Author Topic: James Nelson Senior..  (Read 11492 times)

Offline dalek39

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: James Nelson Senior..
« Reply #18 on: Wednesday 20 May 15 01:59 BST (UK) »
JUST DISCOVERED ON JAMES NELSON (SON 1841) CONVICT PAPERS THE NAMES AND AGE OF HIS NOK (PARENTS)..UNFORTUNATELY, BEING CONVICTED AND TRANSPORTED HIS NOK WAS DENIED.  BUT  THERE ARE THE AGES OF BOTH PARENTS ON THE PAPER..38 & 41 AT TIME OF CONVICTION 1859 IN MALTA...NOW TAKING THAT DATE BACK GIVES ME A READING FOR JAMES NELSON..1818, AND FOR AGNES 1821..WHICH ARE THAT DATES OF BIRTH THAT I WAS GIVEN FOR HIS PARENTS... :)

Offline aghadowey

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: Wednesday 20 May 15 09:27 BST (UK) »
You are taking a few facts and then trying to fit them into any/all records that you are coming across.

Start with the facts-
James Nelson born 1841 Shankill, Belfast. Marriage gives father as James Nelson, publican. You’ve now ‘just discovered’ that his parents were born c1818 and c1821.

The above does not mean that father James was a publican when son James was born in 1841, was listed in any directory, stayed in Shankill area and wasn’t employed in a pub (rather than actually running it). If James had lost contact with home then it’s possible his parents were already dead and he wasn’t aware that they were.

I found a James Nelson residing at 20 John Street Belfast..Publican..Wine Merchant..in the Belfast Directories..1831-2  Proni.
If father James Nelson was born 1818 then he's not going to be a publican in his early teens.

Now to James Nelson, publican-
Going through some of the directories online you found 1843 Rodger Nelson publican at 23 Union St. living next to a James Nelson at 21 Union St. http://www.lennonwylie.co.uk/alphanames1843N2Y.htm
By the time the 1852 directory was published both addresses are pubs run by James Magee & Robert Boyle.

“I have found James Nelson's father in Shankill Ireland..(Griffiths Valuation)  Winetavern Street..Publican”
Searching for James Nelson, Shankill Parish in Griffith’s brings up 11 entries- the 1st one is James Nelson at 10 Winetavern St. with house offices and yard. It does not say publican. http://www.askaboutireland.ie/griffith-valuation/
The printing date for that is 1860, so using the 1861 directory this seems to be the same James Nelson-
1861 Winetavern St. 10  James Nelson, white smith. http://www.lennonwylie.co.uk/wcomplete1861.htm

However, going back to the online directories there are no clear listings anywhere in Belfast for a James Nelson having a pub from 1843 onwards.

There is still the problem that parents James and Agnes- other forms of Agnes are Nancy, Hannah and Ann(e)- could have died before the start of death registration in 1864. Unfortunately that makes it so much harder to pin down the parents.

Perhaps someday you will make contact with another branch of the family and be able to get further details but I'm going to leave this topic as I've already spent so much time on it.
Away sorting out DNA matches... I may be gone for some time many years!

Offline dalek39

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: Thursday 21 May 15 01:34 BST (UK) »
Thanks Aghadowey..you have done more than expected..I agree..maybe some day, someone will "shine the light" on who , where and what happened to James Nelson..the Publican..cant blame me for trying..after all it is a hobby this family search, and I do so much appreciate those who helped me.. I wont close this post, incase I do come up with anything of interest.  I'm sure "you" will want to know the outcome..thanks for being patient with ...Dalek   ;D

Offline dalek39

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: Thursday 04 June 15 01:10 BST (UK) »
Plase can someone read the Will Calendars and tell me the street name of Samuel Nelson  resided at No6 ....?? Belfast...DOD 16 Dec 1872..grant made 24 Jan. 1873... Dalek..

Offline gaffy

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: Thursday 04 June 15 05:31 BST (UK) »
Plase can someone read the Will Calendars and tell me the street name of Samuel Nelson  resided at No6 ....?? Belfast...DOD 16 Dec 1872..grant made 24 Jan. 1873... Dalek..

PRONI has the following will, date of grant was 24 January 1873:

The Will (with one Codicil) of Samuel Nelson late of Newtownards County Down Hosier deceased who died 16 December 1872 at same place was proved at Belfast by the oaths of the Reverend William M'Ilwrath (Presbyterian Clergyman) and Samuel Bingham (Sergeant in the North Down Militia Regiment) both of Newtownards aforesaid the Executors.

http://www.rootschat.com/links/01ff1/

The will talks about Newtownards property that he holds, ie. situated on the "north side of West Street", containing "one house in front West Street and one house in rear on the south side of Mary Street Lane", also "on the south side of Mark Street", containing "three houses in front Mark Street and also two on rear".

But I can't see any reference to "No6 ....?? Belfast...", where did you see this?

Offline dalek39

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: Thursday 04 June 15 06:49 BST (UK) »
Thanks for that. :).....It was on a marriage record for a Samuel Nelson and Emily Bean..`1873.. writing hard to make out....

Offline dalek39

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: Friday 05 June 15 03:26 BST (UK) »
REPLY TO POST #19.   Sorry about the misunderstanding  I knew that James Nelson 1818 couldnt be the Publican in 1835..I wondered if it was the grandfather...occupations usually followed in families...but not always I know that..but we sometimes need to think "outside the square" to get results...  ;) ;D

Offline dalek39

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: Thursday 18 June 15 01:22 BST (UK) »
On the  1851 Census.. James Nelson. Accountant...born 1818..mother Agnes Nelson 1817  .son James 1841. John 1843..all   born in Ireland...daughters..Mary Jane Nelson. born 1845. Birkenhead England...and Agnes C Nelson. 1846..born Liverpool Lancashire England... I cant find any DOB for these siblings, or Agnes (mother) can someone see if they can...please...

(sorry Aghadowey..just when you thought I had gone.. ;D

Offline dalek39

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: Thursday 07 June 18 00:44 BST (UK) »
Hello to all after a long time away due to the death of my husband over four years ago,,,Now Im back  again....No doubt there will be some members gone, but I have taken up  my hunt for James Nelson again...never let it be said Im not persistent in my search....  I have found it difficult to search for his family in Ireland, due to the fact that his NOK records were expunged as a penalty for his Court Martial...what I want to know is there any way I can find out.. would the Kew Archives have them even though they were wiped from the Military records... All the info is on my previous threads...thank you...Dalek.