Author Topic: William John James Arrived St John N.B. 1929 from Wales - Completed  (Read 10747 times)

Offline mlrsuperstar

• --
  • RootsChat Veteran
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Looking to find out about William John James born abt 1899 in Maesteg,Wales.
William sailed 6th April 1929 and put down his destination as staying with brother in law ;-
Tom Heale 59,Madelaine Avenue,Toronto.
William traveled alone he had lost his infant son to illness in 1926 and his wife was knocked down by a taxi and died  in late 1927. He was looking for a new life and a fresh start in Canada.

Can anyone help ? and tell me how he got on ?

Offline miriamkinga

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Henry Kingston Goater 1853-1920
    • View Profile
Re: William John James Arrived St John N.B. 14th April 1929 from Cardiff,Wales
« Reply #1 on: Monday 18 August 14 15:55 BST (UK) »
there's a death on the familysearch site for a William John James b Maesteg died in Michigan in 1939

- https://familysearch.org/pal:/MM9.1.1/KFW7-DV8
GOATER, LAN, ALL
BOURKE, MAYO/ LAN
LONERGAN, TIP
McGREAL, MAYO
FLAHERTY, GALWAY/ ALL
HOUGH, LAN/ ALL

Offline mlrsuperstar

• --
  • RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Monday 18 August 14 15:59 BST (UK) »
Thank you Miriam ,I only have Ancestry here but lets see what happens.
I very much appreciate your help with this, thank you once again

Offline mlrsuperstar

• --
  • RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Monday 18 August 14 16:03 BST (UK) »
Yes I'm almost certain thats him .His father was a Tom James.
I wonder how he died. Its tragic only 40 and three family deaths in ones so young .

Thank you Miriam for your kind help.

Offline *Sandra*

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Marie Curie
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Monday 18 August 14 16:22 BST (UK) »
William John James born 1898 Barry Wales and aged 37 years and 10 months. Crossed the border arriving Detroit, Michigan 27 October 1936. Arrival contact was his wife Susan J James, 69 Merriweather  (to blurry)  ??? Grosse Pointe village. Michigan. Occupation:- Houseman.  Sister Ada Heal 335 Bartlett Toronto Ontario. Planning to reside permanently. Arrived St Johns New Brunswick 1929. Last permanent address:- 415 Davisville, Toronto Ontario.
Going to join employer Paul Maxon.

Sandra
"We search for information, but the burden of proof is always with the thread owner"

Census information is Crown Copyright  http://www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

British Census copyright The National Archives; Canadian Census copyright Library and Archives Canada

Offline *Sandra*

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Marie Curie
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Monday 18 August 14 17:03 BST (UK) »
Detroit Border Crossing for a Susan J James born 1899 Honston (think that is Houston) Renfrewshire Scotland and aged 37 years and 1 month. Arriving Detroit Michigan 8 October 1936. Husband Wm J James. Employer :- Mr Paul Maxon, 69 Merriweather Ave. Detroit Michigan. Had landed Halifax Feb 1927 on the SS Andania. Last resided 415 Davisville, Toronto. Had been in the USA for a month visit in 1936.

Sandra
"We search for information, but the burden of proof is always with the thread owner"

Census information is Crown Copyright  http://www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

British Census copyright The National Archives; Canadian Census copyright Library and Archives Canada

Offline mlrsuperstar

• --
  • RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Monday 18 August 14 17:29 BST (UK) »
Thank you Sandra this is great stuff. I am very grateful for your help

I just wonder now where and when he married Susan. ?

Offline mlrsuperstar

• --
  • RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Tuesday 19 August 14 17:31 BST (UK) »
Hi Sandra,
Many thanks again for your help.
I now need to find out about this man's death. Now do I ask a new question here and  hope that someone reads this from the USA. and answers the question. Or do I put a fresh post on the USA part of the site?

Offline polarbear

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Tuesday 19 August 14 18:36 BST (UK) »
Assuming the William and Susan who crossed the border to Detroit are the correct couple.....

There is a UK incoming passenger record for a Susan James with a destination of 8 Croft Place Renfrew. Arrival 21 May 1839 on the Letitia.

Looking into the Canada arrival info given on the 1936 border crossing one finds a Susan Sandford arriving 04 Mar 1928 on the Andania (a UK outbound listing gives a departure date of 27 Feb, if I remember correctly). She gives her UK contact as her mother Susan Sandford 4 Croft Place High Street Renfrew. She was destined to her aunt Annie McCrone in Toronto. She had been in Canada from 1922 to 1927. She is 28 and b. Houston Scotland.

The Form 30A that appears to be related to the original 1922 immigration gives her name as Susan Scott Sandford. B. Houston Parish Scotland, age 22. UK contact her mother Mrs Hendry Sandford. Unfortunately, there is no address. She sailed 11/8/22 on the Mellita destined to the Salvation Army Toronto.

If these records are all related to the same Susan I would think William and Susan perhaps married in Toronto. Unfortunately, due to privacy laws marriages are only available to the public to about 1929 currently, with a new year added annually.

PB

We search for information but it is up to the thread owner to verify that it is correct.