Author Topic: James Nelson Senior..  (Read 11484 times)

Offline dalek39

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
James Nelson Senior..
« on: Wednesday 27 August 14 03:56 BST (UK) »
Since my last post re James Nelson..born 1841  Shankill Belfast..I have gathered all his records within Australia...now..I want to find his parents and siblings  if thats at all possible..I understand the Irish records are not always that accessible...but Im hoping someone better equipped  than me can help..I have been offline for some time, as my husband was very ill the last year. .since then he has died..so I would like to resume my searching...apologies for any misunderstandings at the time...

The James Nelson Im searching is the father of James Nelson born in 1841...I believe James Snr would have been born around 1818 Belfast Ireland..They were Church of Ireland as I was informed.
The family lived in Shankill Belfast..and I know James Snr was a Publican, as this was on his sons marriage certificate... I found a James Nelson residing at 20 John Street Belfast..Publican..Wine Merchant..in the Belfast Directories..1831-2  Proni..  So wonder if there is any record on his mother..
I also saw on the `1851 census..James and Agnes Nelson..with son James  age 10..which seemed to fit with the other names on the record.. but he was listed as Accountant  and I contacted a Public Member on Ancestry who had this James in his tree..But he said James  Nelson b 1841  died in Ireland..My James died in Adelaide 1924... I at first ruled this out..what caught my interest..Is James 1841 joined the Kent Regiment in 1857  age 18  at Kent..England..
James the son 1841  was convicted in Malta for shooting at his superior officer, and received a courtsmartial..10 yrs transportation to Perth Western Australia in 1859...as he was convicted all his records..other than the convict ones  were expunged as part of the penality..that is why I dont know who his mother and siblings were...any help, would be greatly appreciated..  ::)

Offline aghadowey

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: James Nelson Senior..
« Reply #1 on: Wednesday 27 August 14 07:32 BST (UK) »
Sorry to hear that you've had such a difficult year.

For reference, here's a link to your earlier Antrim topic on James Nelson born c1840-
http://www.rootschat.com/forum/index.php?topic=603841.msg4530786#msg4530786
and to the Australia one-
http://www.rootschat.com/forum/index.php?topic=421485.msg2866434#msg2866434

From what I can see you didn't really 'find' that James Nelson so I'm not sure that you will be able to step back another generation to get details of his father.
Away sorting out DNA matches... I may be gone for some time many years!

Offline dalek39

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Thursday 28 August 14 01:55 BST (UK) »
Thanks Aghadowey for your sentiments..much appreciated..
.onto James Nelson...I know this is a difficult one, especially when his papers were expunged as part of his penalty...
 but who knows what pops up..Im hopeful.. ::)  I said in my last post that he was Church of Ireland..I know he was a protestant when he lived in Australia....is Church of Ireland Catholic?
The facts I have is  He was born in Shankill Belfast. joined the Buffs 1858..age 18...that is on his convict papers..and his father was a James Nelson .. Publican..on his marriage certificate... I found a James Nelson..20 John Street  Belfast..Publican  (Proni)  maybe I will have to settle for that...would be nice to put a cap on it by knowing who his mother was...anyway..thanks for taking the interest...I will keep my eyes open..maybe there is such a thing as miricles... ;D

Offline aghadowey

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Thursday 28 August 14 08:53 BST (UK) »
Church of Ireland is Protestant (Anglican)- up until disestablishment in 1871 it was the official/state church, also known as the Established Church.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Church_of_Ireland

Offline dalek39

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Thursday 28 August 14 22:15 BST (UK) »
Thanks for that..I thought so..as his convict papers said protestant..just checking to be sure.to be sure..(sorry about that) ;D

Offline dalek39

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Friday 29 August 14 01:35 BST (UK) »
Found A James Nelson..Hide Merchant..Ballyshannon   could that be related to Saddler ? Harnessmaker..same trade ?  and where is Ballyshannon.. also would like sites to Belfast Directories if poss..1840 - 1850...many thanks..

Offline aghadowey

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Friday 29 August 14 08:16 BST (UK) »
If you need to find a place in Ireland, or anywhere else in the world, try a search engine like Google- quite often you'll get a location, map, etc.

Shortest route (according to Google) from Ballyshannon, Co. Donegal to Belfast is 111 miles so nowhere near each other.

Links to lots of Belfast directories online (Lennon Wylie, PRONI, etc.) under Antrim Resources at top of Antrim board.

Offline dalek39

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Saturday 30 August 14 00:00 BST (UK) »
Thanks Aghadowey...will do  ..looks like the distance rules that theory out...Is there and site which tells the households of Belfast..ie  census... I have my doubts.but if anyone knows you will.. :)

Offline aghadowey

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Saturday 30 August 14 09:25 BST (UK) »
First available census for Belfast is 1901.

Please re-read the following 2 topics-
http://www.rootschat.com/forum/index.php?topic=498742.0
http://www.rootschat.com/forum/index.php?topic=442233.0

They go to ANTRIM RESOURCES at the top of the Antrim board to see some of what might be online.