Author Topic: Searching for Sgt Woodward  (Read 1172 times)

Offline merlot59

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Searching for Sgt Woodward
« on: Monday 25 August 14 10:56 BST (UK) »
My mother-in-law has fond memories of a Sgt Woodward who was stationed in Eckington, Derbyshire at the start of World War II before being posted overseas. He would come to her home for a meal and he taught her to play draughts. She was only about 7 at the time (she's now 81) and he seemed to have brought her some kindness into a tough life as her mother was ill and died shortly afterwards.  She thinks he may have come from London but has no idea of his regiment or first name. She has a photo of him and some of the other soldiers; the photo attached is a close up of him taken from this photo. I know it's a long shot but maybe there is a Woodward family somewhere who heard stories about Sgt Woodward's brief time in Eckington.

Offline Barry Ponsford

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
Re: Searching for Sgt Woodward
« Reply #1 on: Monday 28 November 16 14:47 GMT (UK) »
Hi

Do you know Sgt Woodward first name?

My Grandfather was a in the RAF in WW2, his name was Leonard G Woodward (or Len), I don't know what unit he was in, but I do know he went to train some pilots in the US/Canada.

Could this be the man?

Barry

Offline MaxD

• Deceased † Rest In Peace
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Searching for Sgt Woodward
« Reply #2 on: Monday 28 November 16 16:31 GMT (UK) »
This looks very much like a Coldstream Guards sergeant, definitely not RAF.   There are some Woodwards on the Surname list (bottom of the page) you could try London references there.  Also although you have only rank and place and date the Coldstream Guards archives may be able to help although they have to charge for their services.
https://www.coldstreamguards.org.uk/histories-of-the-coldstream-guards/archives.html

maxD
I am Zoe Northeast, granddaughter of Maximilian Double.

It is with great difficulty I share with you that in the early hours of 07 August 2021, Maximilian passed away unexpectedly but peacefully.

With deep sadness,
Zoe

Double  Essex/Suffolk
Randle/Millington Warwicks
Sokser/Klingler Austria/Croatia