Author Topic: Dick family around Forres, Morayshire, Scotland  (Read 6116 times)

Offline Forfarian

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • http://www.rootschat.com/links/01ruz/
    • View Profile
Re: Dick family around Forres, Morayshire, Scotland
« Reply #9 on: Sunday 06 December 15 10:48 GMT (UK) »
Hello I've just started researching the Dick family in Forres Moray so there are a lot of dead ends at the moment. My husbands grandmother was born in Forres and after thinking her maiden name was Mactavish I realise that she was actually born an Isabella Hay Mactavish Dick. Why would she carry two surnames and is this common?
I could speculate till the cows come home why this might be, but much better to see if the actual records can provide an answer.

The first thing is, have you got a copy of her birth certificate? This has to be your starting point.

In your post I recognised some of my husbands families names Alexander, Jean and Isabella
I know that names run in families, and they can be useful, but don't get too excited. There are some that are so common that they don't really help with putting together a family tree. These include Alexander, James, John and William for boys, and Ann/i/e, Elizabeth, Isabel/la, Jane/Jean, Janet/Jessie, Margaret and Mary for girls.
Never trust anything you find online (especially submitted trees and transcriptions on Ancestry, MyHeritage, FindMyPast and other commercial web sites) unless it's an image of an original document - and even then be wary because errors can and do occur.

Offline Grantandjane

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Sunday 06 December 15 11:39 GMT (UK) »
Thanks for your reply, I have sent off for the birth certificate and see where it goes from there.

Jane

Offline Jessica Slater

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Monday 29 August 16 19:41 BST (UK) »
I have just come across this post.
I have a William Dick born 1831 in Forres, Moray. on cenus's he is said to be a Carter and Labourer. He is married to Flora McMillan. I wonder if this is a match to your information?

Offline meadow

• RootsChat Pioneer
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Thursday 23 July 20 17:37 BST (UK) »
I have an ancestor named John Dick that emigrated to Argentina in the XIX century. We think that is the John mentioned here as William Dick's son. I would love to know more, why he decided to go to Argentina? I would like to have a chat with other descendants of this family too. Thanks!

Offline Forfarian

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • http://www.rootschat.com/links/01ruz/
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Friday 24 July 20 09:39 BST (UK) »
Hello meadow, and welcome to RootsChat.

What more do you know about your John Dick that makes you think he was the son of William Dick, and do you mean the William Dick born about 1790 in the first post in this thread, or the one born about 1831 mentioned in the last post before yours?

If you are seeking help it's always best to give as much information as you can, especially dates, even if approximate. For example when did your John travel to Argentina? Did he marry there? Is he in the 1895 census of Argentina? When did he die and how old was he? What clue leads you back to the Forres area?
Never trust anything you find online (especially submitted trees and transcriptions on Ancestry, MyHeritage, FindMyPast and other commercial web sites) unless it's an image of an original document - and even then be wary because errors can and do occur.