Author Topic: mckelvey family,....clough ?  (Read 7920 times)

Offline BallyaltikilliganG

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
Re: mckelvey family,....clough ?
« Reply #9 on: Monday 04 May 15 17:22 BST (UK) »
map references  5 McCullagh and 12  McKelvy in Lismavallaghan see website www.askaboutireland/griffithsvaluation/ where you can see the homesteads and boundaries with luck
Gracey Gracie Gracy Grassy Greacy
worldwide

Offline heatherwalsh

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Thursday 07 May 15 11:01 BST (UK) »
hi neil, I am currently moving house at the moment, so I have my research packed away,  I will get back to you as soon as I am organised ,,,,,,,,,,,, cheers from heather

Offline lmgnz

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Monday 18 May 15 00:16 BST (UK) »
I am interested in any McKelvey who connects to John Carey of Toome. I have no idea of how close Toome is to Clough. My family knew about a connection to John Carey and last year I found this was at the level of my 4 x gt grandparents John Ewing of Coolsythe and his wife Mary McKelvey who was born 1798. Their children were claimants on the estate of John Carey as first cousins once removed. The article below identified a McKelvey as related to the mother of John Carey so I believe my Mary McKelvey was his cousin. I do not know anything about her McKelvey family and would like to know if anyone has similar connections.

I did think the most likely family was the John McKelvey of Cranfield in the 1833 Tithes. As I understand it, a John McKelvey of Cranfield was one of the people who helped establish the 2nd Presbyterian Meeting House in Randalstown.

Below is an excerpt from a newspaper about the claims on the estate of John Carey who died 1891.

to bring forward a number of other claimants to the estate of the late John Carey, of Toome. What may eventually ensue is hard to predict, but Frederick Wm. Carey continues to be confident in the success of his efforts. As we previously pointed out he was so successful, when last the matter was before the Master of the rolls in the Dublin Courts, as to displace John McKelvie, by whom a conditional order was obtained on the ground that he was the nearest of kin, but whose relativity was on the maternal side, while Carey’s is on the paternal.

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Monday 18 May 15 11:02 BST (UK) »
Geography Its all on google maps

Clough is Nine miles by road North of Ballymena.
Toome  is  Eleven miles by road  South West of Ballymena
Clough to Toome is 21 miles

Coolsythe Road is near to the hallway mark between Toome and Ballymena and is less than a mile SE of that road

Newtowncrommelin is about 3 miles NEE from Clough
I cannt help further JimG
worldwide

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Monday 18 May 15 11:39 BST (UK) »
In case this entry has any bearing  i note Bernard Carey, in the Townland : Liginanagh Year: 1825 in the tithes Applotment Records under Dunaghy civil parish
worldwide

Offline lmgnz

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Monday 18 May 15 13:08 BST (UK) »
Thank you for the geography. I had only looked  at my ordinance survey map which stops just above Drummaul & Caddy so does not include Ballymena, but does include Toome.

Offline Maxine Caulfiels

• RootsChat Pioneer
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Wednesday 26 August 15 17:02 BST (UK) »
There is at least one grave for McKelvey over in Clough graveyard in Co. Antrim.....There are also McKelvey's who live in Cloughmills

Offline neil mck

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Wednesday 26 August 15 19:38 BST (UK) »
Thank You, there were- are a lot of McKs in that area. We have traced our particular direct history as far back to Thomas McKelvey Bn 1789 of Limavallaghan marries Sarah Halliday  but no further back.

His son John Bn 1813 married Catherine Gaston lived at Ballycregagh near Cloughmills is from where our tree comes.

Currently we are seeking a publisher as have completed our line to today, but sure, any further information is welcomed.
Regards Neil.

Offline Heather Walsh

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Tuesday 09 July 19 18:33 BST (UK) »
Hello everyone, I have a THOMAS MCKELVEY married to an AGNES MCCULLOUGH, 22 nov 1858, Newton Crommelin, Antrim.   It says on family search, her father is William and his father is Thomas. I cant find either of, Thomas or Agnes births...…...or deaths, or really much more information about them...………...They had a son Thomas, but I cant find his birth either, the children I have found were all born in clogh ?? as per family search. a male in march 1864, Elizabeth aug 1864, making these two births only 5 months apart ??? agnes march 1866. William feb 1868,  mary jan 1870 and Margaret july 1873.      Can anyone help me find any more information on this family please...……….kind regards from Heather