Author Topic: Walker Robb and Whyntie, Moray and Banff  (Read 17602 times)

Offline ghostwhisperer

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
Re: George and Mary Robb Walker
« Reply #9 on: Saturday 09 August 14 10:18 BST (UK) »
127. In loving memory of our dear mother Mary Robb who died at Clovenside, Forres 18th Jan 1908 aged 51 years. Also her son Richard John Walker, Sergt. 1/6th  Seaforth Highlanders killed in action in France 2nd June 1916 aged 19 years. Also of our father George Walker who died 19th March 1919 aged 61 years. Also her son Joseph Walker who died at Vancouver 30th April 1924 aged 33 years.

If you private message me your email address I can send you a photo of the stone.

Offline runmerry

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: George and Mary Robb Walker
« Reply #10 on: Sunday 10 August 14 22:13 BST (UK) »
From the Morayshire Roll of Honour 1914-1918

WALKER, Richard John. No. 2623, Sgt., 6th Seaforths; born at Clovenside, Forres, 11th August, 1896; joined at Elgin, Nov., 1914; served in France ; killed in action in France, 2nd June, 1916. Son of George Walker, Clovenside, Forres, and Mary Robb or Walker (deceased). Occupation saw trimmer.

CWGC has him listed buried in Maroeuil British Cemetry  www.cwgc.org

Regards
Jen

Offline Rainne

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
looking for my ggm mary robb walker
« Reply #11 on: Monday 29 September 14 18:08 BST (UK) »
im looking for my ggm mary robb walker born 1857 in  Fordyce Aberdeen. she married George walker born in rafford moray Scotland . any help would be appreciated. I do not have her parents names

Post now merged with earlier topic.
walker
robb
jay
whyntie

Offline Forfarian

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • http://www.rootschat.com/links/01ruz/
    • View Profile
Re: looking for my ggm mary robb walker
« Reply #12 on: Monday 29 September 14 19:03 BST (UK) »
Historically, Fordyce belongs to Banffshire, not Aberdeen. It has only been in what is now called Aberdeenshire for about 20 years, so there is no point looking for your Mary in Aberdeen or Aberdeenshire.

The online index at Scotland's People tells me that George Walker married Mary Robb in Rafford, Moray in 1881.

You need to go to www.scotlandspeople.gov.uk, invest in a few credits as modest cost, and use one to find and five to download an image of the marriage certificate. This will tell you the full names of both George's and Mary's parents, including their mothers' maiden surnames.

Have a look at http://libindx.moray.gov.uk/mainmenu.asp which tells me that Mary Robb, wife of George Walker, died in Forres, Moray on 18 January 1908 aged 51. If this age is accurate, she was born between 19 January 1856 and 18 January 1857. Her death certificate is also available from Scotland's People and it too will tell you her parents' full names.

There is one birth on SP for a Mary Robb in Fordyce in 1856. The International Genealogical Index at www.familysearch.org says that Mary Robb, daughter of James Robb and Margaret Whyntie, was born in the parish of Fordyce on 18 June 1856. It looks likely that this is your Mary, but you cannot assume that it is; you need additional confirmation from the marriage and/or death certificate to be certain.
Never trust anything you find online (especially submitted trees and transcriptions on Ancestry, MyHeritage, FindMyPast and other commercial web sites) unless it's an image of an original document - and even then be wary because errors can and do occur.

Offline Rainne

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
looking for margaret Whynti
« Reply #13 on: Tuesday 30 September 14 01:11 BST (UK) »
looking for Margaret Whynti and james Robb both born in 1817 Margaret died in 1882. james I think in 1900. they had a a daughter mary robb walker born in Fordyce. any info will help
walker
robb
jay
whyntie

Offline daval57

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Christmas 2011. My daughter Clare with me.
    • View Profile
Re: looking for margaret Whynti
« Reply #14 on: Tuesday 30 September 14 02:43 BST (UK) »
I'm going by memory at the moment as I don't have full access to my records right now.
This might be totally useless to you but I have a relative somewhere in my mother's line who moved to Wick, Caithness from Deskford.  She was living with her uncle, an Anderson (her mother's maiden name)
I can't offer specific names or dates right now but her name was Elizabeth Whyntie and was born around mid 19th C. 

I'll get back to you with what I can when I can log in to my records.

