Author Topic: John MOIR and Margaret FARQUHAR - Fraserburgh  (Read 8642 times)

Offline GR2

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: John MOIR and Margaret FARQUHAR - Fraserburgh
« Reply #9 on: Wednesday 20 August 14 18:46 BST (UK) »
I notice you have Thoms and Hendersons at the foot of your page. Robert Thom and Penelope Henderson?

Offline jennywren001

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Me with yet another pudding bowl haircut...
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Thursday 21 August 14 10:34 BST (UK) »
I notice you have Thoms and Hendersons at the foot of your page. Robert Thom and Penelope Henderson?

No different sides of the family- The Thoms are from Dundee the Hendersons are from Gamrie and MacDuff (I think). At least the four children I have for William Henderson and Janet Taylor were all born Logie in Gamrie and MacDuff from 1803 through till 1812. They belong to what I call my 'Fraser' branch and of the 16 pairs of 5Xs great grandparents in this branch I've managed to discover 11 couples.  Along with Margaret Farquhar's I'm also missing the parents of William and Janet and one other couple (John Neish and Margaret Fraser - but with this couple I've got masses of data to sort through and dots to join up - certainly not a brick wall as yet).
Jen

North East Scotland above the Tay...
JOLLY, Johnston,Thom, Rae, Davidson, Fielding, Sherret
FEARN, McKenzie, Stirling [brick wall], Robb, Wilson, Stott
RUSSELL, Fullerton, Christie, Cochrane, Davidson, Coutts, Easton, Scott
FRASER, Henderson, Noble, Mundie, Goodall, Thain, Neish, Moir

Offline jennywren001

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Sunday 24 August 14 08:34 BST (UK) »
Thanks GR2 mentioning those Hendersons got me on their trail ;D Found Janet and William on the 41 and 51 census - Janet made it post 55 so I've now got her death certificate and son John's as well. From the 51 census I've discovered William was born in Monquitter and it was Janet who was from Gamrie. Might just get this branch of the family put to bed before the winter so I can get back to the Mearns.
Jen

Offline Fordyce

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Tuesday 02 December 14 10:52 GMT (UK) »
Mention is made of William MOIR vintner, in particular in 1801 in Portsoy.

I know that William MOIR vintner in Portsoy married Margaret GORDON 31 Dec 1797 Fordyce. They had a son George Gordon MOIR bpt 8 Aug 1798 b in Portsoy (this son became a silk merchant in India and his family produced some high-achievers in the military back in England, but that's by-the-by).

My interest is in William MOIR's wife Margaret GORDON. I'm trying to get a handle on when/where she was born and whether this is her second marriage.

Needless to say there are plenty of GORDONs in Portsoy, but one Margaret GORDON b c1750 or c1760 married Peter GEDDES who tenanted Mains of Birkenbog in the 1780s. They had three children there (Jean, Alexander, Peter) and then the whole family group drops out of sight completely after Dec 1785 when Peter GEDDES is described as 'late in Mains of Birkenbog' upon the baptism of son Peter there. It's as though he's gone away - but where to or whether the family follows or has been abandoned is a complete mystery.

I cannot find the parentage of my Birkenbog Margaret GORDON but one candidate is bpt 24 Dec 1758 illeg d/o James GORDON merchant in Portsoy, and his name seems to be connected with John GORDON vintner in Portsoy whose wife is named Margaret GORDON - they marr 1776, so she would have been born 1756 or earlier, say, and unlikely but not impossible to have had a child in 1798. The 1758 Margaret GORDON might have remarried in 1797 and had a child in 1798.

So, can you add anything about this William MOIR vintner in Portsoy?

Offline jennywren001

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Tuesday 02 December 14 18:11 GMT (UK) »
Hi,
Sorry, but I can't add anything about the William Moir, Vintner in Portsoy.  The William Moir in Fraserburgh looks to be rooted there from 1788 till at least 1804 as all his children are baptised there including a George baptised the 24th Dec 1795.

It could be that the Fraserburgh William was not a vintner as I have scant evidence for this -it could have been your William contributing to the Fraserburgh pier. Because he is not my direct line I have not really pursued the man however, I've just looked back at the birth records for his children and never is his occupation mentioned which is a tad strange as most (and on some pages all) entries have this listed except for William! For William it only ever says 'in town' as if he does nothing!
Jen

Offline Fordyce

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Wednesday 03 December 14 09:05 GMT (UK) »
Thanks - that's helpful because it shows the Portsoy vintner William Moir didn't move to Fraserburgh. And that in turn keeps his wife Margaret Gordon in my sights!

Offline jennywren001

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Thursday 04 December 14 12:50 GMT (UK) »
Just to add - followed through on George Moir born 1795.  On his DC for 1864 his father is listed as William Moir (Vintner), mother Margaret Morrice.  This ties in with the Alexander Morrice showing as witness at George's baptism.
Jen