Author Topic: Help with Douglas Shears families  (Read 1573 times)

Offline dugl

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
Re: Help with Douglas Shears families
« Reply #9 on: Thursday 19 October 17 07:49 BST (UK) »
I hadn't twigged that there are two St Peter's churches in Liverpool. Thank you for that.
I don't have much information on the Taylor branch of the family - so would be very interested in learning more.
I have no information on John Wright Taylor, however it is of interest that my great grandfather was John Wright Douglas (born 1864). He was the son of Samuel Taylor Douglas a sibling of Margaret Burnett Douglas. There was also a John Wright Douglas (born1840) a brother of Samuel and Margaret.

Offline jennych

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Thursday 19 October 17 09:09 BST (UK) »
I have Mary Douglas in my family tree. Born on 6 May 1826 and baptised at the Bold St Chapel, Liverpool, on 28 May 1826. The record states residing at Huyton, and parents William Douglas (painter) and Ann, formerly Shears.

OK, so I also tried to find Ann Shears, but no luck. I am inclined to believe that the mother was Ann Taylor and the grandmother was Sillers, and somehow these names got confused. Stranger things have happened in the records!

So, from my research, my Mary Douglas married Thomas Brown on 31st Dec 1847 at St John’s, Liverpool. Thomas Brown was born in Preston, Lancashire.  Mary and Thomas had 5 children in Preston, Liverpool and Radcliffe. My great grandmother, Mary Christiana Brown was the 3rd child, born in Radcliffe on 25 Dec 1853.

The 1861 census has them in Radcliffe. Thomas Brown was a cotton carder and Mary Brown (Douglas) was a cotton card stripper.

My Mary Christiana Brown married George Mottram and immigrated to Australia in 1873.

Still looking. I am in Coffs Harbour, NSW and have access to the local Family History Society.

Offline dugl

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Sunday 22 October 17 07:34 BST (UK) »
Still not entirely convinced about the explanations for the Ann Shears mystery, 'tho I agree strange records are fairly common.
I haven't been able to make much impression on research of your branch of the family. Did they migrate to the Coffs Harbour area. My branch of the Douglas Family from Samuel Taylor Douglas on have been largely Melbourne residents. I live in a Melbourne bayside suburb.