Author Topic: Easter(Esther)McCafferty  (Read 4121 times)

Offline sandyjose

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Easter(Esther)McCafferty
« on: Thursday 28 August 14 19:12 BST (UK) »
 This is a mystery that I have spent a long time trying to solve without success,so I'm hoping someone can help.
  My great gran,Anna McCafferty,had a daughter, 1st Nov 1874 ,called Easter(maybe Esther after her mother,Esther Hollinger)The baby was born in Newtownards.The previous year she had,had a son,my grandad,,William James 18th March,he was baptized in the Presbyterian Church in Greenwell St,where in 1877 Anna would marry Thomas Gunning,after she had another daughter, Mary.I don't know where Easter and Mary were baptized.By 1881 the family were living in Glasgow but Easter wasn't with them.
  I have looked in all the places I can think of to find what happened to her,deaths in Ireland,deaths in Scotland,etc:.If she was adopted it would be virtually impossible to find her.I discovered that the wife of the couple that were witnesses at Anna and Thomas' wedding,was Marta Hollinger before she marred James Hagan.I thought that maybe they adopted her but I can't find any evidence of that.
  I don;t know where else to look,so please can someone help please.

Offline BallyaltikilliganG

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
Re: Easter(Esther)McCafferty
« Reply #1 on: Sunday 31 August 14 11:36 BST (UK) »
It remains a mystery After I wrote these notes up I discovered the marriage in familysearch.com of Esther Hollinger in Ireland Marriages, 1619-1898 marriage:   29 November 1845   0025,Newtown Ards,Down,Ireland spouse:   Robert Mccafferty

Recapping from Ros Davies Co Down website http://freepages.genealogy.rootsweb.ancestry.com/~rosdavies
Miss Anna McAFFIRTY . Newtownards married Thomas Gunning 23 Jul 1877 at Greenwell Street Presbyterian Church CR
Margaret McCAFFERTY . Newtownards  witness at the marriage of Robert Hardy & Jane Bailie 8 Jun 1875 at 1st Newtownards Presbyterian Church PR
Samuel McCAFFERTY . Newtownards husband of Rebecca Dunn ; father of Margaret Dunn McCafferty b. 15 Nov & bpt. 12 Dec 1886 at Greenwell Street Presbyterian Church, Newtownards PR

You know Anna McCafferty [who was the daughter of Esther Hollinger[ please see my addition a final note about familysearch ie probably the daughter of Robert McCafferty and Esther Hollinger], had children
1.  William James 18th March,1873.She managed to get her first? child baptized at Greenwell Street Presbyterian Church CR presumably checked as William James McCafferty {?}so this should be findable in in GRONI records
2.  Easter or Esther McCafferty {?} born 1st Nov 1874 how do you know this please?
3.  Mary McCafferty {?} between 1875-1877

My first conclusions are seeing Anna has a problem with her surname’s spelling, which could be clergyman’s error, but might be because Anna cant read and write is there anyway of checking how the original entry is spelt in Greenwell Street Presbyterian Church. Then there should be something findable at GRONI.  At the same time of checking the churches original, search also the previous five years of that churches birth/baptismal records for all Easter, Esther and Mary anybodies children, and going by sound hopefully find a link variants with McAFFIRTY or did she name the father etc
What can we find out about her father Robert McCafferty
Have you found out anything about Samuel McCafferty who married Rebecca Dunn
Have you found out anything about Marta Hollinger In 1863 griffiths valuation records a HENRY HOLLINGER was living in Mill St, Newtown Ards what church did he go to, and his church records?
Hagans I didn’t find any in newtownards via Griffiths.

Church records Ros Davies website gives
Greenwell Street Presbyterian Church surviving records from 1869; North of Ireland FHS has baptisms 1866-1921 & marriages 1870- 1921; also try the churches own websitewhich gives ‘Church Library  The library is always open with a great range of theology, commentaries, mission, biography, fiction with new titles being added on a regular basis. It is managed by Stuart and Tracy Boyd
I don’t know where you live but NIFHS has a Look-Up Schemes for Members
The Society is offering Look-Up services for branch and associate members with e-mail.
Church Registers - A member of the Society has volunteered to do look-ups of some of the indexed Church Registers held by the Society for members. Further details and a list of the Church Registers available can be found by clicking here (this link also gives a list of Gravestone Inscriptions).
Another thought is Presbyterians were often buried in Church of Ireland graveyards, whether the details were entered in a burials book I don’t know.

