Author Topic: Cholera  (Read 1771 times)

Offline GYPO

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Cholera
« on: Sunday 17 August 14 21:38 BST (UK) »
Can anyone please help.Recently found the Death of my 2xGreat Grandmother in Pembroke Workhouse ,Aug 1877,her name being Mary James,also found two children with the same surname:Martha James,buried 28th Feb 1877,age 11 months.Isaac James,buried 6th March 1877,age 1year.There is a possibility they were not related, but it's a coincidence they should carry the same surname and their demise was so close together.Could this have been caused by a Cholera epidemic?.
           Many thanks,Chris ( Gypo ).

Offline philipsearching

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • I was a beautiful baby - what went wrong?
    • View Profile
Re: Cholera
« Reply #1 on: Sunday 17 August 14 22:06 BST (UK) »
Without ordering copies of the death certificates there is no way of being certain.  It is quite possible that the infants died of disease, but infant mortality, particularly among the poor, was very high and they could have died of measles, malnutrition, infection or any one of a hundred ailments.
Please help me to help you by citing sources for information.

Census information is Crown Copyright http://www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline youngtug

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
.http://www.rootschat.com/links/05q2/   
  WILSON;-Wiltshire.
 SOUL;-Gloucestershire.
 SANSUM;-Berkshire-Wiltshire
 BASSON-BASTON;- Berkshire,- Oxfordshire.
 BRIDGES;- Wiltshire.
 DOWDESWELL;-Wiltshire,Gloucestershire
 JORDAN;- Berkshire.
 COX;- Berkshire.
 GOUDY;- Suffolk.
 CHATFIELD;-Sussex-- London
 MORGAN;-Blaenavon-Abersychan
 FISHER;- Berkshire.
 BLOMFIELD-BLOOMFIELD-BLUMFIELD;-Suffolk.
DOVE. Essex-London
YOUNG-Berkshire
ARDEN.
PINEGAR-COLLIER-HUGHES-JEFFERIES-HUNT-MOSS-FRY

Offline weste

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Monday 18 August 14 17:45 BST (UK) »
I've just finished doing some Walsall Roman Catholic burial transcriptions for freereg. From 1848/49 there are causes of death on, how accurate the causes I don't know. There' loads and loads of infant death no cause given. On the adults there are quite a few cholera deaths, one typhus, lot of pleurisy, gavel , dropsy, inflammation and fever. Unfortunately does always give date or abode. There is an Anglican Church nearby but if I remember the cholera death is earlier. So it may be worth perusing some  burial records for that particular church and see if any more are named as cholera deaths if you can. Otherwise try googling or another search engine to see if you can find anything in the area. Or some local history around that time. Surprised there was cause of deaths on. Even to a vicar committing suicide! I suppose knowing where the cholera deaths were situated was to them a good idea .

Offline GYPO

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Monday 18 August 14 18:18 BST (UK) »
Many thanks to you all that replied,it gives me some different avenues to investigate.
                        Chris.( Gypo )