Author Topic: whitburn cemetery, west lothian  (Read 15477 times)

Offline libbyjones

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: whitburn cemetery, west lothian
« Reply #27 on: Tuesday 05 September 17 17:04 BST (UK) »
I have finally found the details of my Aunt Sheila's birth and death.  Her name was Sheila Dickinson. She never married.    She was born in 1924 and died in 1990 and I was told my Dad had a sister and that I was named after her.   But, nothing more.    She died in Dundee and the Dundee cemeteries have checked and there is no sign of a burial there.   They have asked me to check with the Crematorium and I am waiting for their reply.     My sister told me she saw my name on a headstone in Whitburn Cemetery and got such a shock because she was there at the funeral of our cousin in 2008 but by the time she returned to get more detail, the headstone was not there and a new headstone was erected, but without my Aunt's name on it.  It is a puzzle and I just want to know where she is rested.  I am hoping the Dundee Crematorium find something and perhaps her ashes were interred in Whitburn which would account for her name being on the old headstone, but why would her name not be on the new one?      Sheila

Offline Rockford

• RootsChat Senior
  • The Ancestral Home!
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: Tuesday 05 September 17 19:14 BST (UK) »
Hi,

Glad you have found her details and hopefully the crematorium might have more details.

If she was cremated and her ashes interred in Whitburn, I would think that the Council would still have to have a record of this as they would have had to open the ground.

I hope you get the news that you are looking for.

Best wishes

Rockford
BURNSIDE [Londonderry, Lothians and Pennsylvania]
THORBURN [Lanarkshire], VAIR [Melrose]
SWEENEY [Donegal/Lanarkshire]
GILCHRIST [Lanarkshire, Peebles, Lothians], SMITH [Dunbartonshire, Lanarkshire, Lothians]
GREGORY [Bucks, Wales], BENNETT [Somerset, Wales]
LETHERBY/HOWLETT/PHIPPS [Somerset]
HUNTER [New Monkland, Fife], GWYNNE [New Monkland, Stirling, Midlothian]
LOGIE/DUNLOP/THOMSON/YOUNG [West Lothian]

Offline libbyjones

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: Tuesday 05 September 17 21:26 BST (UK) »
I will have a reply by 5 p.m. tomorrow from the Dundee Crematorium and will contact West Lothian Council to check if her ashes were indeed interred in the Grave in Whitburn.  I have the grave number. It is such a pity my parents didn't tell me about my Aunt, after all, I share her name and it would have been nice to know her.   I was 42 when she died and it defies belief that this was such a secret.    Back in the day I suppose parents kept such information to themselves but I just need to complete the puzzle.    My sister will also be relieved as she had the shock of seeing my name on a headstone and then the name to disappear after my cousin was interred in 2008 with a new headstone replacing the old one.   Thank you for your help, regards Sheila

Offline libbyjones

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #30 on: Wednesday 20 December 17 20:19 GMT (UK) »
My initial enquiry was about my aunr sheila's name on a headstone in Whitburn cemetery but I am no further forward as to what happened to this old headstone and why my aunt's name, Sheila Dickinson was on the headstone.      As, my aunt died in 1990 and this old headstone was replaced just after my cousin Andrew was interred prior to 1990 there was no reason for her name to be on a headstone as she was still alive.    A mystery!!!!  However, from her death certificate, I found out she died ion 18th December 1990 as a result of a vehicular collision as a pedestrian, Nearr Kinnaird and she was not buried as I thought she might have been, in Dundee.  But, in fact she was cremated on Christmas Eve 1990, in Dundee no family present and her ashes were passed from the Crematorium back to the Funeral Directors for a month but not claimed and then returned to the Crematorium and scattered in the woodland, no family present.  How sad is that.    She lived in Dundee in a high rise until her death in 1990 aged 66yrs. and the high rise flats were demolished in 1995 but I am trying to find out her start in life.   She was never adopted and never married or had children.   The Adoption Society in Edinburgh said it was common for a new baby to be looked after by a family until a placement was found in an orphanage.  But, I am struggling to find out where she grew up and why her family, 5 siblings, never sought to find her.   Orphanage records don't appear to be available for one reason or another so am unsure where I go from here.  I was told my dad HAD a sister and I was named after her.  No more.   Any help on orphanages would be appreciated, Sheila     

Offline Genie24

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: Thursday 04 June 20 12:50 BST (UK) »
 My sympathy to Libby. I am curious to know if you resolved your problem.

I was drawn to this post whilst searching for evidence. I have a couple of Whitburn, West Lothian burial queries and saw MonicaL responding who has helped me a great deal in the past.

Firstly, my great x 3 grandmother Elisabeth Bryce nee Hamilton born 21st november 1802 Whitburn died sometime between the birth of her last child about 1840 and the 1841 census. We believe that last child, who did definitely exist was not registered so no records, apart from census records exist for her.  I know she exists because I am in contact with the wife of her great x 3 grandson and she lived with my great x 3 grandmother for a while. She died on the 15th December 1905 19 Main Street, Whitburn a spinster but had a few  illegitimate children.

So the last recorded birth/baptism was John Bryce 1836. However, I cannot find a death record for Elisabeth anywhere. She does not appear on the Whitburn South Parish Church, Midlothian, Monumental Inscriptions where I have found her husband William Bryce who died 16th July 1886 buried with his 2nd wife Jean Weir who died 1768 togeter with their daughter Elizabeth who died in 1871 aged 20 years.

Also Jane Brown (sometimes recorded as Jean) nee Hamilton who is closely connected to Elisabeth Hamilton as myself and my mother have lots of DNA matches popping up all over the place descended from her. She was born in Whitburn 28th December 1802, baptised 9th January 1803 with parents Robert Hamilton and Agnes Wilson. She married Robert Brown in West Calder in 1822 and was living there in 1841 but lived in Whitburn for the rest of her life. I have her up until 1891 where she is living in Whitburn Main Street, North Side with her nephew John  White. Her age is recorded as 82 which doesn't match the date of birth I have but does match a death on Scotland's People in 1893 aged 84. There are 2 others 1892 aged 79 and a1899 aged 66 so the 1893 one is probably her.

There is a listing for a Jane Brown on the Whitburn South Church Monumental Inscriptions number 158 but no date or any other details.

I need to positively identify these two people to establish their true parentage and connection.
Anderson/Andersson, Imison, Lang, Humble, Mallinder, Brett, Ridley, Ferries, Hall