Author Topic: Restorer advice for large Bible  (Read 7077 times)

Online GrahamSimons

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Restorer advice for large Bible
« on: Sunday 31 August 14 23:42 BST (UK) »
I have an elderly (1840s) Bible - it's large, weighing several kilograms, and I would guess that it always was intended as a family bible to record births, marriages and deaths; there's no sign that it's been used for Bible study. The binding has broken and I fancy having it restored. Has anyone on RC experience of this and able to give recommendations and costs - I'm based in Berkshire? Thank you all

Graham
Simons Barrett Jaffray Waugh Langdale Heugh Meade Garnsey Evans Vazie Mountcure Glascodine Parish Peard Smart Dobbie Sinclair....
in Stirlingshire, Roxburghshire; Bucks; Devon; Somerset; Northumberland; Carmarthenshire; Glamorgan

Offline fastfusion

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Restorer advice for large Bible
« Reply #1 on: Monday 01 September 14 00:36 BST (UK) »
graham,

I too have an old bible.....   first thing we did was find a similiar sized book in a bookshop.....   if the stiching is broken one needs some old twine strands and a fine punch used in woodwork or a finely sharpened awl. most bibles had leather  on ends so one has to find some leather. if the cover is totally off one uses woodworkers glue with the book in clamps and glue a new paper over the spine....   then you have to put cover back on........ 

go to this link on utube and on the right hand side there are heaps of how to do on the subject>
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=v_SvlM-pWBE

good luck......    but find an old school gent somewhere in book binding business....     go to a local printery and ask for someone they might know...
 :)

Offline majm

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • NSW 1806 Bowman Flag Ecce signum.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Monday 01 September 14 01:23 BST (UK) »
Have you considered asking a professional conservator for advice?  Many Archives Offices have professional conservators.  I am in Australia, and so here I contact the National Library of Australia as I know their conservators perform 'miracles' on so many items.

Cheers,  JM

The information in my posts is provided for academic and non-commercial research purposes. 
Random Acts of Kindness Given Freely are never Worthless for they are Priceless.
Qui scit et non docet.    Qui docet et non vivit.    Qui nescit et non interrogat.   
All Census Look Ups Are Crown Copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
I do not have a face book or a twitter account.

Offline Ruskie

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Monday 01 September 14 06:16 BST (UK) »
I agree with JM's advice as your first port of call.

I also tried a google search of bookbinding Berkshire and get a few results. I think you are probably looking for conservation rather than complete rebinding? (that's what I would do anyway)

I found this chap:
http://www.bookrestoration.co.uk/
Not in Berkshire but he may be able to point you in the direction of someone closer to home. There may even be an association which all the expert craftspeople belong to.

These people are in Reading - I had a quick look and fear they may "over restore" rather than just preserve:
http://www.mastersbookbinding.co.uk/leather-bookbinding.aspx
But you could investigate further as they may be able to mend your bible if requested. I presume they would want to see it to assess condition and possibility of and cost of repair.

Whatever you do I think it would be unwise to attempt your own restoration as you may make things worse than they already are, devalue the book and forever regret it.

Good luck with it and I think it is wonderful that you want to restore such a piece of history.

Online GrahamSimons

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Monday 01 September 14 11:54 BST (UK) »
Thank you all for your replies. I'm certainly intending to have it professionally done (or not at all if it's too costly, as I don't think it will deteriorate further if not restored). I'd found the two websites and am hoping that someone will be able to recommend one or other from experience.
Simons Barrett Jaffray Waugh Langdale Heugh Meade Garnsey Evans Vazie Mountcure Glascodine Parish Peard Smart Dobbie Sinclair....
in Stirlingshire, Roxburghshire; Bucks; Devon; Somerset; Northumberland; Carmarthenshire; Glamorgan

Offline copperbeech5

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Friday 31 October 14 23:59 GMT (UK) »
Hi Graham,

Check this site out, I have found it very helpful.

http://www.conservationregister.com/

Best wishes,
Copperbeech5

Hutchinson - Nottingham.
Rowland - Nottingham.
Parkin - Co Durham/Nottingham.
Gardiner/Gardner/Gardener - Co Durham.
Drake - Derbyshire/Lincolnshire/Sussex/London?
Leighton - Derbyshire.

Online GrahamSimons

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Saturday 01 November 14 13:01 GMT (UK) »
Thank you for the link - really useful, found another possible restorer!

Offline copperbeech5

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Sunday 02 November 14 19:00 GMT (UK) »
Please to hear it, and good to get feedback - as I said I have found it very useful - and it is always a good place to start!

Kind regards,
Copperbeech5
Hutchinson - Nottingham.
Rowland - Nottingham.
Parkin - Co Durham/Nottingham.
Gardiner/Gardner/Gardener - Co Durham.
Drake - Derbyshire/Lincolnshire/Sussex/London?
Leighton - Derbyshire.

Offline deebel

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Sunday 02 November 14 19:07 GMT (UK) »
I asked my local library some while ago  if they knew of a good bookbinder and they recommended the undernoted;

http://www.rdw.co.uk/

This post is a natural hand made product. The slight variations in spelling and grammar enhance its individual character and beauty and in no way are to be considered flaws. Unfortunately my preferred method of writing (Parker Quink on Basildon Bond) cannot be used.