Author Topic: David Waddell died 1923  (Read 7401 times)

Offline aghadowey

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: David Waddell died 1923
« Reply #9 on: Monday 25 August 14 13:15 BST (UK) »
Several online trees give parents of the David Waddell of Yokohama that I found, but am very suspicious as Lily and a daughter Isabella are only children listed, no date of death, or place, for David mentioned, etc.
Away sorting out DNA matches... I may be gone for some time many years!

Offline aghadowey

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Monday 25 August 14 13:17 BST (UK) »
Wonder if N.Z. papers would help find David Waddell?
http://paperspast.natlib.govt.nz/cgi-bin/paperspast?a=d&d=ODT19081228.2.49
Away sorting out DNA matches... I may be gone for some time many years!

Offline Tsoram

• RootsChat Pioneer
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Tuesday 24 February 15 22:13 GMT (UK) »
Just saw this. I should declare an interest as I am a descendant of Hugh Waddell (through Helen's brother Martin). As far as I am aware Hugh did NOT have a son David. Have you had any luck in your follow up efforts?

Online Forfarian

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • http://www.rootschat.com/links/01ruz/
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Wednesday 25 February 15 09:57 GMT (UK) »
Just saw this. I should declare an interest as I am a descendant of Hugh Waddell (through Helen's brother Martin). As far as I am aware Hugh did NOT have a son David. Have you had any luck in your follow up efforts?

Only to the extent that I have found no actual evidence to suggest that this hypothetical David ever existed - which I suppose is useful in itself.

David came from someone else's tree that I was given, though I am now unable to find the original. I always make a point of following up and checking out anything that comes without sources. I have, as far as I can, followed up the tree and have found evidence to support most of what it contained, and have been able to expand it a bit.

My interest is because I am descended from two Waddell families in New Monkland (Lanarkshire, Scotland). Rev Hugh Waddell is said to be a descendant of William Waddell, brother or son of John Waddell the Martyr, who was executed in 1679 for being on the losing side at the Battle of Bothwell Brig. William is said to have been sentenced to transportation, but escaped when the convict ship 'Crown of London' was wrecked in Orkney, and settled in Ireland, becoming the progenitor of the Waddells of Ouley. I believe that John the Martyr was my 7th-great-grandfather, so if I have it right you and I would be something like 8th cousins once or twice removed.

There are also the Islandderry and Monaghan Waddells, said to be descended from Waddells from New Monkland. Again, I have an outline tree and have been trying to verify and expand it.

I would very much like to compare notes with you as I still have plenty of  potential errors and inconsistencies to resolve.
Never trust anything you find online (especially submitted trees and transcriptions on Ancestry, MyHeritage, FindMyPast and other commercial web sites) unless it's an image of an original document - and even then be wary because errors can and do occur.

Offline BallyaltikilliganG

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Wednesday 25 February 15 19:31 GMT (UK) »
Hi, I have no idea if you know anything about the following, I can  offer two reference for Waddell family trees, in the Blackwood Family History manuscript trees Collection in the LinenHall library, Belfast.  Visit if you can give them warning helps, if you cant then I suggest you write to them asking them for photocopying estimates only if they think your knowledge relevant and be prepared to pay the extra for post and packing if you are tempted.  “The Library welcomes all research enquiries, whether made in person, by phone, fax, letter or e-mail. Enquiries from members will be answered free of charge. Visitors from afar, and in particular those engaged in serious research projects, are recommended to make prior contact with the Library to ensure that they receive the best possible service. More complex enquiries should be made by letter, fax, or e-mail. Enquiries of this kind from within the British Isles will normally be answered free of charge, apart from any copying and postage charges. A minimum charge of £2 will normally be made in respect of overseas enquiries. A4 photocopies b&w are 20p.  The Library may be able to assist those with more extensive research requirements on terms subject to negotiation with the Librarian. Contact the Library for further information on info@linenhall.com or Telephone 028 9032 1707. Their address is The Linen Hall Library,17 Donegall Square North, Belfast BT15GB, Northern Ireland, see their website for contact details or use Email:info@linenhall.com.
The volume references for
➢   WADDELL   49, 92
➢   Hoping this is includes new information for you
➢   good luck, Jim
ps However if the material is really relevant when you get it, I suggest a further donation to this unique library that is always needing extra funds.

Gracey Gracie Gracy Grassy Greacy
worldwide

Offline BallyaltikilliganG

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Thursday 26 February 15 08:19 GMT (UK) »
I forgot to mention the book ! C. W. Bingley's labour of love, The Waddells
of Ireland is back in print
<http://www.booksireland.org.uk/store/all-departments/waddells-ireland?utm_source=emailcampaign287&utm_medium=phpList&utm_content=textemail&utm_campaign=Book
+titles+back+in+stock%21+%27Men+and+Arms%27%2C+%27Famine+in+Ulster%27...>
Gracey Gracie Gracy Grassy Greacy
worldwide

Offline SuzyQ56

• RootsChat Pioneer
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Saturday 04 April 15 09:21 BST (UK) »
Hi there,  I just came across your thread.  The David Waddell who died in the 1923 Kanto Japan earthquake was a great uncle of mine... brother of my Grandfather.  The descent is Scottish... hailing from Bo'Ness.  David's father was William Waddell and his mother was Elisabeth Smith.  David was a Shipping Clerk in Yokohama at the time of the earthquake and thus perished.  He had a brother James - also a Shipping Clerk in Kobe at the same time and for a longer duration than that of David.  Hope that helps to clarify whether this family are related to yourself.   

David was in fact married to Minnie.  Sue

Online Forfarian

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • http://www.rootschat.com/links/01ruz/
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Saturday 04 April 15 11:14 BST (UK) »
Thank you very much, SuzyQ56. That seems to settle the matter as far as a possible link to the Irish Waddells. One of these rare cases where proving a negative is really helpful.
Never trust anything you find online (especially submitted trees and transcriptions on Ancestry, MyHeritage, FindMyPast and other commercial web sites) unless it's an image of an original document - and even then be wary because errors can and do occur.