I always recall thinking it was an unusual name which is why it sticks in my mind.  The name, in addition to the Banffs connection, might indicate a family tie somewhere. 

Thought it was worth mentioning - might give you some obscure clue to 'your' Whynti.

Dave
-------------------
FORREST (Glasgow, Lanarkshire, Stirlingshire and Dunbartonshire)
ROONEY (Co Down, Co Antrim) 
BORTHWICK, FORTUNE, BARKER, SIVES (Lothians)
ANDERSON (Moray, Caithness)

Offline Rainne

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Tuesday 30 September 14 03:09 BST (UK) »
I would really appreciate that when you can get to it  it would have been gggm and gggf I have no clue about them
walker
robb
jay
whyntie

Offline daval57

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Tuesday 30 September 14 04:06 BST (UK) »
I won't be able to access my own records until probably later today but my interest is piqued.

When you say you are "looking for Margaret Whynti and...", what info is it you are looking for?  Since you've not been specific I don't want to spend too much time on it just now in case I'm either duplicating things you already know, or I go off on a tangent. :)

Will post a couple of items that might help.

Did a very quick search of census records in Banffs and there are a number of census records for Whyntie families born Banffs.

In 1851 there is one family that is a possible, but you may have this already:

Address: Windsor, Parish of Fordyce

James Robb    34, head, crofter ag lab, born Fordyce
Margaret Robb    32, wife, born Deskford
Helen Robb    8,
Margaret Robb    6
Betty Robb    3
John Robb    3 Mo
(all children born Fordyce). 

I can't see them for sure in 1861 but there is a possible family living in Kildrummy, Aberdeens. that might be them although there is a slight discrepancy in the age of the boy John and also, the father is not there (she is described as "wife" though, not "widow".

Address: Tyries 2, Parish of Kildrummy

Margaret Robb    42, farmer's wife, born Deskford
Helen Robb    18
Elisabeth Robb    12  (obviously this could be "Betty")
John Robb    9
Alexander Robb    7
Mary Robb    4
George Gray    50, visitor, farmer servant, b.Deskford
(again, all children born Fordyce).

1871, they appear to be in Forres, Morayshire

James is now a spirit dealer and is living with wife "Margret" and children Helen, John, Alex and Margret.

Address, 131 High St, Forres

James Robb    53, spirit dealer, Fordyce
Margret Robb    51, Deskford
Helen Robb    26, dom servant, Fordyce
John Robb    18, blacksmith, Fordyce
Alex Robb    16, mason, Fordyce
Margret Robb    8, scholar, Deskford

63 & 65 High St, Forres

James Robb    64, Grocer and spirit merchant, Fordyce
Margaret Robb    62, Deskford
Mary Rob(b)    24, general domestic servant, Fordyce
John Duncan    7, grandson, Forres (states mother as Mary Rob)

Haven't looked for Margaret later as you indicate she died 1882.
Don't see James obviously in 1891 but there is 1 James Robb, a 74yo widow from Scotland living with a Berkenshaw family in Newton, Lancaster.  Occupation though is shown as a post watchman.

Going back to 1841 now....

Living at Windsor (see 1851)
James Robb    20, farmer
Margt Robb    20
James Robb    4 Mo
Margt Gray    3
(all born Banffs - not specific)

(adults ages usually rounded in 1841)

I would point out again, these are from very quick searches I've carried out and I have done nothing really to verify they are the correct people, they just look likely to me.   They are also just the transcripts so are only as reliable as the person that input the info to Ancestry. 

Hope these are the correct family and that it helps you out.

Dave

-------------------

Offline daval57

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Tuesday 30 September 14 04:25 BST (UK) »
Pretty sure that's the correct family I've been looking at. 

Quick search on FamilySearch shows James Robb and Margaret Whytnie had children:
Helen, christened 8 Nov 1842, Fordyce
Betty, b 1 Sep 1848, c 12 Sep 1848, Fordyce
Margaret, c 26 Oct 1844, Fordyce
Alexander, b 29 Jan 1854, c 22 Feb 1854, Fordyce
John, b 1 Jan 1851, c 7 Jan 1851m Fordyce
Jas. , b22 Jan 1841, c30 Jan 1841, Deskford

You'd be able to get copies of the actual OPRs for these from ScotlandsPeople, or if you're able to visit the Archives in Edinburgh, or The Mitchell in Glasgow etc. 

(Edited - I see now you're in Oregon)

-------------------