Author Topic: Kane's and Englishby's at Ardee Bog  (Read 6534 times)

Offline GDub71

• RootsChat Member
  • Miaow¬
    • View Profile
Kane's and Englishby's at Ardee Bog
« on: Saturday 09 August 14 18:10 BST (UK) »
After hunting all over Ireland for my Gt Grandfather, with a little bit of online assistance, I have finally tracked him down to Townparks, Ardee, formerly Ardee Bog. I wouldn't mind, but I was there in 2008 researching my Gt Grandmother's Kieran line, thinking that my Gt Grandfather was from elsewhere.

Turns out that Lawrence Kane b.1887 was an illegitimate child between John Kane, Labourer and Mary Englishby. Lawrence is listed under Cane in the 1901 Census with his mother and her 2 unmarried sisters Margaret and Catherine. Mary is 45 at this point, Lawrence 13. By 1911, Lawrence is living with elderly Aunt Catherine Englishby at John Street, Ardee as Laurence McCay age 21. This can be accounted for. My Grandmother told me years ago that Larry had a half-sister called Mary McKay who was a Nun. Did his mother Mary marry a McKay between 1901 and 1911 and have a daughter called Mary? If so, I can't find either of them in the 1911 Census. Also, Mary was already 45 in 1901, so couldn't have had many child-bearing years left in her, surely?

Further down John Street in 1901, are a John Englishby and his wife Margaret Corry, undoubtedly John is a brother of Mary and her sisters.

I have 2 main areas that interest me here. I would like to find out more about both of Larry's parents. John Kane may well be the same John who shows up twice in the Petty Sessions in 1897 as a Farmer at Ardee bog, drunk in charge of an ass and cart and then letting his ass wander in the public road. That one made me laugh. More disturbingly, in 1899, a John Kane, resident of the Idiot Ward at Ardee Workhouse has tried to assault another idiot (not my words, very un-PC). He strikes his head off the cell wall and refuses to take food. He is to be moved to Richmond Lunatic Asylum (Dublin?). Is this the same man and is he my Gg Gt Grandfather? It might explain why I haven't been able to find his death in Louth!

I would like to know more about the Englishby's also. Like the Kane's there appear to be a great many baptisms at Ardee prior to 1900 and yet only one or two families in the 1901 census. What happened to them all? Who were Mary's parents?

Any help appreciated from distant relatives, citizens of Ardee or nayone with access to those vital records?
Banffshire - WILSON, RIACH, CALDER, MUIRY, PETERKIN, CRAIB, OGG, CRUICKSHANK, FARQUHAR, COPLAND, HAY, SHAW, HIND, STRATHDEE, MORRISON, WISEMAN, MOIR, MILNE, SHEPHERD, BLACK, BRUCE, RAMSAY, PEARSON, MCPHERSON, SHEED, MCANDIE
Morayshire - MAVER, RAMSAY, PHINN, SIMPSON
Aberdeenshire - MCINTOSH, GILLAN
Kincardineshire - DUTHIE
Ross-shire - MCANGUS, MCKENZIE, TARRELL,
Inverness-shire - MACKAY, FERGUSON, MACCUISH, BEATON, GILLIES, MACDONALD, MACVICAR, MACDIARMID
Louth - KIERAN, KANE, ENGLISHBY, FEGAN

Offline dathai

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Kane's and Englishby's at Ardee Bog
« Reply #1 on: Saturday 09 August 14 20:25 BST (UK) »
Deaths in Ardee
1901 Mary Englishby age 50
1910 Margaret Engishby age 60

Offline glensman

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Saturday 09 August 14 20:54 BST (UK) »
Graham

When I was researching your previous query,  I came across numerous (about 30) entries for Laurence Kane of Ardee in the Dundalk Petty Sessions Registers.  In some (around 1906) his children were listed and the entries stretched as far as 1912 which is possibly the limit of that set of records.  Of course I cannot be sure that all related to this Laurence but many undoubtedly did.

In addition I found the death of Laurence Kane of Ardee aged 68 in Jul-Sept 1934, volume 2, page 120. The entry gives the county as Louth, Meath whatever that means.

Offline dathai

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Saturday 09 August 14 21:10 BST (UK) »
John Englishby died 28 Aug 1908 at Ardee Bog see Calendar of wills to wife Margaret.
Margaret still alive in 1911 age 80 at John Street dies 1912 age 90.

Offline GDub71

• RootsChat Member
  • Miaow¬
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Saturday 09 August 14 23:54 BST (UK) »
I'm fairly certain that the Laurence Kane in the Petty Sessions, is the brother of John and therefore the Uncle of My Gt Grandfather Lawrence, certainly in most of the instances anyway. More than likely he was named after him. It is possible that some of the later references are to my Gt Grandfather, but by all account she was a very mild and gentle man, probably why he left Ireland during the troubles.

The Lawrence Kane died 1934 is the Uncle(sic)
The Margaret Englishby in John Street in 1811 may be the mother of John and his sisters (I suspect).

Thanks for you help guys, I wish I had access to the parish records.
Banffshire - WILSON, RIACH, CALDER, MUIRY, PETERKIN, CRAIB, OGG, CRUICKSHANK, FARQUHAR, COPLAND, HAY, SHAW, HIND, STRATHDEE, MORRISON, WISEMAN, MOIR, MILNE, SHEPHERD, BLACK, BRUCE, RAMSAY, PEARSON, MCPHERSON, SHEED, MCANDIE
Kincardineshire - DUTHIE
Inverness-shire - MACKAY, FERGUSON, MACCUISH, BEATON, GILLIES, MACDONALD, MACVICAR, MACDIARMID

Offline dathai

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Sunday 10 August 14 11:29 BST (UK) »
The Margaret Englishby in John St 1911 is most likely Johns wife if you cross reference with the 1901 Census there are only two of the proper age one is Marys sister and the other Johns wife with John being deceased since 1908 whoever buried Margaret in 1912 would most likely be guessing her age.

Offline GDub71

• RootsChat Member
  • Miaow¬
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Sunday 10 August 14 13:42 BST (UK) »
You Could be right, although that means she's gone from 60 in 1901 to 80 in 1911 and 90 by 1912. She should have used Oil of Ulay. I have seen big age discrepancies between Census records but to gain 10 years is a lot. Although, saying that, if it was John's mother, she would probably show in the 1901 Census, so that would suggest you may be right.
Kincardineshire - DUTHIE

Offline glensman

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Sunday 10 August 14 19:51 BST (UK) »
I am not sure if this is relevant but I came across the will of John Kane of Townparks, Ardee who died 9 July 1899.  Probate was awarded to his daughter Kate Conlan.  Note that there is some confusion about the signatory and about the status of Kate in these records.  You can see the will at:

http://www.proni.gov.uk/index/search_the_archives/will_calendars.htm

Search for surname Kane and put Louth in the Full Abstract line.  You will also see a couple of other Kanes.

Offline glensman

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Sunday 10 August 14 19:59 BST (UK) »
In the PRONI records you can also see the will of John Englishby (which Dathai mentioned above) who died 28 August 1908.  It doesn't add a lot but interesting nevertheless.

http://applications.proni.gov.uk/DCAL_PRONI_WillsCalendar/willsSearchResultsDetails.aspx