Author Topic: Robert Boyce of Ringsend, Coleraine & Philadelphia  (Read 2760 times)

Offline Johnsderry

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Robert Boyce of Ringsend, Coleraine & Philadelphia
« Reply #9 on: Wednesday 11 October 17 14:16 BST (UK) »
Hi there

I am a 19 year old from Derry City and I have been researching my family history the past few weeks. I have found out that I am connected to these specific boyces.

My grandmothers parents where Michael convery (maghera) and Margaret (Maggie Jane) Boyce , her father was Thomas Boyce who married Eliza Ann Mc Keevor in 1896. However they married in a roman catholic chapel? How come his father was married in a church of Ireland chapel? His father was the John Boyce mentioned here and from the information on this page , his father was Robert boyce?

If anybody has any more information for me that would be great.

Thanks.
john.

Offline amcg

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Wednesday 11 October 17 18:56 BST (UK) »
Hi John

Yes - it is the same family!

John and Mary married in Aghadowey Church of Ireland as you say - both are from Maevemanougher. John's father is called Robert Boyce - Mary's is called Edward Friel.

If you checkout the 1831 Census - Robert Boyce of Maevemanougher & his family are Presbyterian. Edward Friel and his family of Bushtown are Roman Catholic.

I cannot categorically state that these are in fact the parents of John and Mary but one should consider a marriage of mixed religion to be a possible explanation of why the marriage occurred in Church of Ireland.

The child births/baptisms that I located for the children of John and Mary record them as Roman Catholic.

Regards

Offline boycey1969

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Sunday 04 November 18 04:53 GMT (UK) »
Hi ,
The connection for Johnsderry is my family from Ringsend and they were Roman Catholics living in Shanlongford which is near Cam,  Boleran. My grandfather William (Liam) died in the early eighties , he married Rosemary McAteer from Kilrea in Derry and had the children as below

William _Limavady , Patrick _Ringsend , Josephine_Ringsend , Anthony _Dungiven, Philomena _Limavady , Marie _Limavady ,Martin _Limavady

One of the brothers John went to America , Thomas  and Eliza McKeever were my great grandparents who I never saw.

http://www.census.nationalarchives.ie/pages/1911/Londonderry/Ringsend/Shanlongford/652553/
http://www.census.nationalarchives.ie/pages/1901/Londonderry/Ringsend/Belraugh/1516698/

The McKeever connection is great great granny McKeever

http://www.census.nationalarchives.ie/pages/1911/Londonderry/Ringsend/Shanlongford/587727/

There are now generations of Boyces in Castlebar Co.Mayo , Castlefinn Donegal , Raleigh NC USA , Dungiven and Limavady.

Hope this fills in a few gaps,

Martin Boyce