Author Topic: Regan family who lived in Coolsara/Inniscairn/Desertmartin  (Read 13116 times)

Offline pansypetal

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Regan family who lived in Coolsara/Inniscairn/Desertmartin
« on: Saturday 16 August 14 16:28 BST (UK) »
I have a major brick wall that involves a branch of my family tree.  I have been given a variety of details from different relatives and am trying to piece them all together.

I was given the names of part of the Regan family who lived in Coolsara/Inniscairn/Desertmartin  so here goes:
Elizabeth (Bessie Regan)  B 1865 who married John McBride in 1901
James Regan, Robert (bobby) Regan,  Minnie Regan, Francis (Frank) Regan B 1880?,
Bernard (Barney) Regan B 1836 believe he married Elizabeth McCristal in 1868,
Josephine Regan (Josie) Regan married an O’Dogherty,
Cissie Regan, Alfred Regan,  Patrick Regan B 1864? and Ernest (Ernie) Regan

I am led to believe that they are all siblings although from the details I have found out there DOB’s spread over a 50 year span. I was told Barney married a Crystal and have found a marriage in 1868 and baptism records for their children which fit with the details of the next generation and the census details. On the 1911 census it had them with 8 children born 7 living.

The details I was given for Barneys children where:
John Regan B 1881, Ellen (Cissie) B 1887 married Joseph O’Neill in 1918 marriage certificate confirms Brides father as Bernard. Ruperta Regan (became a Sister) Patrick Regan B? Poss D 1869, Patrick Regan (1) B 1874? Bernard (Barney) B 1883 married an Elizabeth, Edward (Eddie) Regan B 1870 (became a doctor) Annie Regan B 1878 married Felix Convery in the USA, also have found baptism records for Margaret Anne Regan B 1877 think this could be Annie Regan,  Mary Jane Regan B 1872 and another Bernard (Barney Regan 1879 – 1880.
The next generation from this is Bernard (Barney’s) children:
Brian Regan, Philomena Regan, Seamus Regan, Cristina (Tina) Regan who married a Keenan, Eamon Regan and Ruperta Regan.

All these details came from Ruperta and Tina Regan in 1999 Bernard (Barneys) daughters. 

I have a marriage certificate for Elizabeth (Bessie ) Regan to John McBride and it states Brides fathers name as James.   If the marriage of Bernard (Barney) Regan to Elizabeth McCristal is correct the grooms fathers name is listed as Edward.
The census details that give the approx birth dates are
1901 http://www.census.nationalarchives.ie/pages/1901/Londonderry/Inniscairn/Coolsaragh/1544434/
1911  http://www.census.nationalarchives.ie/pages/1911/Londonderry/Iniscarn/Coolsaragh/610558/
I have also been told by my mother in law Margaret Regan that Bernard (Barney) Regan B 1883 was her fathers John Regans cousin, which would mean that the Bernard Regan B1836 and Patrick Regan B 1864 have to be brothers.

I am trying to patch this together and find the correct links in the family but am hitting quiet a few brickwalls. If anybody has any other details on any of these people or has them in their tree I would be really grateful for any assistance

Offline aghadowey

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Regan family who lived in Coolsara/Inniscairn/Desertmartin
« Reply #1 on: Saturday 16 August 14 17:17 BST (UK) »
Think I can sort some of this out but was to re-check a few details and then need to type it out logically. Meanwhile, you can click 'modify' in yourr original post and remove any living people as we are not allowed to post such details.
Away sorting out DNA matches... I may be gone for some time many years!

Offline kingskerswell

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Saturday 16 August 14 17:34 BST (UK) »
Hi,
   I can find the family listed as O'Regan and can see a couple of your marriages in Magherafelt Roman Catholic church. Some other O'Regan marriages in the same church are:-
7 Nov 1868 Bernard O'Regan and Elizabeth McCristal
10 Feb 1871 Patrick Devlin and Mary O'Regan
9 Jan 1873 James O'Regan and Mary Bradley
26 Jun 1873 Robert Walls and Sarah O'Regan
23 Apr 1902 Patrick Conlon and Mary O'Regan
26 Jul 1906 Felix Convery and Anne O'Regan

Regards
Stewart, Irwin, Morrison, Haslett, Murrell - Dungiven area Co. Londonderry
Browne, Barrett -Co.Armagh
Neil, Smyth _Co. Antrim

Offline kingskerswell

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Saturday 16 August 14 17:52 BST (UK) »
Hi,
    There is mention of several wills in PRONI for Regans of Coolsara and there is an image of one. See http://applications.proni.gov.uk/DCAL_PRONI_WillsCalendar/WillsSearch.aspx

Regards
Stewart, Irwin, Morrison, Haslett, Murrell - Dungiven area Co. Londonderry
Browne, Barrett -Co.Armagh
Neil, Smyth _Co. Antrim

Offline pansypetal

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Saturday 16 August 14 19:09 BST (UK) »
Thank you aghadowey the only living person named is my mother in law and she has been named at her request, anybody from this area will be able to place her and hopefully make the connections in fitting this together

Offline pansypetal

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Saturday 16 August 14 19:14 BST (UK) »
Thank you kingskerswell. There has always been the thread thru all records of the name being recorded as Regan or O'Regan.

