Author Topic: Alfred Tenyson Hudson  (Read 7148 times)

Offline Lisa141

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Alfred Tenyson Hudson
« Reply #9 on: Wednesday 27 May 15 15:52 BST (UK) »
Hi, did you make any connections?

Offline BallyaltikilliganG

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Thursday 28 May 15 21:33 BST (UK) »
From http://freepages.genealogy.rootsweb.ancestry.com/~econnolly/rohpci/rohrathfriland.html
The WW1 contribution from just one church Rathfriland 3rd Presbyterian includes those who served
Hudson   J. E.   
Rathfriland   Sergeant   R.E.   
Hudson   John C.   
Rathfriland   Lieutenant   A.S.C.   
Hudson   H. Q.   
Rathfriland   Sergeant   Tank Corps   
Hudson   R. K.   
Rathfriland   Lance-Corporal   Training Reserve   
Hudson   R. J.   
Rathfriland   Driver   Red Cross Service 

Alfred Tennyson Hudson has been given his own webpage on https://livesofthefirstworldwar.org/lifestory/5952682
Gracey Gracie Gracy Grassy Greacy
worldwide

Offline BallyaltikilliganG

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Friday 29 May 15 09:36 BST (UK) »
Going backwards in time from Aghadoweys contribution in case it becomes of interest.
James m before 1864 so b~1844
father was a Robert so b1822~

then looking at a census substitute the Tithe-Applotment-Books 1834 for Drumgath were compiled in 1834, there are surprisingly no Hudsons
then looking at the next census substitute Griffiths valuation 1864 Drumgath see http://www.askaboutireland.ie/griffith-valuation/ which has continuation listings at PRONI up to 1921
Samuel at Cross townland map ref 32 which appears to be 5 acres of land , and he might be the one and same Samuel below
Samuel beside Caddell’sLane in Cross intersects map ref 55 29 This is a grand house [or business], office , yard,and small garden  v£20 pa ie Rathfryland
James in Main St Cross map ref 55.4 House iffice yard v£10.10shillings pa
William in Lissize townland  Map ref 7 actually 7c  has House and small garden v£2pa which is above the average

So where is Robert and is that a young James above

Switching to Ros Davies Co Down website who has more than the 3 Roberts below http://freepages.genealogy.rootsweb.ancestry.com/~rosdavies/SURNAMES/H/Hu.htm
Robert HUDSON Drumgath   a reedmaker in Rathfriland in 1819   POD
Robert HUDSON Drumgath   a boot & shoemaker in Rathfriland in 1824   POD
These earlier Roberts maybe 18thcentury births and the same person

Robert   HUDSON Drumgath   late of Rathfriland; married Elizabeth, 2nd daughter of William Balgowan Esq. late of Rhynie, Aberdeenshire, Scotland 17 Sep 1867 at Deyburgh, Fish River NSW Australia, home of the bride's father   NLAT [see aghadoweys list

So back church records, as I found substantial Hudson entries from the 3rd Presbyterian church, Rathfriland , here is the surviving records at PRONI
P. 1st Rathfriland
Baptisms, 1827-1970; marriages, 1782-1811 and
1845-1936.
Mariages,1936-; register of seatholders, 1853-60;
visiting book,1798.
MIC1P/131; T/1037;
D1759/1D/14
In Presbyterian Historical
Society
P. 2nd Rathfriland
Baptisms, 1804-1934; marriages, 1805-43 and 1845-
1935; deaths, 1849-58; session minutes, 1805-49; lists
of new communicants, 1849-60; committee minutes,
1866-c.1900; communion roll, 1865-79. MIC1P/387; T/1539
P. 3rd Rathfriland
Baptisms, 1834-1934; marriages, 1834-1935;
communion roll, 1865-79.
Minute book of Sunday School, 1833-82, and roll book,
1853-80, with gaps.
MIC1P/388; T/1539/3
T/1537
That ends my contribution to a war hero’s background
JimG
Gracey Gracie Gracy Grassy Greacy
worldwide

Offline Rosemary Curry

• RootsChat Pioneer
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Sunday 13 May 18 23:22 BST (UK) »
Would love to reply as I am this gentleman's great niece but am unable to

Offline aghadowey

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Sunday 27 May 18 09:34 BST (UK) »
Would love to reply as I am this gentleman's great niece but am unable to

Welcome to Rootschat, Rosemary  :)

You have posted a reply on this thread. Just click on the 'reply' button, type your message then click on the 'post' button like you've already done.
Away sorting out DNA matches... I may be gone for some time many years!

Offline McDa

• RootsChat Pioneer
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Tuesday 30 June 20 07:19 BST (UK) »
Hi all. My sister pointed out this thread, so I thought I'd answer.

Alfred Tennyson Hudson (1879–1938) - BIRTH 13 NOV 1879 • Rathfriland, Down, Ireland, DEATH 6 MAY 1938 • Notikewin, Alberta, Canada is my great uncle. As far as I know he never married and had no children.

My maternal great grandfather James Hudson (1833–1893) - BIRTH 02 JAN 1833 • Rathfriland, Down, Northern Ireland, DEATH 14 MAY 1893 • Rathfriland, Down, Northern Ireland had 12 children that I know of.

My grandfather (who also married twice and had 14 children! Many of his sons served as well), Robert James Hudson (1871–1934) - BIRTH 22 MAY 1871 • Rathfriland, Down, Northern Ireland, DEATH 06 DEC 1934 • Rathfriland, Down, Northern Ireland is his half brother from my ggf's first marriage to Mary Anne Bell (he was the 5th of six). Alfred was the 4th of six from James' 2nd marriage to Martha Ann Cromie.

The family had lived in Rathfriland probably since the Implantation.

As you have noted, all the surviving sons fought in the war. My grandfather (an auctioneer in Newry) was too old to fight so drove ambulances for the red cross on the Italian front. My mother told me that he was one of the first people in Ireland (as it then was) to own a motor car which he bought in the Paris Exhibition in 1900 and drove back home. I have a photo of the car.

I have recorded all that I have so far found on my Family tree on Ancestry called 'The Shropshire Ashdowns' - it is public.

Thanks for all the careful enquiry and extra detail which I shall certainly add to the family history!

Needless to say, i would love to make contact with any long lost relatives.

Bristol, UK.

Edited: I forgot to say - re 'The cemetery caretaker has applied for & been granted a new headstone and is arranging a small service.
Alfred's situation here is not known but it would appear he didn't marry or have a family...just used a small grant to buy some land!'

Please can I learn more and could someone post a photo of the grave and I shall add it to the family tree.

We are very proud of all our Hudson ancestors...They are certainly not forgotten here!