Author Topic: Castle Dillon?  (Read 8695 times)

Offline Hampshire Lass

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
Castle Dillon?
« on: Monday 18 August 14 22:26 BST (UK) »
Hi,

I know very little of how to research Irish records but have made some use of rootsireland in the past (no luck in this instance though) 

I'm looking into a family who have roots in Armagh although they end up in Sussex.

From newspaper reports of a family marriage and an obituary they both refer to the fact that they were from Castle Dillon, Armagh. From what little I can discover of Castle Dillon it seems to me that it's a property in Armagh.....not a town/village.

Please can anyone tell me the best place to find possible baptisms for the 2 children concerned who were born in 1839 and 1844. Also a marriage for the father, who also says he is from Castle Dillon :)

Best wishes HL

Census information is crown copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline kingskerswell

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Castle Dillon?
« Reply #1 on: Monday 18 August 14 22:39 BST (UK) »
Hi,
    See http://colincolleranphotographer.com/castle-dillonco-armagh/  If you give us some names and approximate dates we may be able to help.

Regards
Stewart, Irwin, Morrison, Haslett, Murrell - Dungiven area Co. Londonderry
Browne, Barrett -Co.Armagh
Neil, Smyth _Co. Antrim

Offline Sinann

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Monday 18 August 14 22:52 BST (UK) »
You can see if any of the names here are of interest
http://www.rootschat.com/links/019i3/
These are owners, lease holders of land / houses so if your families worked and lived in Castle Dillon they won't appear but they may have family in the area.

Offline Hampshire Lass

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Monday 18 August 14 22:53 BST (UK) »
That's a very interesting site kingskerswell. thank you  :)

From the information I have......Thomas John McConnell, born 1810 Armagh, was a Carpenter and on his death in 1889, says he is from Castle Dillon.

I believe his children are Thomas John McConnell, born 1839, Armagh. He is also a Carpenter.

and Elizabeth McConnell, born 1844,Armagh.  Her marriage announcement says she is from Castle Dillon.

That's also an interesting link Sinann. There is a name that's rung bells...McCullough....I think there is a grandchild (or niece or nephew) on one of the censuses with that surname. Will have to check but I think they're also from Armagh.
Best wishes HL

Offline t_creaney

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Tuesday 19 August 14 09:02 BST (UK) »
There are a number of Churches / parishes in the vicinity of Castle Dillon which may hold records of your ancestors, the nearest would be Grange, Richhill, Kildarton, Kilmore & Loughgall. 

St Aidans, Grange was the church of the Mollineaux family of Castle Dillon house so would be a possibility for a marriage if your ancestor actually lived at the house, as a servant or suchlike.

There is a gravestone at St Aidans, Grange as follows:

In affectionate remembrance of Mary McConnell late of Castledillon who departed this life 27th Feb 1871 aged 56 years.

My own family were from the area, many worked at Castle Dillon & I have searched all of the above church records both by visiting the churches and at PRONI who have microfilm for some of them. Some of the records may be online by now but I am not sure about that or which site/s.

More interestingly my 2 x great grandmother was Mary McConnell. She married John Creaney in the late 1830s but I have never been able to find the marriage. In my research I found a baptism in the books of Kilmore Parish Church for Mary McConnell in 1818, parents David McConnell & Mary, so Kilmore would be another possibility.

Very interesting link Kingskerswell, I was there a few months ago and took a number of similar photos of the old ruin. A real shame to see the place in this state, imagining the hustle & bustle of the place when my ggf was the butler and other relations were footman, coachman and a variety of servants.

Best of luck in your research Hampshire Lass.

tc
Creaney, Craney (Co Armagh)  Moffett (Cookstown & Larne) McCurdy (Co Antrim) Hind (Cumberland & Durham) Simpson (Co Tyrone) Steenson (Carnlough, Co Antrim) Irwin (Cumberland / Scottish Borders)

Offline plumpyone

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Tuesday 19 August 14 09:42 BST (UK) »
Hi HL

I too have been researching McConnells from Armagh - but from the south of the county so likely no connection to yours - I have hit a brick wall in the mid 1800s so you never know!

Anyway in research I came across documents in PRONI (I haven't viewed them) which relate to a Moses McConnell Co Armagh and his friendship with General Molyneaux in the 1790s - not sure if this General Molyneaux was connected to the family at Castle Dillon but might be worth a look if anyone you know is going to PRONI

Good luck in the search
Plumpy

Offline t_creaney

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Tuesday 19 August 14 10:16 BST (UK) »
I have now looked at the death cert of Mary McConnell on the headstone I mentioned above. She was married but her husband wasn’t named. However she is described as wife of a carpenter.

You say that your ancestors, Thomas John jnr & snr were both carpenters it would seem that there is a good chance that Thomas John snr was the husband of said Mary.

You can view the death cert on the GRONI site https://geni.nidirect.gov.uk/ for a small fee.

tc
Creaney, Craney (Co Armagh)  Moffett (Cookstown & Larne) McCurdy (Co Antrim) Hind (Cumberland & Durham) Simpson (Co Tyrone) Steenson (Carnlough, Co Antrim) Irwin (Cumberland / Scottish Borders)

Offline Hampshire Lass

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Tuesday 19 August 14 10:24 BST (UK) »
Thank you tc and Plumpy  :)

Thomas John jnr is in Sussex in 1861 and that's the first I have on him.

Thomas John remarried in Sussex in 1877 and that's the first I have on him.

I've tracked both of them thereafter. Don't know who Thomas John jnr's mum is though. Thought his baptism would be good and maybe a burial for his mum.

Your replies have given me food for thought. I'll mull things over......maybe (big maybe) Mary McConnell who died in 1871 is his mum.

Where could I get a death cert from for Ireland?

modified post....
Oooh tc, you typed your reply as I typed mine.......Thank you so much....looking very good  ;D

Best wishes HL

Offline Hampshire Lass

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Tuesday 19 August 14 12:41 BST (UK) »

You can view the death cert on the GRONI site https://geni.nidirect.gov.uk/ for a small fee.

tc

Hi tc, does this mean that the death certificate can be viewed online? Or do they post it to you?
I've registered with the site but now I'm a bit confused  ::)
Best wishes HL