Author Topic: What does "common village" mean?  (Read 4284 times)

Offline annesthreads

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
What does "common village" mean?
« on: Tuesday 26 August 14 19:50 BST (UK) »
The address for the family I'm looking at in Llangynider, Breconshire in 1871 is "common village". Some of the other entries have the same, some the names of farms. I'm guessing the obvious, that they lived in the village, but I've never come across this term before.
Brien; Young (Gloucestershire and Manchester); Gleave; Wilson (Lincolnshire and Manchester); Brandish; Buxton; Govier; Hilton (Lancashire); Gerrard; Bishop (Gloucestershire).

Offline EmyrBorth

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
Re: What does "common village" mean?
« Reply #1 on: Tuesday 26 August 14 20:44 BST (UK) »
Hi
Haven't come across the term "common village", but I have come across the term "village". I have an interest in Beddgelert, Caernarvonshire; it seems to be the practice there, as far as Parish Registers are concerned, that they don't give the address of places within the village , but do name the farms/homesteads outside the village.
Emyr

Offline iluleah

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Zeya who has a plastic bag fetish
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Tuesday 26 August 14 21:08 BST (UK) »
A village green is a common open area within a settlement. Traditionally, a village green was often common grassland at the centre of an agricultural or other rural area, so I think you are correct in it meaning the houses around the 'common' or village green, so the village itself.
Farms often had names, village houses didn't have names or numbers, they just knew who lived in which house
Leicestershire:Chamberlain, Dakin, Wilkinson, Moss, Cook, Welland, Dobson, Roper,Palfreman, Squires, Hames, Goddard, Topliss, Twells,Bacon.
Northamps:Sykes, Harris, Rice,Knowles.
Rutland:Clements, Dalby, Osbourne, Durance, Smith,Christian, Royce, Richardson,Oakham, Dewey,Newbold,Cox,Chamberlaine,Brow, Cooper, Bloodworth,Clarke
Durham/Yorks:Woodend, Watson,Parker, Dowser
Suffolk/Norfolk:Groom, Coleman, Kemp, Barnard, Alden,Blomfield,Smith,Howes,Knight,Kett,Fryston
Lincolnshire:Clements, Woodend

Offline annesthreads

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Tuesday 26 August 14 21:13 BST (UK) »
Thankyou both - that all makes sense!
Brien; Young (Gloucestershire and Manchester); Gleave; Wilson (Lincolnshire and Manchester); Brandish; Buxton; Govier; Hilton (Lancashire); Gerrard; Bishop (Gloucestershire).