Author Topic: James Nelson Senior..  (Read 11482 times)

Offline dalek39

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: James Nelson Senior..
« Reply #9 on: Sunday 31 August 14 02:16 BST (UK) »

Aghadowey   Thanks muchly...that Lennon Wylie site is fantastic...found a lot of Nelsons , obviously not all the one family.. .One thing I did notice, through this observation.... there were a few Nelsons in the leather trade..and judging by the time frame, could have been grandfathers with the same interest...My James Nelson was a Harnessmaker by trade....I realise you cant presume things...just a shame I cant find out who James mother was.. which is what I was hoping....but we cant have it all.. many thanks anyway... :)

Offline dalek39

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Saturday 16 May 15 02:44 BST (UK) »
Since my last post.. I have found James Nelson's father in Shankill Ireland..(Griffiths Valuation)  Winetavern Street..Publican...which is his occupation on his sons marriage certificate..There is also a Jane Nelson, Dealer..living in Winetavern Street, different house number..could be a sister ? wife ?
What I am trying to do is find the mother of James Nelson. b abt 1841..son of the James Nelson  Publican.. who came to Australia as a convict..(Perth WA. 1859) 
I have it seems the whole Shankill Nelsons. (Ancestry)  but there is no James Nelsons birth record of 1841...
I have a death of James Nelson..born 1818 ..died. 1882  Antrim..age 64  Vol 1  page 11  film No.101591..
There is also a Agnes Nelson..B 1817  died 1882  Jan.Feb.Mar..age 65  Vol 1  page 315  film No.101591   are these film numbers related..ie  same family???  can anyone help me sort this out please... ::) :)

Offline glensman

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Saturday 16 May 15 08:49 BST (UK) »
Looking at the GRONI site:

https://geni.nidirect.gov.uk/

I can see the death of an Agnes Nelson on 3 January 1882 aged 65 registered in Belfast.  The death of James was on 20 April 1882 aged 64 registered in Antrim.  You have to register and buy some credits before you can view the full records (£2 each).  The different registration districts would tend to suggest that they are not the same family although deaths could be registered in any office, not necessarily the place of death.

Offline dalek39

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Saturday 16 May 15 22:59 BST (UK) »
Glensman   Thanks for that ..I am aware of the cost..spent millions so far.. ;D  anyway, I tend to agree to get results, one has to pay...Ive done a lot myself, thinking outside the square, but its inevitable we hit that brickwall.... :)

Offline dalek39

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Tuesday 19 May 15 00:26 BST (UK) »
On a previous post Aghadowey .. You said that as I really never found James Nelson,(1841) it would be difficult for me to backtrack on another generation...I did find James Nelson, all his records in Australia, inc, children etc etc..and I did find his father in Belfast, (Shankill) and other members of that family..some Publicans.  A Rodger Nelson Publican..for instance.same street....but as I said..no proof of the family members in Belfast other than what I found on Lennon Wylie.. ie Street numbers etc etc...
I have been onto a researcher in Ireland who gave me a James Mitchell Nelson..b 1841 ..Rosemary St.Presbytery...Father James Nelson. mother Agnes Nesbit...
Now what is interesting here I believe, and its only a hunch..is that on Lennon Wylie James Nelson, the Publican, residing in Winetavern Street..also had a James Nesbit residing in the same area...As we know, families in that time didn't catch the tram to go elsewhere..they usually stayed in the same district, so I assumed Nelsons could have married Nesbits...I know thats not the way to offer proof, but sometimes these hunches pay off with a little extra work...
Now I know from James records that I have that his birthplace was in Shankill, Belfast..what I need to know now is Rosemary St. in the Shankill area or near it...
Unfortunately cost of obtaining certificates etc. is difficult, one could get carried away..if only.. ;D

Offline aghadowey

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Tuesday 19 May 15 17:00 BST (UK) »
You can view the certificates for Agnes Nelson for £2 each which really isn't that expensive (see reply #11).

I'm still not entirely sure that you have found your James Nelson's father.
Away sorting out DNA matches... I may be gone for some time many years!

Offline dalek39

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Tuesday 19 May 15 23:57 BST (UK) »
Thanks Aghadowey..but I found at your advise, (Lennon Wylie)  James Nelson, Publican..44 Townsend Street. Belfast / Shankill area ..living at same address from 1901 right up to 1908 - 9...so makes him an old man when he died, but then his son lived till he was 83...which rules out the death at 65..(post reply #11)
As far as the cost of records ($2) I can afford that..but where do you draw the line...as I've said  having spent plenty on certificates, I doubt if it will offer me absolute proof with so many Nelsons and Nesbits living in the same area all having James as a child .... and born at the same time.....do you?
But thanks anyway..you have been most helpful, and I really do appreciate that... :)

Offline aghadowey

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Wednesday 20 May 15 00:13 BST (UK) »
I still fail to see how you've worked this all out starting only with James Nelson born 1841 Shankill, Belfast  ???

James' father was likely born before 1820 but how can he be matched up to James in the 1900s directories? Also, where is he in the 1901 census if he was still alive?
Away sorting out DNA matches... I may be gone for some time many years!

Offline dalek39

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Wednesday 20 May 15 01:24 BST (UK) »
Re post #16..James Nelson was on Lennon Wylies street directory in 1901  living at Townsend Street..Publican..I couldnt find him on a census either, but there were some censuses missing, as stated..maybe now with all the new records it may turn up... :)