Author Topic: Looking for information on Adam Goldie (Sheriff Officer) and family  (Read 3738 times)

Offline conalb

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Looking for information on Adam Goldie (Sheriff Officer) and family
« Reply #9 on: Sunday 01 February 15 13:21 GMT (UK) »
Hi Sandi,

This is the information that I have. Most of it I got from Scotland's people, but I don't have details of jobs to hand, unfortunately.  The census results would give you these.

Adam Goldie married Janet Borland and they had two children that I know of - possibly there were more. These children were Robert and Adam.  Robert married Isabella Rann.  The surname was later changed to Wren, I discovered.  The marriage took place on 15th December, 1849 in Eastwood, Renfrewshire, but the 1891 census shows them living in Cockpen, Midlothian. I'm assuming that Isabella came from Eastwood and that was why they got married there.  The 1901 census shows them living in Newbattle, Midlothian with a daughter, Isabella. They also had a son, Robert, who was born about 1863 in Pollokshaws, Glasgow. I'm guessing again, that they moved from East to west for work.

This Robert married Ellen Steel. The 1881 census shows him living in Barony, Lanarkshire. Barony seems to have been an area in the north of Glasgow. In the 1891 census he is still there, but with his wife and five children, Susan K., Isabella, Robert, Alexander S., and Marion W.  Susan married my grandfather John Albin.

The 1901 census shows Robert and Isabella with 3 more children, John, Jeanie and Georgina.

Robert, Alexander, Jeanie and Marion may have emigrated to the U.S. and/or Canada. A census from Portland, Maine shows a Marion Goldie from Scotland married to Erving R. Libby.  My mother talked about us being related to Libbys so that seems to fit.

I hope all or some of this will help.  Perhaps we are related in some way!

Connie

Albin, Wilson, McCormick, McAlister

Offline sandir03

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Looking for information on Adam Goldie (Sheriff Officer) and family
« Reply #10 on: Monday 02 February 15 01:48 GMT (UK) »
Hi Connie,
         Thanks so much for all your Goldie family information. Looking forward to comparing the information.

Unfortunately my old laptop 'died' a few weeks back so I am unable to view any family history information. Once I decide what to do about a substitute PC I will get back to you with any questions. My most recent backup is from the 29th Dec on an external hard drive, so I might temporarily 'borrow' my Dad's desktop PC and load my Family history software and data onto it. 

Will be in touch.

Regards,
          Sandi