Author Topic: Glendalough in 1911 Irish census  (Read 6244 times)

Offline ourgang

• RootsChat Senior
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Glendalough in 1911 Irish census
« Reply #9 on: Saturday 30 August 14 14:10 BST (UK) »
Thank you so much for that Dathai.
I have to go back to basics on my McGuirk research. I have all certs and connections to 1850 in Blackrock, Co Dublin. then when I found a grave in Deansgrange for my Gt grandfather Richard McGuirk it had an unexpected soldier Peter mcGuirk, buried there 1868 aged 35 years.I have found reference to a Peter McGuirk born Derrylossry, Wicklow about 1833.Also found the same Peter in the 1851 English Census...soldier East india's Company Depor, Warley Barracks. Tara from rootschat found a baptism for Peter 1831 at Glendalough son of Richard and Sarah..correct names so I am taking this as good.

From Deansgrange cemetery info Sarah died in 1870 at 55yrs and Richard died in 1878 at 76 yrs.

I went off on a complete tangent looking at the McGuirks in Tonygarry and Glencree trying to establish a connection and lost sight of the Derrylossry bits.
A Richard born approx 1801 was in Wicklow jail 1846..found this on Mormons site and went to the jail last week to look at the place...fascinating visit...while there a chance conversation with some Wicklow people who were related to a branch of McGuirks rekindled my interest in Raheen.

I have to get back to basics and look for births around Glendalough for Richard and Peter and marriage of Richard and Sarah..remember I saw Parker as a surname for her mentioned in some doc....and see if I can find a connection.Can't believe I spent so much time down the cul de sac !!
McGuirk, Jordan of Wicklow
Carr of Liverpool
Connor of Blackrock

Offline ourgang

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Saturday 10 December 16 11:51 GMT (UK) »
Two years later and I realise just how poor I am at family research.
Since the Roman Catholic parish records came on line I have been able to find that Richard McGuirk (1802-1878) married Sarah (Sally) Byrne (1815-1870) on 22 November 1830 in Glendalough.
I have traced children,
 Peter about 1831-4/8/1868 buried in Deansgrange Cemetery.He was a soldier and Rootschat members helped me trace his records.
John 20/9/1835 Glendalough
Richard 21/11/1843 Glendalough
Elizabeth 27/12/1846 Glendalough.
I know Richard was in Wicklow Jail after the birth of Elizabeth and I assume when he got out of jail he came to Blackrock in County Dublin as I find him at Booterstownand Blackrock on the birth of my Gt Grandfather Edward 1851.
I have been able to trace my Gt Grandfather Edward to his death on 23 June 1922 in Blackrock and his numerous prison stays!!But, I can't seem to get any leads on John who may have stayed in the Wicklow/Glendalough area or Richard or Elizabeth who probably came to Blackrock with the parents.
What am I doing wrong?
Carr of Liverpool
Connor of Blackrock

Offline ourgang

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Sunday 10 April 22 14:17 BST (UK) »
It is now 2022 and I come back to the elusive missing McGuirk family members!!.
Peter McGuirk 1831 to 1868.
I know he was a soldier. A rootschatter Tara found him in the 1851 census in the East India Co Worley Barracks. He died 4 August 1868. I found a grave in Deansgrange Cemetery for him and he is described as a soldier from the 84th Regiment and is also listed as single.

I was happy enough with this until yesterday going through the Irish Genealogy site I found a birth for a Richard McGuirk 17 October 1865 at Dún Laoghaire, father listed as Peter, soldier, abroad and mother Mary nee Farrell! Could my Peter have married? Would this be his child? Would that child Richard have lived?
Carr of Liverpool
Connor of Blackrock

Offline Maiden Stone

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Sunday 10 April 22 20:06 BST (UK) »

Peter McGuirk 1831 to 1868.
I know he was a soldier. A rootschatter Tara found him in the 1851 census in the East India Co Worley Barracks. He died 4 August 1868. I found a grave in Deansgrange Cemetery for him and he is described as a soldier from the 84th Regiment and is also listed as single.

I was happy enough with this until yesterday going through the Irish Genealogy site I found a birth for a Richard McGuirk 17 October 1865 at Dún Laoghaire, father listed as Peter, soldier, abroad and mother Mary nee Farrell! Could my Peter have married? Would this be his child? Would that child Richard have lived?

Have you looked for a death which may have been young Richard?
A soldier was supposed to ask permission of his commanding officer to marry. If Peter didn't obtain permission the army may have regarded him as single or may not have known about his wife.
You may get more helpful replies if you start a new thread for Richard McGuirk, son of Peter. If you do that, be sure to mention and link your other topics about the family so people can see what you've already found.
Cowban

Offline ourgang

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Monday 11 April 22 18:19 BST (UK) »
Thank you Maiden Stone for your reply and tips. I have not found a death for the young Richard McGuirk nor a death for the child's mother Mary McGuirk nee Farrell. Peter (the soldier) has intrigued me since I found his graveyard record and the thought that he had a wife and son further intrigue me.
Carr of Liverpool
Connor of Blackrock