Author Topic: Charles Smith, born December 28, 1864 or 1865  (Read 3074 times)

Offline jstuber

• RootsChat Extra
  • I've not edited my PROFILE yet
    • View Profile
Charles Smith, born December 28, 1864 or 1865
« on: Monday 25 August 14 22:51 BST (UK) »
I'm helping someone trace Charles Smith's ancestors.  On his death certificate in 1916 in Pittsburgh, PA his parents are listed as Michael Smith (born England) and Bridget Cavenaugh (maybe Cavanaugh?) born in Ireland.  On another record he listed his date of birth as December 28, 1864 and I think that's more likely.  The person I'm helping believes he was born in Cardiff, Wales, but there have been enough mistakes in that work that I don't trust that specific location.  But he consistently recorded his birth place as Wales.  On two censuses he said he immigrated to America in 1883.  He didn't marry until 4 years after he arrived in the states.

Any help finding his birth location and parents would be appreciated.

Offline Bethan

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
Re: Charles Smith, born December 28, 1864 or 1865
« Reply #1 on: Saturday 30 August 14 22:32 BST (UK) »
The only Charles Smith born in Wales in December 1864 was born in Swansea, you need to get someone to check out the 1871 census for Swansea to see if he is on it

Best Wishes Bethan
Denton,Barfoot,Emery in Bedford.Howells of Pembroke,Davies of Rhymney,Jones of Carmarthen.

Online CaroleW

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Barney 1993-2004
    • View Profile
Re: Charles Smith, born December 28, 1864 or 1865
« Reply #2 on: Saturday 30 August 14 23:55 BST (UK) »
Neither the English or Welsh 1871 has a match for that profile and parents.  There is no marriage for his parents on freebmd prior to 1864
Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
Carlin (Ireland & Liverpool) Doughty & Wright (Liverpool) Dick & Park (Scotland & Liverpool)