cath,

I'll leave Rainne to fill you in on the Walkers. She has what I have. My Granny was Mary Walker, sister of your Grandfather James Walker. Come back to me if unable to connect up with Rainne.

Dark Island

Offline Cath.

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: Monday 04 January 16 17:17 GMT (UK) »
Hi Dark Island

That would be good, thank you.

It's so nice to know I've got relatives out there. My grandfather James Walker married Mary Mathieson in Larkhall, they had 4 daughters. My mother was the second eldest, Mary Robb Walker, and family lived in Glasgow.

Cath