Author Topic: From Tallow Chandler, to Confectioner, to Excise Officer to 'General Merchant'?  (Read 4078 times)

Offline Matt62

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
My 5th great grandfather Michael Welch (1800-1876) seems to have changed profession three times throughout his life. According to his son's marriage certificate of 1855 he was a 'Tallow Chandler' like his parents William and Ann. Yet according to an 1839 directory of Leeds, he is described as a 'Confectioner and earthenware dealer'. He was living at 141 Woodouse Lane with his wife Isabella Fawell and six children. I cannot read his profession in the 1841 census, where he is still living at the same address, yet it doesn't look to me like a 'confectioner'. I'll attach it to my next post in case anyone can help me read it.

Michael then crops up in Edinburgh in the 1851 census (a widow living with his six children) and is described as an 'Excise Officer'. On his son Thomas' death certificate in 1887 he is described likewise as an 'Excise Officer' yet on his own death certificate for 1876 in Aberlady, East Lothian his occupation is 'General Merchant'.

I'm not sure he ever was a Tallow Chandler like his parents, although his son seemed to think so. If he was, I assume it must have been before he became a confectioner.

My questions are:

1. Was it common to change job so often?
2. Is moving from being a confectioner in Leeds to an Excise Officer in Edinburgh not quite a dramatic career change considering that he was by then middle aged? Was this common?
3. What exactly was an Excise Officer's duties (I think it is like a civil servant dealing with customs and goods)?
4. Where might I find records relating to an Edinburgh based Excise Officer?
5. Could he perhaps have become one while still in England or might his move from Leeds to Edinburgh have been due to this new career?
6. Why does his death certificate call him a "General Merchant"? Could he have changed profession yet again?

Offline Matt62

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
Re: From Tallow Chandler, to Confectioner, to Excise Officer to 'General Merchant'?
« Reply #1 on: Saturday 16 August 14 16:41 BST (UK) »
The 1841 census attached, Michael and his family at the bottom right (on page 2).

Image removed

I was not aware of the guidelines on Rootschat relating to census data, if anyone wishes to see the census to help me verify the occupation then please just PM me. Thanks.

Offline BumbleB

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: From Tallow Chandler, to Confectioner, to Excise Officer to 'General Merchant'?
« Reply #2 on: Saturday 16 August 14 16:55 BST (UK) »
The 1841 occupation is, I think "Potter" which would tie in with Earthernware Dealer in 1839.

Transcriptions and NBI are merely finding aids.  They are NOT a substitute for original record entries.
Remember - "They'll be found when they want to be found" !!!
If you don't ask the question, you won't get an answer.
He/she who never made a mistake, never made anything.
Archbell - anywhere, any date
Kendall - WRY
Milner - WRY
Appleyard - WRY

Offline Matt62

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Saturday 16 August 14 17:00 BST (UK) »
The 1841 occupation is, I think "Potter" which would tie in with Earthernware Dealer in 1839.

Ah, that would certainly tie in then yes, thank you. I had thought it started with an "s" or "f", although I honestly just couldn't read it.

Offline BumbleB

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Saturday 16 August 14 17:12 BST (UK) »
Michael Welsh who married Isabella Fawell on 8 November 1827 at St Peter, Leeds is said to be a Tallow Chandler from the parish of St Luke, London.  As the marriage was by Licence it is possible that the Marriage Bond and Allegation have survived - surviving Bonds are held at the Borthwick Institute in York.  If it has survived then it is possible that age and occupation will be confirmed.
Transcriptions and NBI are merely finding aids.  They are NOT a substitute for original record entries.
Kendall - WRY
Milner - WRY
Appleyard - WRY

Offline Matt62

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Saturday 16 August 14 17:25 BST (UK) »
Michael Welsh who married Isabella Fawell on 8 November 1827 at St Peter, Leeds is said to be a Tallow Chandler from the parish of St Luke, London.  As the marriage was by Licence it is possible that the Marriage Bond and Allegation have survived - surviving Bonds are held at the Borthwick Institute in York.  If it has survived then it is possible that age and occupation will be confirmed.

Much appreciated information Bumble, I will do a search online for the Borthwick Institute to see if I can contact them regarding the possibility of marriage bonds.  :)

Now that it seems evident that he was indeed a Tallow Chandler in the 1820s, it seems incongruous to me that he then went on to become a confectioner, potter, Excise Officer and then a General Merchant. They all seem to be such different occupations!

Offline BumbleB

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Saturday 16 August 14 17:32 BST (UK) »
Website is www.york.ac.uk/borthwick and they are very helpful.  Shame I didn't know about this last Monday - I was there looking at marriage bonds!!!!

As you know the date, venue and groom's name, it shouldn't be difficult for them to confirm whether the bond has survived.

Kendall - WRY
Milner - WRY
Appleyard - WRY

Offline Matt62

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Saturday 16 August 14 17:32 BST (UK) »
BTW may I ask Bumble, what is a marriage 'by license'?

Offline Matt62

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Saturday 16 August 14 17:34 BST (UK) »
Website is www.york.ac.uk/borthwick and they are very helpful.  Shame I didn't know about this last Monday - I was there looking at marriage bonds!!!!

Oh not a problem my friend, you have been most helpful in directing me here  :) Do they do orders of digital copies? I live in Glasgow so it might be difficult for me to travel there at the moment (ie work).