Author Topic: William Wright  (Read 7716 times)

Offline Loupy

• RootsChat Member
  • Grandmother Harriett
    • View Profile
William Wright
« on: Saturday 23 August 14 16:53 BST (UK) »
Good afternoon
I am struggling to find the mother of William Wright b 10 Mar 1843 in March, Camb - he died 16 Jul 1894 in Lambeth, London.  (I was told by my mother before her death that his name was William Mason Wright but I not sure if this is correct or not).

I have his father as being John Wright b1825 Wolsoken, Cambs and his mother Mary ?? (Taken from 1861 and 1871 census).

If, and I say If, I have got things right he has siblings, John b1855, Sarah b1857, Ann b1859, George b1863, James b1867 and Joseph b1871.  With the 12 year difference in births it makes me wonder if Mary ??? was John's second wife.

All the siblings were born in March, Cambs and apart from 1861 census I cannot find any further info on them.

Any help would be much appreciated.

Loupy
Andrews (Suffolk); Arnold (Kent) Barnard (Norfolk/Cambridge); Gilbert (Kent); George (Kent); Pratt (Hunts/London); Jealous (Beds/Hunts); Mauldin (London); Wallis (Somerset/London/Suffolk);  Mortimore (Somerset); Wright (London)

Offline suzard

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: William Wright
« Reply #1 on: Saturday 23 August 14 17:23 BST (UK) »
according to census and the family you quoted that William was b c 1852/3???

Suz
Thornhill, Cresswell, Sisson, Harriman, Cripps, Eyre, Walter, Marson, Battison, Holmes, Bailey, Hardman, Fairhurst Noon-mainly in Derbys/Notts-but also Northampton, Oxford, Leics, Lancs-England
Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline rosie99

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • ALFIE 2009 - 2021 (Rosbercon Sky's the Limit)
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Saturday 23 August 14 17:33 BST (UK) »
Where do you have him in later census

Looking at an old post of yours  http://www.rootschat.com/forum/index.php?topic=299807.0

It would appear that William Wright married Lucy Mortimer 11 September 1881 at St James, Bethnal Green.
William was full age occ Painter father John Wright decd
Lucy was 20, her father was Thomas Mortimer also decd.

Sorry I amended this while you were posting

Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Loupy

• RootsChat Member
  • Grandmother Harriett
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Saturday 23 August 14 18:08 BST (UK) »
Hi there
Thanks for your responses.

In 1891 I have him a living at 19 King Street, Lambeth - Painter.  He was with Lucy his wife there.

Loupy

Andrews (Suffolk); Arnold (Kent) Barnard (Norfolk/Cambridge); Gilbert (Kent); George (Kent); Pratt (Hunts/London); Jealous (Beds/Hunts); Mauldin (London); Wallis (Somerset/London/Suffolk);  Mortimore (Somerset); Wright (London)

Offline rosie99

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Saturday 23 August 14 18:17 BST (UK) »
His 1881 marriage to Lucy says he is of full age and Lucy is 20. The 1891 says he is 36 and Lucy is 37  :-\

Where did you get his date of birth from. I see he was apparently 51 when he died in 1894.

Offline suzard

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Saturday 23 August 14 20:52 BST (UK) »
Good afternoon
I am struggling to find the mother of William Wright b 10 Mar 1843 in March, Camb - he died 16 Jul 1894 in Lambeth, London.  (I was told by my mother before her death that his name was William Mason Wright but I not sure if this is correct or not).

I have his father as being John Wright b1825 Wolsoken, Cambs and his mother Mary ?? (Taken from 1861 and 1871 census).

If, and I say If, I have got things right he has siblings, John b1855, Sarah b1857, Ann b1859, George b1863, James b1867 and Joseph b1871.  With the 12 year difference in births it makes me wonder if Mary ??? was John's second wife.

All the siblings were born in March, Cambs and apart from 1861 census I cannot find any further info on them.

Any help would be much appreciated.

Loupy

I think you are getting a little muddled
The family you found in 1861/71 have son William with them in both census -1861 he is age 9 1871 age 19 -so he was not b 1843 and there is not a 10 year age gap between the children

In your earlier post you say that William lived in London and was married to Lucy

That William seems to have p.o.b. Hitchin

Could you post what definate information you have and where it was sourced??

Suz
Thornhill, Cresswell, Sisson, Harriman, Cripps, Eyre, Walter, Marson, Battison, Holmes, Bailey, Hardman, Fairhurst Noon-mainly in Derbys/Notts-but also Northampton, Oxford, Leics, Lancs-England
Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Loupy

• RootsChat Member
  • Grandmother Harriett
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Sunday 24 August 14 11:03 BST (UK) »
Hi there - this is so very confusing.  The information was sourced from my grandmother Harriet Jemima  - William's daughter by Lucy.

The information she has written down is that William was married before to a Hannah Baxter and he had 4 children with Hannah.  I know his marriage certificate to Lucy states "batchelor" but I have been in contact with descendants of Williams children by his first wife Hannah, i.e. Grace Frances (see below)!

What my grandmother wrote down was:

14.1.1877 17 Allen Street - birth of Grace Frances - father Mason Wright mother Hannah Baxter - occupation House Painter. (I have a copy of her birth certificate)
1881 census - 22 Carlisle Street, Lambeth - William Wright - widower - House Painter
11.9.1881 marries Lucy Mortimore  as William Wright - Batchelor - Painter
17.7.1882 - 31 Carlisle Street, Lambeth - birth of Lucy - father Mason Wright mother Lucy Mortimore - House Painter
20.4.1890 - 19 King Street, Lambeth - birth of Catherine Eleanor - father William Wright mother Lucy Mortimore - House Painter
24.4.1893 - 19 Wake Street - Death of William Wright - House Painter (age 51)

Lucy and William have six children (including my grandmother Harriet).

I know this is confusing and I do apologise to everyone in advance!  With many, many thanks.

Loupy

Offline rosie99

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Sunday 24 August 14 12:56 BST (UK) »
It might not seem relevant but where and when did William marry Hannah.  Do you have them with the other children in census.

The 1881 at 22 Carlisle Street has him as William W Wright age 34 bn Westminster.

Offline Loupy

• RootsChat Member
  • Grandmother Harriett
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Sunday 24 August 14 13:43 BST (UK) »
Thank you for your response.

The 1881 census shows William & Hannahs children as "boarders" at 41 Harwich Road, Southwark. These being Grace, William and Charles.

Alas, I cannot find a marriage between William and Hannah!   So, was he living in sin with Hannah?? This would account for the "bachelor" status when he marries Lucy!  However, Hannah's death in 1880 is recorded as Hannah Wright!

The plot thickens!

Loupy