Author Topic: John Bulmer of Durham  (Read 5638 times)

Offline 0191alex11

• RootsChat Senior
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
John Bulmer of Durham
« on: Saturday 09 August 14 16:35 BST (UK) »
Hi!
    Can anyone help with the following?

I have a John Bulmer born 1788/9 at Durham St Oswald. He was a Master Boot and Shoe maker. On the 1871 census his profession is listed as "Queen's Bedsman, Durham". Can anyone shed any light on this?!

Any help much appreciated! :D

Offline stanmapstone

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: John Bulmer of Durham
« Reply #1 on: Saturday 09 August 14 16:47 BST (UK) »
It is Bedesman.

Stan
Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline stanmapstone

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Saturday 09 August 14 16:56 BST (UK) »
A Bedesman was someone who is paid or endowed to pray for others.

Stan

Offline stanmapstone

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Saturday 09 August 14 17:11 BST (UK) »
Durham Cathedral's Bedesmen were originally eight elderly men from the 'parish' appointed by and paid for by the Crown. These days Durham Cathedral's Bedesmen may be men or women from all walks of life and their roll in the cathedral is one of assisting visitors and members of the congregation, they wear maroon gowns. See page 23 of this download  http://www.rootschat.com/links/019bu/

Stan

Offline 0191alex11

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Saturday 09 August 14 17:37 BST (UK) »
Thanks Stan! Wondered what a bedsman was?!! Will have a look at the link you gave and many thanks! :D

Offline Ian in Canada

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Tuesday 12 August 14 02:15 BST (UK) »
My maternal grandmother was a BULMER from West Hartlepool - a fishing / boat-making family.  From bedesman to fishing would be quite a jump, but in family history every avenue should be explored !
She was Elizabeth BULMER (1882 to 1971); father was Horsley BULMER (1844 to 1887); she married Robert LOWREY in W. Hartlepool and they lived in Newcastle upon Tyne.  I knew her well when I was very young.  She was widowed at an early age.
I have all the easy information from UK censuses, BDMs etc., but perhaps there is a relationship to the John BULMER of Durham, or possibly a Rootschat reader can tie in with the W. Hartlepool BULMER families ?
I have lived in Ottawa, Canada for many years and have often wondered if any of the BULMERs in Canada were originally from the W. Hartlepool group ? 
Any comments or information would be much appreciated.
Thank you,  Ian.

Offline shop175

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Thursday 17 March 16 17:56 GMT (UK) »
Hello Ian, I've not looked on this site for ages, so sorry for the long time in replying. The Bulmer family are very old (Saxon) and appear all down the eastern edge of Northern England with particular emphasis on the areas between Newcastle and Hull, around York, and some areas in Essex. My mothers family are from Hartlepool, and, yes there were some relatives who moved to Canada (Calgary and Vancouver) in the early 20th Century. John Bulmer emigrated on 14.05.1911 on the Hisperian from Liverpool to Quebec with his sister, Margaret.
Horsley Bulmer and his brother Francis were drowned in the Tees estuary on the 9th August 1887. Their bodies were recovered and they were buried in Spion Kop cemetery, Hartlepool on the 25th and 30th August respectively. Horsley had five children and a fund was raised in Hartlepool for their benefit. There is a memorial in the cemetery to them both

Offline Ian in Canada

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Monday 21 March 16 01:54 GMT (UK) »
Hello from Canada, Horsley & Francis BULMER who drowned in the Tees estuary were in my family tree !  Horsley was my grandmother Elizabeth's father.  I have a fair bit of info on the family, but did not know that John & Margaret had crossed the pond to Canada on 14.05.1911.  That is a great lead which I will follow up.  Many thanks. :) .  Do you live anywhere near the Spion Kop Cemetery ?  I would love to have a photo of the memorial to Horsley & Francis if you have one or can get one .  Age and health prevent me from going to Hartlepool, and I have no relatives in the UK who could help.  I very much appreciate your assistance.  Cheers,  Ian.

Offline shop175

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Monday 21 March 16 11:29 GMT (UK) »
Hello Ian,
It would appear that we are related as the John who emigrated to Canada was my mother's Uncle and the son of John Bulmer (1849-1928) and Mary Garbutt (1864-1893). Francis and Horsley were his (John the elder) brothers. I have a family tree which includes over 200 Bulmers going back to Mark Bulmer 1648-1731. I no longer live near Hartlepool, though my sisters live just outside Stockton, however, I was able to get an image of the headstone from the "billiongraves" website. Simply put in Francis Bulmer and then select the right date and the image will come up.
I am hoping to go to Hartlepool this summer and will try and find the memorial.
Glynn