Author Topic: Mary Jane Fleming b Portarlington, c1818  (Read 5768 times)

Offline jaybelnz

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • My Runaway Bride! Thanks to Paula Too!
    • View Profile
Mary Jane Fleming b Portarlington, c1818
« on: Monday 11 August 14 16:17 BST (UK) »
I'm resurrecting my search for the birth record of my great grandmother, MARY JANE FLEMING, b c 1818.  On her 1845 DUBLIN marriage record - to John Gibbons Mathews - her father is named as DAVID FLEMING. No mother named.  English census info I have for her states she is Irish and born in Portarlington.  Someone here on Rootschat a couple of years ago took a look at the original for me, (but I can't locate the post, sorry) re identifying the place, and it was a bit unclear at that time whether it actually did say Portarlington.

Recently I have found several more English census entries for her, in her married name of Mathews, and they quite clearly state Nationality to be Irish, and place of birth to be Portarlington.  Taking her age from these census entries, she would have been born around 1818.

I have tried many times on Ancestry, FindMyPast and Family Search, and never been able to come up with a thing.  Has anybody got any ideas where else I could look. I've got Scotland's People, but not Ireland's People. 

Funnily enough, the record of her Marriage was my very first research find 10 years or so ago when I first began to build on what I already had from my parents.  I had found the marriage entry on the old IGI and was winding through a microfilm at the local LDS, and all of a sudden there it was. There were several others quietly working away in the room with me at the time, and it was very quiet. I  remember yelling out, there they are, or something like that.  Then I felt very embarrassed and looked around - they were all looking at me with big grins on their faces!!  Someone asked if that was my first find, and they all said they remembered how that felt!!

::) Why do I always go into a big ramble when I want to ask a simple question!!  But yes I guess that first find is pretty special.  But anyway, I'd be very grateful for some help with my Mary Jane Fleming please.

Thanks
Jeanne   :)
"We analyse the evidence to draw a conclusion. The better the sources and information, the stronger the evidence, which leads to a reliable conclusion!" Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk.

MATHEWS, Ireland, England, USA & Canada, NZ
FLEMING,   Ireland
DUNNELL,  England
PAULSON,  England
DOUGLAS, Scotland, Ireland, NZ
WALKER,   Scotland
WATSON,  England, Ayrshire, Scotland, NZ
McAUGHTRIE, Ayrshire, Scotland, NZ
MASON,     Scotland, England, NZ
& Connections

Offline taramcdsmall

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Mary Jane Fleming b Portarlington, c1818
« Reply #1 on: Monday 11 August 14 17:52 BST (UK) »

Offline taramcdsmall

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Monday 11 August 14 18:18 BST (UK) »
As far as I'm aware all the marriage licences at the time were ISSUED through Dublin and does not meant that the couple actually married in Dublin.

Tara

Offline jaybelnz

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
Re: Mary Jane Fleming b Portarlington, Ireland c1818
« Reply #3 on: Tuesday 12 August 14 06:41 BST (UK) »
Thanks Tara.  Mary Jane's address in the 1845 marriage info shows her usual place of residence as Triton Terrace, Tritonville.  The grooms Mathews 2 sisters, in their marriage info, also living in Dublin, in Aungier Street. One if them married in St Peters Church,and one in St Kevin's.

The groom's usual place of residence was Nottingham. He was a Sergeant of Lancers in 12th Royal Lancers. His birthplace in census info - Newry, Ireland. And that place has also been confirmed from several later English census records that I have recently found.

I think I have that correct from memory.  I located my original posts on the Dublin board,there are a few that have been merged in this respect, and they are now together on the Dublin board. Shane was helping me with those, and whom of course is a genius, but with me recently being able to determine from several later English census sources that she was indeed born in Portarlington, I felt it might be more appropriate for me to post this new and more definitive topic for Mary Jane to the Laois board.  Hope it was ok for me to do that. The marriage record only shows her father, David Fleming.

Thanks again Tara
Jeanne  :)
"We analyse the evidence to draw a conclusion. The better the sources and information, the stronger the evidence, which leads to a reliable conclusion!" Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk.

FLEMING,   Ireland
DUNNELL,  England
PAULSON,  England
WALKER,   Scotland
& Connections

Offline Sinann

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Tuesday 12 August 14 08:10 BST (UK) »
Looking on the National Library of Ireland site
http://www.nli.ie/GetAttachment.aspx?id=da336de9-d90b-4d71-af14-8aa7de999a39
page 60
Portarlington Baptisms start in 1820 so not looking good.

Online heywood

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Tuesday 12 August 14 08:38 BST (UK) »
Hello again,

Tithe Applotments 1825 show a David Fleming in Kilanure, civil parish Lea. http://titheapplotmentbooks.nationalarchives.ie/search/tab/home.jsp

I think this is listed as Killinure here  and Portarlington town is in the same parish

heywood
Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline jaybelnz

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Tuesday 12 August 14 09:53 BST (UK) »
Thanks heywood.  I had a look at those two links, but don't really understand what I could get out of that.  But I did try a couple of searches, but only got no result. Probably cos I don't really know what I'm looking for on those sites.  Getting a bit beyond me.

David Fleming, the father, is stated to be an officer in the Royal Irish Artillery, on the 1865 marriage details of Mary Jane. I've also been enquiring re a military record for him over on the Military board. 

Oh well, one day... I Keep the faith!  Maybe some new records will magically appear in my search results in Ancestry,FindMyPast etc!,  Maybe my great grandmother will appear to me in a dream one night, and tell me who her Mum and gran were!  Or tell me where her dad's military record is. 

I'm guessing if it was all easy, it would take all the challenges away, and lessen the thrill of finding the simplest little thing that has proven itself to be very elusive! 

I keep a pen and paper beside my bed now, because sometimes In the night when  - I can't sleep because of all the people running around in my head, having races to talk to me but no winners there, - have the most amazing creative thought about a new search.  By morning I've forgotten it, so I write them down now.  Yes, I know I'm one crazy lady.  But hey, it's great when I get a result, and it's great to be a member here and be able to ask for help when I need it.

Once again Heywood, thank you so much for your work and input. It's really appreciated.

:) Jeanne

FLEMING,   Ireland
DUNNELL,  England
PAULSON,  England
WALKER,   Scotland
& Connections

Offline taramcdsmall

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Tuesday 12 August 14 10:01 BST (UK) »
Hi There

NOOOOOOOO

Heywood found you gold there !

This map shows you Killanure, just outside of Portarlington.

I shall be back to you in a mo with the David Fleming reference !

https://maps.google.com/maps/ms?ie=UTF8&t=m&oe=UTF8&msa=0&msid=205710848473183333143.0004d0566e5cd67d37dbe&dg=feature

Tara

Offline taramcdsmall

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Tuesday 12 August 14 10:03 BST (UK) »