Have you exhausted
familysearch.org using variant surnames eg    Esther Hollinger
Ireland Marriages, 1619-1898 marriage:   29 November 1845   0025,Newtown Ards,Down,Ireland spouse:   Robert Mccafferty
Ulster Historical foundation ie irelandancestry.com
www.emeraldancestors.com
so lots of good luck keep going JimG
Gracey Gracie Gracy Grassy Greacy
worldwide

Offline sandyjose

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Sunday 31 August 14 14:03 BST (UK) »
Many thanks for all research and suggestions I will follow them up.Easter's birth is on both Ancestry and Family search.Robert McCafferty was baptized at Kilinchy Church in 1829,his father was Robert,his mother Jane Osborne,I have the records from the church to confirm that.
 There were 2 brothers,Robert and Henry,Robert and Jane had 6 children baptized at Kilinchy Pres Church,David Osborne 17 March 1822,Anna 20 June 1824,Jane 12 March 1827,Robert 10 May 1829(Anna's father)John 1839 and Agnes 1841.Not sure about the last 2 as there's a big gap.Henry had 5 children,don't know who his wife was,Jane 1814,Ann 1819, Henry 1821,Martha 1825 and another Henry 1817.I don't know if Anna had any siblings,I have all the baptisms and marriages for 1st Presbyterian Church in Francis St and there are no McCaffertys there.
 As you say William James was baptized at Greenwell St Church,it says father unknown.
  I haven't investigated the Hollingers much,as I said Martha Hollinger was a witness at Anna and Thomas' wedding.I haven't found Martha and James' Hagan's marriage so Martha could have been a cousin or an Aunt?
  Anna couldn't read or write,which explains her not knowing that her name was spelt wrong.
 I live in Glasgow,you said there's a member of FHS who will look things up,how do I contact them?
 I will have a look at Proni see if they have anything and Emerald Ancestors,will I see much as I don't subscribe to them?
 Most of my families mysteries I.ve managed to solve so I hope I get somewhere with this one!!!
  Thanks again for your help,I'll get back to you if I find anything.Susan

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Sunday 31 August 14 15:31 BST (UK) »
http://www.nifhs.org/index.htm  then look at resources , I think you must join.
JimG
worldwide

Offline usaPetticrew

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Friday 10 August 18 12:45 BST (UK) »
https://civilrecords.irishgenealogy.ie/churchrecords/images/marriage_returns/marriages_1871/11351/8167141.pdf

12 Sept 1871 marriage:
James Hagan, widower, laborer, and Martha Hollinger, widow.
His father was John Hagan, laborer.  Her father was William Hollinger, weaver.
Marriage at Greenwell St. Presbyterian Church, Newtownards.
Minister:  Wm McIlwrath.
Witnesses:  Sarah Duff and Robert Campbell.

Even though Martha was a widow, it appears she registered with her maiden name.

Since Greenwell St. Church is Presbyterian, there might be session records from this era.  If so, there could be a record made there if any action was taken by the church to place the baby Esther McCafferty in another home.  Her mother, Anna, was certainly within the purview of this church.

https://www.greenwellstreet.org/

At this level of inquiry, looking for a child after birth/baptism, you may need to go straight to an original source of records, such as the church.  Online collections aren't likely to give you what you need.
Petticrew, Pettigrew, Bedigrew, and all variants.

Offline sandyjose

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Wednesday 15 August 18 01:01 BST (UK) »

I have looked at all the sites suggested but I haven't managed to get much futher on.I found a James Hagan who married Mary Jane Carroll in 1864 in Belfast
 I have a John Hagan who married Jane,their son James was born 1838.
 Theres a James Fagan,who married Eleoner O Neill 6th Aug 1866,James' farher was John.
 Maybe this makes sense to someone,but it's no help in finding what happened to Easter

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Thursday 16 August 18 11:31 BST (UK) »
Have you seen GenesReunited which has an entry
Mary   Gunning   1876   Newtownards, County ...   treeholder Demi {Anderson}
to contact you would have to join to see his or her tree   
Thoughts have you joined https://en-gb.facebook.com/Newtownardsfamilyhistorygroup/ its free
usaPetticrew wondered about session books at Presbtyerian Church, Greenwell Street, Newtownards.    I sadly think not,  and also the marriage notice books started up in 1879  just a couple of years too late perhaps see https://www.nidirect.gov.uk/sites/default/files/publications/Guide_to_church_records.pdf for Presbtyerian Church, Greenwell Street, Newtownards
Baptisms, 1866-99 and 1946; marriages, 1870-1903; marriage notice books, 1879-1906; index to marriages, 1870-1936; list of members, c.1920; communion roll, 1909-10.
I found an Esther Gunning marrying a William XXXX in Newtownards on emeraldancestors but found it dated 1860. it made me wonder had Anna McCafferty b 1857 later had met perhaps Thomas Gunning family perhaps including a sister ?

