Author Topic: How can I locate living descendants of Ethel Musgrave Nichol Cunningham d 1985  (Read 4271 times)

Offline [Ray]

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • UK Census information Crown Copyright
    • View Profile
Re: How can I locate living descendants of Ethel Musgrave Nichol Cunningham d 1985
« Reply #9 on: Friday 15 August 14 14:36 BST (UK) »

Why "odd" probate?
The bank didn't inherit.

"The wise man knows how little he knows, the foolish man does not". My Grandfather & Father.

"You can’t give kindness away.  It keeps coming back". Mark Twain (?).

Offline jaywit

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • I will find them wherever they are hiding
    • View Profile
Re: How can I locate living descendants of Ethel Musgrave Nichol Cunningham d 1985
« Reply #10 on: Friday 15 August 14 14:41 BST (UK) »

Why "odd" probate?
The bank didn't inherit.

I would have thought that by the 1960s a man would have named his wife as executor, I am presuming that with an estate of almost £20.000 there was a will especially as he obviously worked in finance.
Cross Steeple Claydon Bucks,  Jennings Steeple Claydon Bucks,  Steel Byfield Northants,  Rogers Northants,  Wheeler Oxon,  Roberts Oxon,  Bonham Oxon/ Middleton Cheney Northants,  Maycock Northants,  Abbott Northants , Newman Northants, Buckingham Bucks, Hart Warks, Newth Gloucs.

UK Census information is Crown Copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline [Ray]

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • UK Census information Crown Copyright
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Friday 15 August 14 15:24 BST (UK) »
Hi

"I am presuming that with an estate of almost £20.000 there was a will especially as he obviously worked in finance."
The Will is listed on the Probate Calendar together with the Will's Executors, so there was one.
( The details of the Will are not listed )

It is your will, you can choose whoever you wish (the best fit?) to be executor(s).
In his case, and about a dozen others on that display, Banks, Solicitors and Notaries have been chosen. 
Family and widows dominate the display. There are also persons who may be (just) friends/aquaintances
Mr C chose Barclays,
He may have worked for Barclays, as he was listed as a "Banker". He may not.

Ray

"The wise man knows how little he knows, the foolish man does not". My Grandfather & Father.

"You can’t give kindness away.  It keeps coming back". Mark Twain (?).

Offline TerriG

• RootsChat Senior
  • Kit No: B303763
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Friday 15 August 14 16:07 BST (UK) »
Just a note to say that Bournemouth has been in Dorset since 1974.  Would it be a good idea to post this topic on the Dorset board?
McLeod, McKean, Hepburn (Fife)
McGowan, Gowan (Dumfriesshire, Ireland)
Nelson, McKean (Lanarkshire)
McKean, Mulgrew (Lethbridge, Alberta)
Boswell, Plumb, Lyon, Stokes, Pemberton, Crawford, Threadgold (Cheshire)
Tierney (Scotland/Ireland)

Offline Westy11

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Friday 15 August 14 18:43 BST (UK) »
Hello and thanks to TerriG, Ray, jaywit, josey, guy, ringrose, STG & Priscilla

Haven been asleep and awoke to find your wonderful responses.

In relation to posting to Dorset board - yes that's a great idea - how do one do that?

Ray - you are spot on and your research is compatible with mine although I hadn't located Willies, death [thanks to Priscilla as well], his profession and travel so thanks heaps for that and I will try and locate those records that you mention.

Jaywit - yes they were an army family and Thomas was a Bandmaster in the Royal Artillery although I am at a loss as to how to find his service records as todate I have drawn a blank.  His father was James Conway Brown whose obit s featured in Welsh Obits Online and assume Thomas developed his musical talent at the hands of his father.

SMT mentions looking for an obit in a local paper however I have no idea what constitutes a local paper for her as I am in Australia but if there are any suggestions I can take them forward...

Once again everyone - thank you so much.

Westy11

Offline Westy11

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Friday 15 August 14 18:56 BST (UK) »
A query on Willie's probate record which sates Probate granted at Winchester.  What county would that be please? ???

Westy11

Offline jaywit

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Friday 15 August 14 19:01 BST (UK) »
Winchester would have been the nearest Probate Office to Bournmouth, there are only a certain number of Probate Offices. It is in a different county but that doesn't matter.

You can obtain a copy of the will, it costs £10 in the UK I don't know if they post overseas. If you want the link just say.
Cross Steeple Claydon Bucks,  Jennings Steeple Claydon Bucks,  Steel Byfield Northants,  Rogers Northants,  Wheeler Oxon,  Roberts Oxon,  Bonham Oxon/ Middleton Cheney Northants,  Maycock Northants,  Abbott Northants , Newman Northants, Buckingham Bucks, Hart Warks, Newth Gloucs.

Offline Westy11

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Friday 15 August 14 19:15 BST (UK) »
Hello jaywit

Would love the link please.

Westy11

Offline jaywit

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Friday 15 August 14 19:39 BST (UK) »
This is the link to the government department that deal with it.

https://www.gov.uk/wills-probate-inheritance/searching-for-probate-records

Now I can't see if they will post overseas and if they will you need to send them a cheque, they don't appear to be able to do online payments unlike the General Register Office.