Author Topic: Brockmill, Northumberland birth for Elizabeth Dodds  (Read 5728 times)

Offline emfranky

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Brockmill, Northumberland birth for Elizabeth Dodds
« Reply #9 on: Tuesday 02 September 14 22:00 BST (UK) »
Hi, thanks, I took your advice and I've just ordered the birth certificate. Should be here within a fortnight  :)
Ellwood (Prudhoe, Northumberland)
Berkley (Ponteland, Northumberland; Heddon-on-the-Wall, Northumberland)
Richardson (Northumberland)
Lowdon (from Edmundbyers, Durham; Mickley, Northumberland)
Another Davison (also of Mickley, Northumberland)
In Horton, Northumberland: Davison, Beecroft (previously from Houghton-le-Spring).
In Sunderland, Durham: Hunter, Watson (also of Wallsend, Northumberland; Blackhill, Durham)

Offline geordiesue

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Tuesday 02 September 14 22:22 BST (UK) »
Hi Emfranky

John Richardson and Elizabeth Dodds were my husbands gg grandparents. Its all a bit confusing as no marriages can be found for either of his wives. I posted a thread on the Northumberland board under trying to find the parents of John Richardson b1865 and have the same theory with regards to Elizabeth Dodds. I knew from the census his 2nd wife was a lot younger but hadn`t imagined Sarah Keen Burns his wifes niece being his 2nd wife. Now that`s just confused me even more lol.

Susan

Offline emfranky

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Tuesday 02 September 14 23:18 BST (UK) »
I know - it's fried my brain many times! John and Elizabeth are my grandmothers great-great grandparents. Sarah Keen Burn was born Apr-May-Jun 1857 at Newcastle (10a: 7). Her parents were Barbara Dodds and George Burn who got married Jan-Feb-Mar 1857 (10b: 97). I've got Sarah marrying John Richardson Jan-Feb-Mar 1878 (10b: 346) - they'd had a son 2 years before called Henry Burn Richardson and another son 2 years after called James Robert Richardson. Does this fit in with what you had?

When I get the birth certificate i'll know for sure whether Sarah Keen Richardson was Elizabeth's niece  :)
In Horton, Northumberland: Davison, Beecroft (previously from Houghton-le-Spring).
In Sunderland, Durham: Hunter, Watson (also of Wallsend, Northumberland; Blackhill, Durham)

Offline geordiesue

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Wednesday 03 September 14 00:14 BST (UK) »
I managed to piece together Elizabeth Dodds being John Richardsons first wife but though I saw him in the census with Sarah together with Henry Burn Richardson and James Robert Richardson I didn`t realise the connection but can see what you mean. It sounds a bit wierd but isn`t really as Sarah was Elizabeth`s niece in theory not his blood relative. Did you notice the 1851 census with Thomas keen? there`s an Elizabeth Keen born 1838 in Holy island. Same birth year as Elizabeth Dodds. I found a birth for Elizabeth Kean 1838 Lowick mothers name Sarah Kean FHL Film 1469094 pg 48. Given that George Dodds was married to Sarah maiden name possibly Keen was Elizabeth born before Sarah married and then changed it later to Dodds which could be why there dosen`t seem to be a birth for an Elizabeth Dodds

Offline emfranky

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Thursday 04 September 14 00:24 BST (UK) »
I was sent a reference code for the 1851 census. I put the code in ancestry and on the transcript it said that in the household was Thomas, Sarah and Elizabeth Keen and a servant. However, when I looked at the original image, it looks like it says Elizabeth Dodds. Maybe you're right about the name changing thing, hopefully the birth certificate will have Elizabeth's real name and will clear this up.

Offline geordiesue

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Thursday 04 September 14 01:59 BST (UK) »
I dont know if you saw a tree on ancestry but it looks like its a descendant of Sarah Burn and John Richardson. Their son Henry Burn Richardson married to Sarah Ann Mackenzie children Barbara Jane Richardson probably named after Sarah Burns mother Barbara Dodds, John James, Sarah Hene and Henry Burn. Seems like this is the same Sarah Keen Burn

Offline emfranky

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Friday 12 September 14 22:33 BST (UK) »
Hi, just thought i'd let you know that I got the birth certificate and Elizabeth's maiden name was Dodds. Still confusing though as I can't find a marriage for an Elizabeth Dodds and John Richardson on the FreeBMD Index - any tips?

Offline keyboard86

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Friday 12 September 14 23:14 BST (UK) »
Hi, just thought i'd let you know that I got the birth certificate and Elizabeth's maiden name was Dodds. Still confusing though as I can't find a marriage for an Elizabeth Dodds and John Richardson on the FreeBMD Index - any tips?

I have tried, possibly they never got round to it?
Keyboard86

Pelly/Pelley/Kingsbury/Challis/Nalder/Rochester/Raydenbow

UK Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline emfranky

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Tuesday 07 October 14 18:57 BST (UK) »
Hi everyone, I just wanted to say thank you for all the help, advice and time you have given me. Not everything is worked out yet but you've helped a lot - you've all been great.  :)