Author Topic: Rainhill Hospital-Rainhill,Liverpool,England  (Read 4677 times)

Offline Davem

• RootsChat Extra
  • I've not edited my PROFILE yet
    • View Profile
Rainhill Hospital-Rainhill,Liverpool,England
« on: Friday 16 July 04 20:50 BST (UK) »
I am trying to find out details about an uncle who died in Rainhill Hospital (at one time a mental institution) sometime between 1935 and 1945. Can anyone help as to where records may now be kept.

Offline chickadee2212

• RootsChat Extra
  • HELP!!!!
    • View Profile
Re: Rainhill Hospital-Rainhill,Liverpool,England
« Reply #1 on: Friday 16 July 04 21:41 BST (UK) »
i hate 2 be the bearer of bad news - but a friend of mine is looking for information regarding her grandmother who resided there - but her friend (a registar) and herself have not been able to find any records of her.
Lancashire - West Derby/Liverpool/Toxteth
Corlett/Bache/Tyrer/Johnson/Connell/Moore/Grealey/Billingsley/McAdam/Shaw/Bulger/Daniel(s)

Scotland - Refrew (Port Glasgow) -  Brown, Marshall
Ireland - Grealey, Melvin, Connell, Moore

Offline RootsChat

• Administrator
  • RootsChat Aristocrat
  • RootsChat Administration
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Friday 16 July 04 21:46 BST (UK) »
Hello Dave,

Rainhill Hospital was once thought to have been the largest Mental Hospital in the world and there are many sites dedicated to its rich and vast history in Lancashire. Here are a few links for some background information.

http://www.institutions.org.uk/asylums/england/rainhill_asylum.htm

http://www.liv.ac.uk/psychiatry/history/history.htm

The Records are held at Liverpool Record Office and here is a link to tell you more.

http://www.liverpool.gov.uk/pdfs/Libraries/local_history/RO_leaflet_18.pdf

Because your research is not so long ago, it is very important that you word your letter correctly in order to get the best response.  You must state your connection to the person and your reason for requesting information.  Write as much as you know and mention any "hear-say" and then round the letter up by asking direct question some of which they can answer some of which they can not due to the data protection etc...

The very best of luck!

RootsChat ;D
Broken Links: Please report to us of any links that no longer work, or ones that are no longer appropriate by clicking the "Report to moderator" link on the message. Thanks! Get Poster

Offline Davem

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Saturday 17 July 04 17:36 BST (UK) »
Thanks for the useful web site links.  From one of the links I have found the address to apply to for records information which is a good start.

Offline floridagirl

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Saturday 17 July 04 23:36 BST (UK) »
Hi,
I've just seen your message about records for Rainhill Hospital.
I was enquiring about hospital records myself on thursday in Liverpool and was told that most of them are closed for 75- 100 years.
Even then, some of them can only be accessed by staff on your behalf. I believe the Rainhill records are very traumatic and some of the patients photographs are recorded as well. If you contact Liverpool record office, they'll tell you what's available.
Hope this helps.
Floridagirl.
Norris, O'Donnell, McGuinness, Evans, Hendry, Thomas, Perry, Duxbury, Hudson, Guest, Robinson, Shewan, Fullam, Williams, Henderson, Gaffney, Brookes, Bird, Bruffell, Baron, Hase, Jones, Tomkins

Offline Tresa

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Monday 19 July 04 23:24 BST (UK) »
Thanks for the details. According to one site I accessed, the Rainhill Records are kept at the Sherdley Unit, Whiston Hospital, Prescot Liverpool but I haven't had the chance to confirm this yet! If you need any help and are not in Liverpool, let me know.

Offline goggy

• I am sorry but my emails are not working
  • RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Tuesday 20 July 04 14:17 BST (UK) »
Hi all,talk about luck!!First time on the site and serendipity strikes.Rainhill queries are one of my "sticking points''ANDaround the same period as a previous mail.
The screen hung up when trying a link,3 times,so taking this as a sign to curb my impatience I am!!I,ll try something else meanwhile,
Cheers,Goggy

Offline goggy

• I am sorry but my emails are not working
  • RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Sunday 15 August 04 14:15 BST (UK) »
evening all!the rainhill addresses just wont come to my party and,keep hanging my machine out to dry!my Irish G,MA spent most of her life there so Im told,when given the chance of freedom she couldnt face it.she was institutionalised beyond all reason.she lived there til she died,happy it was said.I need to know more about her and her husband,who was responsible for her seeking refuge in the first place!!
Sorry, got a bit carried away.
      Goggy

Offline RootsChat

• Administrator
  • RootsChat Aristocrat
  • RootsChat Administration
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Sunday 15 August 04 19:25 BST (UK) »
Hello Goggy,

I am very sorry you are having trouble with the links  :'(

I have just tried them for you, the last one does take some time to come up and that is even having "broadband".

If you are still having trouble it may be worth having a quick look with another computer as it is very worth while.

RootsChat.
Broken Links: Please report to us of any links that no longer work, or ones that are no longer appropriate by clicking the "Report to moderator" link on the message. Thanks! Get Poster