1901 Census Ireland http://www.census.nationalarchives.ie house 104 in Greenwell Street (Newtownards Urban, Down)
Gunning   Mary   25   Female   Daughter   Presbyterian   County Down   Power Loom Weaver   Read and write   English   Not Married   -
Gunning   Annie   46   Female   Head of Family   Presbyterian   County Down   Embroider   Neither read nor write   English   Married   -

I thought I would try a draft tree as becoming confused
McCafferty children 2 brothers
1.  Henry McCafferty
children
1.1.  Jane McCafferty 1814,
1.2.  Henry McCafferty 1817
1.3.  Ann McCafferty 1819,
1.4.  Henry McCafferty 1821 or his father above living in Mill St  [Griffiths valuation1863]
1.5.  Martha McCafferty 1825

2.  Robert McCafferty m Jane Osborne
children
2.1.  David Osborne McCafferty 17 March 1822 bapt’ ‘Kilinchy Church,
2.2.  Anna McCafferty 20 June 1824 bapt’ ‘Kilinchy Church
2.3.  Jane McCafferty 12 March 1827 bapt’ ‘Kilinchy Church
2.4.  Robert McCafferty 10 May 1829(Anna's father) bapt’ ‘Kilinchy Church m 29 November 1845 Newtowards Esther/Easter Hollinger
.....children possible more syblings
.....2.4.1.  Anna McCafferty b1857  Annie in 1891 census
.........children.
.........2.4.1.1.  William James McCafferty 18th March1873 bapt’ Presbyterian Church
Greenwell St Newtownards father unknown if known as William J Gunning in 1881 and 1891 see England, Wales & Scotland Census Bridgeton, Glasgow
.........2.4.1.2.  Easter/ Esther McCafferty {?}/could be Gunning? 1st Nov 1874
.........2.4.3.3.  Mary McCafferty {?} between 1875-1877 1876      census 1891 as Mary Gunning is listed on GenesReunited by tree holder  Demi Anderson have I got the right family?
.....2.4.1.  Anna McCafferty/ Anna McAffirty/Annie? m 23 Jul 1877 Greenwell Street Presbyterian Church  Newtownards ,Thomas Gunning b 1855 shoemaker...children?
in 1881 living in Preston St Bridgeton, Glasgow...have I got the right family?
in 1891 living in Main St Bridgeton, Glasgow  ...have I got the right family?
2.5.  John McCafferty 1839 unsure
2.6.  Agnes McCafferty 1841 unsure

Looking at this draft uncorrected tree I wondered if Easter/Esther had  died young eg aged 1-3 years old. That event might well have brought parents closer together and a reason they married a bit late. Finding apparently no burial records have been kept at Greenwell St
Presbyterians were sometimes  buried in other P church graveyards   eg burials, 1892-1901. at Regent St P church, even sometimes were buried in Church of Ireland graveyards not knowing where to start I tried to check Old and new  Movilla but got lost in finding the thorough way. That must be done for Easter

the other two children William James and Mary appear to have taken the name Gunning then or soon after.  Have you looked for Mary baptism at greenwell church b 1876? say a couple of years later.    I only realised late that Annie and daughter Mary Gunning were living in Greenwell street itself in irish census. Apart from PRONI holding church records, familyhistory.org did an amazing qty of microwork , they would be free.   

If you joined The North of Ireland Family History Society (NIFHS) their website says There is a free Look Up Service available for Members who are unable to visit the Library.  Looking for furtherafield sources JohnGrenham.com  ‘s  website gave me the idea could the McCafferty in Belfast be the relatives who adopted her. 

JohnGrenham.com  ‘s  website gave me the idea could the McCafferty in Belfast be  the relatives who adopted her. 

Have you been in direct contact with Greenwell st church. If you haven’t, My uncle found enclosing a £5 note for church funds with his opening request could they help letter, oiled the works best, when absolutely stuck. He also got requestd for more money on one occasion for the work the clergyman would undertake only if paid. So over to you.

Other than that I run out of suggestions except producing a one person search listing all the sources physically carefully looked up with each named variant  of spelling with the overall purpose of asking readers have you missed any source.  We are back to the sources notonline among which include many church records for different reasons.

much good luck needed onwards
worldwide

Offline sandyjose

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Thursday 23 August 18 22:02 BST (UK) »

What can I say,you have spent so much time looking for Easter McCafferty.I have tried all your suggestions but have not moved forward.
  I contacted the church in Greenwell Street but so far no reply.
 I think that possibly,Martha Hollinger's parents were William and Jane Strange.All the records I've found for James Fagan are Catholic.I've always wondered if Annie was originally Catholic,McCafferty sounds like a Catholic name and maybe that caused problems getting married to Thomas.
 I think this is probably going to remain a mystery.Let me know what you think

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Saturday 25 August 18 08:11 BST (UK) »
have you tried Facebook Group "Sons and Daughters of Newtownards area Genealogy"
worldwide