Author Topic: Baker (family) of Beaminster  (Read 2282 times)

Offline Pejic

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
Baker (family) of Beaminster
« on: Saturday 23 August 14 11:34 BST (UK) »
I have recently discovered (I think) after 50 years fruitless searching, the marriage of my 3 x GGP at St Mary’s, Beaminster on 5th September 1809:

James Clark of Portsmouth (at the time) and Mary Baker.

I believe they were natives of Gloucester (the city and Coleford respectively).

The only relevant Baker (family) I can see at present (not very thorough search) is a William Baker who was a linen draper in Beaminster in 1811.

Their first child was born in Gosport the following year and Mary was 99 when she died (maybe a long living line?) on 7th Jan 1885.

I know a great deal about James but virtually nothing about Mary apart from her name, her age when she died, and her birthplace from 2 census returns.

Does anyone wants to know anything about James? Can anyone tell me anything about Mary or her family (I am assuming she was a resident of Beaminster when they married)?

Looking forward to hearing from you,

PS I've e:mailed OPC
Richard Wernham (Berkshire 18th century),
William Hissey (1805 to 1813, Hampstead Norris),
Kapirin (Siberia 19th Century),
Kitching 1850,
Mary Howse born 1806 ish,
Chris Truelove marr. John Pocock 2-7-1696, Kintbury, Berks

Offline Victor Harvey

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Victor is very ill, this account will close soon.
    • View Profile
Re: Baker (family) of Beaminster
« Reply #1 on: Saturday 23 August 14 14:13 BST (UK) »
Hi Pejic,
The Forest of Dean website might be useful to you. It's free, but you will have to register.
http://www.forest-of-dean.org.uk/index.php/resources/parish-records
Victor
HARVEY, Guiting Power, Glos                     
PORTER, Gunmakers of Whitechapel
ALLEN - Blockley, BOWLES - Notgrove, BURROWS - Sevenhampton, COOK - Notgrove, DRINKWATER-LUNN - Aston Cross, FARDON - Temple Guiting, FAULKNER - Cheltenham, GADEN, GAYDEN, GAYDON, GRINHAM - Cheltenham, HART - Stow-on-the-Wold, LANE - Staverton, MOABY - Coln St Aldwyns, STAITE - Temple Guiting, TIMBRELL - Winchcombe, TYSOE - Warks & Glos, WHITFORD - Stanway, WINTLE - Forest of Dean, WYNNIATT - Stanway

Offline Pejic

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Saturday 23 August 14 16:47 BST (UK) »
Thanks for the suggestion Victor, I have used it extensively and productively but none of the Mary Baker marriages fit (I was thinking of Banns) and it will not let me search for a Mary baptism in Coleford without a surname (in case Mary Baker was a 24 year old widow when she married James Clark.  Did you have some other search in mind?

peter
Kitching 1850,

Offline Victor Harvey

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Saturday 23 August 14 17:00 BST (UK) »
Hi Peter,
I don't think I can offer any further suggestions. I could check the FOD PRs at Glos Archives, but I would need some pointers.
Victor
ALLEN - Blockley, BOWLES - Notgrove, BURROWS - Sevenhampton, COOK - Notgrove, DRINKWATER-LUNN - Aston Cross, FARDON - Temple Guiting, FAULKNER - Cheltenham, GADEN, GAYDEN, GAYDON, GRINHAM - Cheltenham, HART - Stow-on-the-Wold, LANE - Staverton, MOABY - Coln St Aldwyns, STAITE - Temple Guiting, TIMBRELL - Winchcombe, TYSOE - Warks & Glos, WHITFORD - Stanway, WINTLE - Forest of Dean, WYNNIATT - Stanway

Offline Pejic

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Saturday 23 August 14 18:05 BST (UK) »
Thanks for the offer Victor, but I do not know what more I can tell you, her age and date of death in her 99th year on 7th Jan 1885 in Chepstow come from a diary of her grandson in law.  Her birth place of Coleford comes from 1851 Chepstow Census (aged 68) and 1861 Chepstow Census (age 75), the 1871 just has her born in Gloucestershire (age 86).

A somewhat less reliable biography of James (he was something of a minor mover and shaker) says she was "of Poolway" when they married.

I have a note of the existence of a will of 1756 of Daniel Baker of Coleford in 1756

on 1-1-1772 Daniel Baker was enlarging the chapel (not sure now whether this was in Poolway or Coleford - I got it on an inscription on a visit many years ago)

1-4-1775 Daniel Baker was the overseer for the tything of Coleford

The only Beaminster "hint" is that in 1811 (2 years after the marriage) there was a William Baker who was a Linen Draper there.  According to the above biography, James was later "in the drapery trade" - he was definitely a lifelong printer and publisher.

If any of this tied to your experience and knowledge of Gloucester records enables you to find out anything else about Mary Baker I would be grateful.

James and Mary's Children were:
George Alfred Amelia
Francis or Frances
James Henry
William Edward
(all unknown names on his side, except for James)

Cheekily taking advantage of your offer: James' parents were James and Sarah Fowler: 2-7-1778 marriage at Gloucester St Nicholas by licence of James Clark, widower of Parish of St Mary de Grace to Sarah Fowler spinster of parish of Holy Trinity. Both signed. Witnesses C Phillips and James Lander. I know nothing else of Sarah Fowler (his first wife was Mary Bannister), so if you can turn anything up about her it would be a bonus.
Kitching 1850,

Offline Victor Harvey

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Monday 25 August 14 07:39 BST (UK) »
Hi Peter,
I think that I have reached the stage when I can only suggest that you employ an experienced researcher. I can recommend a local researcher, who is very experienced, if you wish.
Good hunting!
Victor

Offline Pejic

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Monday 25 August 14 13:18 BST (UK) »
Thanks for being willing to try Victor.  Mary and Sarah are but two of my elusives that I come back to every 5 years or so.  Each time around I find 4 or 5 of them, perhaps one or both of these ladies will get "lucky" next time.
Kitching 1850,