Author Topic: How did Baskerville get his name?  (Read 4967 times)

Offline bibliotaphist

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
How did Baskerville get his name?
« on: Monday 25 August 14 22:30 BST (UK) »
I'm looking at the family of James BOWDEN and Eliza [??DIXON??] in Stadhampton in the 1860s-1870s.

James was an ag. lab., and the couple had six children: Edwin, Ellen, George, Louisa, Martha... and Baskerville.

Baskerville Simms Bowden.

b. c.1852 in Brookhampton, Oxon. - d. 1932 in Sheffield, Yorks.

Wondering out loud how he ended up with a set of names like that, when his siblings all seemed to have been given single, fairly sturdy C19th English forenames? I can't help but think he was named after someone... but who?

Offline avm228

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: How did Baskerville get his name?
« Reply #1 on: Monday 25 August 14 23:11 BST (UK) »
He does not appear to have a birth registration in that name - have you found one?

He is the eldest child in the 1861 household, aged 7. Have you established that he was definitely a child of James & Eliza, rather than being brought into the relationship by one or other of them?
Ayr: Barnes, Wylie
Caithness: MacGregor
Essex: Eldred (Pebmarsh)
Gloucs: Timbrell (Winchcomb)
Hants: Stares (Wickham)
Lincs: Maw, Jackson (Epworth, Belton)
London: Pierce
Suffolk: Markham (Framlingham)
Surrey: Gosling (Richmond)
Wilts: Matthews, Tarrant (Calne, Preshute)
Worcs: Milward (Redditch)
Yorks: Beaumont, Crook, Moore, Styring (Huddersfield); Middleton (Church Fenton); Exley, Gelder (High Hoyland); Barnes, Birchinall (Sheffield); Kenyon, Wood (Cumberworth/Denby Dale)

Offline bibliotaphist

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Monday 25 August 14 23:15 BST (UK) »
He does not appear to have a birth registration in that name - have you found one?

He is the eldest child in the 1861 household, aged 7. Have you established that he was definitely a child of James & Eliza, rather than being brought into the relationship by one or other of them?

I haven't established anything yet... that he was adopted or similar (or from a previous relationship) is a good thought. Bears investigation.

Offline avm228

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Monday 25 August 14 23:36 BST (UK) »
It's odd, isn't it? The other children's births seem to have been registered in Abingdon district, but no sign of Baskerville under Bowden, Dixon, Sim(m)s or anything else.

???
Ayr: Barnes, Wylie
Caithness: MacGregor
Essex: Eldred (Pebmarsh)
Gloucs: Timbrell (Winchcomb)
Hants: Stares (Wickham)
Lincs: Maw, Jackson (Epworth, Belton)
London: Pierce
Suffolk: Markham (Framlingham)
Surrey: Gosling (Richmond)
Wilts: Matthews, Tarrant (Calne, Preshute)
Worcs: Milward (Redditch)
Yorks: Beaumont, Crook, Moore, Styring (Huddersfield); Middleton (Church Fenton); Exley, Gelder (High Hoyland); Barnes, Birchinall (Sheffield); Kenyon, Wood (Cumberworth/Denby Dale)

Offline 777777

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Monday 25 August 14 23:50 BST (UK) »
WOW, that's the coolest name ever. Totally naming one of my children Baskerville. On a similar note, I found an early 19th-century Herculaes Kelly mixed in with the usual pile of Johns, Patricks and Nicholases in a parish baptismal register in Co. Wexford recently. Nearly pissed myself laughing.

How far back have you traced Baskerville's parents? Could it be, for example, the maiden name of his maternal grandmother? Baskerville appears to have also named his eldest son, b.1888, Baskerville Simms, and there is a Baskerville Simms Austin whose birth is registered in 1902, possibly a child of one of Baskerville's daughters? There is also a Baskerville Simms Bowden m.1874 in Sheffield, possibly a cousin? Or possibly an earlier marriage for the same guy. Can't find any earlier potential family members whose first name is Baskerville, however it seems to be a common surname in Yorkshire. I strongly suspect it's a surname somewhere in his recent ancestry.

Offline suzard

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Monday 25 August 14 23:57 BST (UK) »
Wonder if he is connected in any way?

Baskerville Sims Austin b. 1902 Rotherham

unfortunately it seems he died 1908 so can't find parents

Suz
Thornhill, Cresswell, Sisson, Harriman, Cripps, Eyre, Walter, Marson, Battison, Holmes, Bailey, Hardman, Fairhurst Noon-mainly in Derbys/Notts-but also Northampton, Oxford, Leics, Lancs-England
Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline wrjones

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Tuesday 26 August 14 00:01 BST (UK) »
Baskerville is also a common surname in the Stoke-on-Trent area of Staffordshire,I have a few in my Tree.

Regards
William Russell Jones.
Jones, Griffiths. Stephens, Parry, Gabriel, Conway, Hughes, Evans, Roberts, Lea, Hanmer. Peake, Edwards. Newnes, Davies. Thomas. "Blythin".
All North Wales.
Conway, Durber, Cartlidge, Lovatt, Bebington. Brindley, Sankey, Brunt. Dean. Clewes. Rhodes. Mountford,Walker,Bache, "Gibbons"Hood. Taylor
All Stoke-on-Trent.
Francis - Nantwich Cheshire.
Dennell - Cheshire/Staffordshire.
Talbot-Shropshire
Census Information Is Crown Copyright,from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline bibliotaphist

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Tuesday 26 August 14 12:00 BST (UK) »
How far back have you traced Baskerville's parents? Could it be, for example, the maiden name of his maternal grandmother?

I haven't got any further back yet. It would be nice if Baskerville (as well as being an awesome name) turned out to be a clue to previous generations...

Baskerville appears to have also named his eldest son, b.1888, Baskerville Simms,

Yes, B.S.B. jr birth registered Q4 1887 in Sheffield. Crane driver. Died aged 58. Buried 13th April 1946, Handsworth Cemetery, Sheffield.

and there is a Baskerville Simms Austin whose birth is registered in 1902, possibly a child of one of Baskerville's daughters?

Can't spot a Bowden-Austin marriage at the mo, but FreeBMD is down at the minute so can't look properly.

There is also a Baskerville Simms Bowden m.1874 in Sheffield, possibly a cousin? Or possibly an earlier marriage for the same guy.

I'm pretty sure B.S.B. sr married twice and this is his first marriage to Emily BINGHAM... Emily Bowden aged 29, wife of Baskerville S. Bowden, buried 16th May 1886, Attercliffe Cemetery, Sheffield. Baskerville S. Bowden married Louisa Harriet ROUND, Q4 1886 in Sheffield.

Offline bibliotaphist

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Tuesday 26 August 14 22:24 BST (UK) »
Update: now that FreeBMD is back up I can see that a Louisa BOWDEN married William AUSTIN, Q4 1878 in Sheffield. 1881 census she is there with place of birth = Oxford.

This could be Baskerville Simms Bowden senior's younger sister Louisa, which could explain the Baskerville Simms Austin b. 1902 - named after his uncle??