Author Topic: Can anyone suggest where to find these records??  (Read 3158 times)

Offline jones9

• RootsChat Senior
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Can anyone suggest where to find these records??
« on: Friday 22 August 14 22:00 BST (UK) »
I've tried searching through various archive catalogues (Merionethshire, Denbighshire, NLW, NA) with no success to try to find the following records for the period ca.1750-1850:

-land tax/land registry documents (for years other than 1798) for Corwen and surrounding areas
-Corwen vestry minutes/apprenticeship indentures/any local records
-voters lists/electoral register for corwen (I've seen this quoted in a book ca.1790 so I know it exists for this period)
-shoemakers/leatherworks guild/occupational records

If anyone can suggest where these records are likely to be it would be a great help!

Offline pinot

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
Re: Can anyone suggest where to find these records??
« Reply #1 on: Friday 22 August 14 23:37 BST (UK) »
http://encore.bangor.ac.uk/iii/encore/search/C__Scorwen__P3__Orightresult?lang=eng&suite=cobalt
Hi Jones9,
            This is an attempted  ;D shrunken link to Bangor University Library's Archives, where the only apparently relevant result for your needs is the last item on the page - record for the Corwen Union and more, but dated no later than 1887. My search term was simply 'corwen'.
                           Best of luck,
                                   Pinot

Offline jones9

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Sunday 24 August 14 21:07 BST (UK) »
Hi Pinot,

thanks for your reply and finding this! Do you think it's possible that these records are still at Corwen church itself if they don't appear in the relevant local record offices?

Offline pinot

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Wednesday 27 August 14 23:58 BST (UK) »
I think the only existing copies are probably the ones listed in the University Archives catalogue; if you phone them they might tell you otherwise.