The marriage 7 Nov 1868 Bernard O'Regan and Elizabeth McCristal I have the marriage certificate for this and states that Bernards fathers name is Edward which conflicts with his sister marriage certificate of Elizabeth Regan marrying John McBride where it states her father was James Regan. I also have baptism records for some of their children giving both the parents names.

And I also have the marriage certificate for 26 Jul 1906 Felix Convery and Anne O'Regan, which apppears to give the correct/expected brides fathers name. But I'll have a good search of the others and at the proni wills records.

Offline aghadowey

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Saturday 16 August 14 19:15 BST (UK) »
There is clearly more than one family group here (although they may be related to each other).

Edward Regan (c1788-1870).
Death: https://familysearch.org/pal:/MM9.1.1/FRRY-K38
The Will of Edward Regan late of Coolsara County Londonderry Farmer deceased who died 4 March 1870 at same place was proved at Londonderry by the oath of Bernard Regan of Coolsara (Desertmartin) aforesaid Farmer the sole Executor. Will mentions wife, son Bernard, daughter Bridget wife of Pat Bradley, dau. Margaret (America).
1.   Bernard
2.   Bridget m. Pat Bradley
3.   Margaret, US

This is probably Edward's son:
Bernard “Barney” Regan (1836-1927) m.(1869) Elizabeth McCristal
marriage- https://familysearch.org/pal:/MM9.1.1/FGZR-1VK
Elizabeth with son Edward in 1901
www.census.nationalarchives.ie/pages/1901/Londonderry/Inniscairn/Coolsaragh/1544434
www.census.nationalarchives.ie/pages/1911/Londonderry/Iniscarn/Coolsaragh/610558 (8 ch/7 liv)
Regan Bernard of Coolsaragh county Londonderry farmer died 3 August 1927 Probate Londonderry 20 October to Bernard Regan farmer. Effects £35 10s.
1.   John (1881-1921)
Probate of the Will of John Regan late of Coolsara, County Londonderry, Gentleman, who died 12 August 1921 granted at Londonderry 16 November 1921 to Bernard Regan, Farmer, the brother. Effects £1272 13s. 9d.
2.   Ellen “Cissie” (1887) m.(1918) Joseph O’Neill
3.   Sr. Ruperta
4.   Patrick (?d.1869).
5.   Patrick (1874) https://familysearch.org/pal:/MM9.1.1/FPMY-TY5
6.   Bernard “Barney” (1883-1961) m. Elizabeth
Regan, Bernard of Coolsara Desertmartin county Londonderry farmer died 15 August 1961 at Mid-Ulster Hospital Magherafelt county Londonderry Probate Londonderry 10 November to Brian Regan farmer. Effects £2156 3s. 6d.
7.   Dr. Edward (1870) https://familysearch.org/pal:/MM9.1.1/F5C4-CHY
www.census.nationalarchives.ie/pages/1901/Donegal/Killygordon/Killygordon/1198681
www.census.nationalarchives.ie/pages/1911/Donegal/Letterkenny_Urban/Main_Street/498534
8.   Mary Jane (1872) - with brother Edward in 1901  birth: https://familysearch.org/pal:/MM9.1.1/F5KR-4JP
9.   Margaret Ann (1877)- Annie?
10.   Annie/Anne (1878) m.(1906) Felix Convery
www.census.nationalarchives.ie/pages/1911/Londonderry/Gulladuff/Dreenan/610865
        2. Jane Francis Convery (c1908-aft.1911)
        1. Elizabeth Convery (c1909-aft.1911)
 11.   Bernard “Barney” (1879-?1880)

Offline aghadowey

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Saturday 16 August 14 19:17 BST (UK) »
A few comments on what was posted as I was typing out the above-
The marriage 7 Nov 1868 Bernard O'Regan and Elizabeth McCristal I have the marriage certificate for this and states that Bernards fathers name is Edward which conflicts with his sister marriage certificate of Elizabeth Regan marrying John McBride where it states her father was James Regan. I also have baptism records for some of their children giving both the parents names.

Bernard (married 1868) and Elizabeth (married John McBride) were not siblings. I've posted details of Edward's family above and have James' family to add next

Offline pansypetal

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Saturday 16 August 14 19:24 BST (UK) »
WOW thank you aghadowey

alot of details for me to go thru and hopefully straighten this out.

I was told by a cousin Bernard (married 1868) and Elizabeth (married John McBride) were siblings, this information came from Elizabeth McBrides grandson and the daughters of Bernard Regan (B 1883)- Ruperta and Tina.

But hence my posting it doesn't add up on the information given there had to be an error.......