Author Topic: Service Bn The Welsh Regiment,The Welsh Pioneers  (Read 2141 times)

Offline debs14

• RootsChat Senior
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Service Bn The Welsh Regiment,The Welsh Pioneers
« on: Saturday 09 August 14 19:42 BST (UK) »
Hi can anyone help me with the above i have found a new relative of mine Wilberforce Howard Cooke,he has married into my family and ive found that he enlisted in 1915 to the above via attestation papers but there not very legible,I have managed to find that he had 2 regimental numbers 42258 and other regimental number 80077.
Can anyone help me with this,any information will be greatly received
Many thanks
debbie
Barnes,Driffill,Altoft,Thompson,Metcalfe,Owbridge,
Houlton,Parker,Barrett,Dowse Wild,Kennan all in and around scunthorpe,winterton,winteringham,burton stather,Paull nr hull, Preston nr hull,caistor,market rasen,middle rasen, Storrs -Scunthorpe,Parrett-Hull,Clark -Tealby, Booth,Calhoun- Driffill-Bradford,Londonderry,Ellerbeck- Kirby Yorks,Stephenson- Yorks,Jowett -Thorne yorks,James.

Online CaroleW

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Barney 1993-2004
    • View Profile
Re: Service Bn The Welsh Regiment,The Welsh Pioneers
« Reply #1 on: Saturday 09 August 14 22:56 BST (UK) »
Freebmd shows birth 1894 Warrington

Attestation papers show address as 18 Green Wood St, Altrincham occ clerk aged 22yrs 2 mths and he was married to Elsie nee Hardy

All writing appears legible and shows various postings and transfers.

You may find it easier to either download and print them off or magnify each one on screen and transcribe from them
Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
Carlin (Ireland & Liverpool) Doughty & Wright (Liverpool) Dick & Park (Scotland & Liverpool)

Offline debs14

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Sunday 10 August 14 16:37 BST (UK) »
Hi carolew,
many thanks can i ask where you found a clear copy of his attestation papers the one i found on ancestry site are illegible like i said you cant even read half the pages as theyve been folded wrong it looks like and theres black splotches where information is written
I was also wantin g some help on trying to find out what he did and what rank,also which battalion/regiment he was in a online search has loads and without knowing which he was a part of i cant do any further research.
many thanks
Debbie xx
Barnes,Driffill,Altoft,Thompson,Metcalfe,Owbridge,
Houlton,Parker,Barrett,Dowse Wild,Kennan all in and around scunthorpe,winterton,winteringham,burton stather,Paull nr hull, Preston nr hull,caistor,market rasen,middle rasen, Storrs -Scunthorpe,Parrett-Hull,Clark -Tealby, Booth,Calhoun- Driffill-Bradford,Londonderry,Ellerbeck- Kirby Yorks,Stephenson- Yorks,Jowett -Thorne yorks,James.

Offline BradfordPal

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Sunday 10 August 14 19:55 BST (UK) »
Hi Debbie

I had a look at his Attestation papers on the same site as you and whilst they are a bit singed round the edges I agree with CaroleW that they seem to be perfectly legible (even in the Standard View).  Remember that of the 40 per cent of records that survived the Blitz most of them are either burnt or have water damage.  I am afraid they are what they are.

I did find his MIC if that helps.  Wilberforce is spelled incorrectly on the card so did not come up for the first few searches.  Anyway you can check it out for yourself but the detail is:

COOKE, Wilbeforce 
Corporal 42258 Welsh Regt
Durham Light Infantry 58583 and 80077.

Hope that helps.

Martin
Ingham, (Bradford) Firth (Huddersfield/Bradford)
Regan. (Ireland, Staffordshire, Bradford)
Winterburn (North and West Riding)

Researching 16th Bn West Yorkshire Regiment (1st Bradford Pals).

War Graves material acknowledged as being sourced from and copyright of Commonwealth War Graves Commission, from www.cwgc.org

Census information and War Diary content Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline jec

• RootsChat Pioneer
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Sunday 31 January 16 10:27 GMT (UK) »
Hi there,
I see you are looking for Wilberforce Howard Cooke. He was my grandfather and  I have a lot of info about him and his family if you are interested.
regards jec