Author Topic: Isabella Pit - Blyth  (Read 19149 times)

Offline Yossarian

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Isabella Pit - Blyth
« Reply #18 on: Sunday 24 August 14 10:47 BST (UK) »
I remember the Bella Pit, although not when it was in operation. I've been trying to find a photo of the old smouldering pit heap before it was landscaped. There was hostility between kids from the two areas that adjoined the pit: Cowpen Estate and the area around the colliery rows. The Bella, and the so-called Red Rock Canyon that stood nearby, was bandit territory, and getting stopped by a gang of lads in those badlands was a nightmare.   

"Are you a 'Bella' or a Cowpener?" they would ask.

"Erm. . . which are you?" I would reply weakly.

I also fell in the Yellowbabby once - wearing white jeans.

Offline Pete E

• RootsChat Member
  • Man in his natural environment
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: Wednesday 18 February 15 10:44 GMT (UK) »
Yes funny how when we think back it is usually the happy memories that come to the fore. I remember being in a "gang fight" in the early seventies. This consisted of two large groups of kids one lot from the Bella and one lot from the Cowpen Farm Estate throwing stones at each other from about twenty to thirty yards. This epic battle took place at the bottom of Ford drive roughly where Norham close now stands. In fact it may have been during the construction of the close, thus a ready supply of ammunition was available. The result was a trip to the Thomas Knight for me and a plastic spray applied to my split head where a well, or not aimed stone had connected. Still happy days eh!!
Northumberland; Mann, Lynn, Waters, Pyle, Murray.   Yorkshire; Ellis, Heckison, Proctor.<br />Lincolnshire; Wilkinson, Dawson.<br />Cumberland; Doran, Murray. Cheshire; Sutton,

Offline blythian

• RootsChat Extra
  • YOUNG, TAYLOR, HENDERSON, KEENLYSIDE
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: Friday 20 February 15 10:49 GMT (UK) »
I remember the Bella Pit, although not when it was in operation. I've been trying to find a photo of the old smouldering pit heap before it was landscaped. There was hostility between kids from the two areas that adjoined the pit: Cowpen Estate and the area around the colliery rows. The Bella, and the so-called Red Rock Canyon that stood nearby, was bandit territory, and getting stopped by a gang of lads in those badlands was a nightmare.   

"Are you a 'Bella' or a Cowpener?" they would ask.

"Erm. . . which are you?" I would reply weakly.

I also fell in the Yellowbabby once - wearing white jeans.

Didn't you tell me when i was little that Blyth and Bedlington had a rivalry going on? lol Seems like Cowpen was always ready for a fight haha
Northumberland: Young, Parker, Wolens, Keenlyside, Taylor, Costello
Scotland: Dempster, Henderson, Jackson, M(a)cMillan, M(a)cLanders
Ireland (Co.Mayo): Monaghan, Costello

+ all variations of above names.

Offline belhay

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: Wednesday 26 April 17 15:49 BST (UK) »
Ronin56

did you ever find your Stanleys?

Binky and his wife lived New row We didn't know him by his real Christian name I think this is the family you mean sons were David born around 1950 went to Newsham school and his younger brother Norman.  Both sons died before they were 60 Binky lived in the new flats at West Court after the colliery houses were demolished he died sometime after 2002.

Offline Ronin56

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: Monday 01 May 17 14:00 BST (UK) »
Hi Belay,

It wasn't really a matter of finding them to be honest, I knew who they were. I was just intrigued that I'd found them in West Row and then suddenly New Row at the same number so I thought perhaps it was the same row with a name change but according to the map in an earlier post it's apparent that they moved.

Bink's name was William Arthur and his wife was Grace, he was my uncle, the brother of my Mum. They were lovely people, we were all very fond of them. The story goes that he had an eye defect as a child and blinked a lot so my Mum called him Blinky but couldn't manage the word properly when she was young, hence Binky. Norman had a problem with his eyes as well. David was a year younger than me and tragically took his own life I believe, at the age of 27. I visited Bink in his new flat and he  seemed happy there. He died in 2004.

Offline Candidiasia Ibberrson

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: Wednesday 15 April 20 08:53 BST (UK) »
In 1901

My 2nd Great Grand Uncle Edward Henry Trunbull was a Coal Miner Hewer. Address 19 Middle Row Isabella Pit Blyth Northaland.

Candis
Wells of Yorkshire

Offline Pete E

• RootsChat Member
  • Man in his natural environment
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: Wednesday 15 April 20 16:23 BST (UK) »
Candis your uncle must have been a neighbour to my great grandfather, Edward James Mann. He and his family lived at number 16 Middle Row, the home of his father in law in 1901. My grandmother Lillian Mann was born there in August 1901 and by 1911 the family were living at number 37 Middle Row.
Northumberland; Mann, Lynn, Waters, Pyle, Murray.   Yorkshire; Ellis, Heckison, Proctor.<br />Lincolnshire; Wilkinson, Dawson.<br />Cumberland; Doran, Murray. Cheshire; Sutton,

Offline belhay

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
Re: edward h trunbull isabella pit
« Reply #25 on: Wednesday 15 April 20 22:45 BST (UK) »
Hi do you mean Edward H Turnbull who was living Double row not Middle row 1901
There were a lot of Turnbulls living at the Isabella My grandfather was 1 of 15 children called Turnbull
Double Row was the row along the top of the other 4 and was changed to South row sometime in 1960s

Offline Candidiasia Ibberrson

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: Thursday 16 April 20 09:25 BST (UK) »
Hi you are correct.

In 1911 he is at 19 Middle Row with his wife and son.

Regards
Candis
Wells of Yorkshire