Author Topic: Eliza CHEADLE HUNT TILLER b Strichley c1829, Marionette show proprietor  (Read 1722 times)

Offline VAT

• RootsChat Member
  • Study the past if you would define the future
    • View Profile
Eliza CHEADLE HUNT TILLER b Strichley c1829, Marionette show proprietor
« on: Saturday 16 August 14 17:46 BST (UK) »
Hi

Looking for connections or inspiration regarding  Eliza CHEADLE born in Stirchley c1829, Baptised 30 April  1837 in a family ‘block booking’.   She died in 1917 aged 88.

I have full Census records for her 1841-1911.

She ‘married’  Edward HUNT, a showman who was in partnership with a John SIMMS. Edward died in an accident in 1863 and she then she ‘married’ Ambrose TILLER, who was about 13 years her junior.

The family are the founders of the CLOWES TILLER marionette group that toured the country and some of their puppets are in the V& A Museum. The TILLER line is also connected with the CHIPPERFIELDS.

Eliza had children with both HUNT and TILLER and I have full details on them.

A book written by John McCormick called the Victorian Marionette Theatre states that Eliza CHEADLE came from an ‘older travelling family’, but I have not found any evidence of this.

My research points to her being the daughter of John CHEADLE and Sarah BRADLEY who married at Buildwas  15 March 1819, John is a labourer

The only way I can confirm that this is my Eliza is to see a copy of the marriage certificates to check her father’s details , however I can find no trace of either marriage.

There are a couple of public member trees on Ancestry which show conflicting dates and information but I have had no reply when I have tried to contact the tree owners.

Does anyone have any further information regarding Eliza please?
Or any ideas as to where to go from here?

Many thanks
VAT
All Census Transcriptions are Crown Copyright from National Archives.
 ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

BARTRAM, KEYWORTH, PHILLIPS, SYLVESTER,
SAYLES, OATES, PARKIN, GREAVES, BARRACLOUGH,   in Sheffield
THEAKER in Sheffield and Belton
FORD in Chapel en le frith

Offline JStockley

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Eliza CHEADLE HUNT TILLER b Strichley c1829, Marionette show proprietor
« Reply #1 on: Sunday 03 September 23 14:18 BST (UK) »
Hello, Your post is nealy 10yrs old and I wondered if you had progressed in your search?
My Grandfather's sister was Sarah (Sally) Chipperfield, wife of Ambrose Tiller until her death in 1950.

CHIPPERFIELD,_Sally.  Equestrienne.  Born c1868, daughter of James William Francis Chipperfield and Mary Ann nee Jones, of Chipperfield's circus.  Married Ambrose Tiller, of marionette and variety show fame.  Mother of Ambrose Tiller, who became the bandmaster with Chipperfield's circus, and eight other children.  Died in May 1950, in her home at long Sutton, aged 81 years.  Buried Long Sutton Cemetery, on 12th May.

Offline VAT

• RootsChat Member
  • Study the past if you would define the future
    • View Profile
Re: Eliza CHEADLE HUNT TILLER b Strichley c1829, Marionette show proprietor
« Reply #2 on: Monday 04 September 23 10:21 BST (UK) »
Sorry no progress, still no trace of either marriage
VAT
All Census Transcriptions are Crown Copyright from National Archives.
 ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

BARTRAM, KEYWORTH, PHILLIPS, SYLVESTER,
SAYLES, OATES, PARKIN, GREAVES, BARRACLOUGH,   in Sheffield
THEAKER in Sheffield and Belton
FORD in Chapel en le frith