Author Topic: PIERCE Vermont, USA  (Read 887 times)

Offline argyllshiregirl

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
PIERCE Vermont, USA
« on: Monday 01 September 14 01:26 BST (UK) »
I have been trying to find roots for my husband's 3x great grandfather since 2001. This is my biggest brick wall. I would love to match him with a family once and for all.

Reuel A. PIERCE (A. most likely is for Anson) was born somewhere in Vermont 1805-10 era. By 1830, he had migrated up to the Ottawa Valley in present day Ontario, Canada and started farming on Lot 12, Concession 12, Fitzroy Township, at first as a squatter. He arrived with 2 other Vermont originated families, the SMITH and RHODES. Both had their beginnings in Massachusetts, so possibly Reuel's family did too. The SMITHs, spent some years in Williston, Chittenden County, VT. I have found PIERCEs there too but no Reuel among them so far. Perhaps I am not looking in the right place. His birth/baptism might be in some church records not available online anywhere.

After Reuel came to Canada, he married Ontario born Margaret MCLEOD and had a family. I am betting that among the children's names there may lie clues as to who his parents or siblings were. He was father to Sarah, Margaret, Emmaline, Catherine, Maria Ann, Reuel A. Jr., Henry Nathaniel and Norman.

A tantalizing notation in a book of local (Fitzroy Twp.) history mentions Emmaline PIERCE, his daughter, and refers to her as being a United Empire Loyalist descendant. Loyalists were Americans on the British side during the War of Independence, or British or Canadians actively supporting the British cause. They suffered, sacrificed a lot and most had to flee to Canada when the war was over. Anyway, I wasn't sure how Emmaline came to be UEL. It must have come from her parents, but which one? I now lean towards the MCLEOD side, but the PIERCEs may have left America for political reasons too.

All clues are good clues! Thank you very much!
Mary   
Fletcher of Glen Orchy, Argyll, McGregor of Argyll and Balquhidder, Perth, Mathison, Laidlaw, Forsyth of Dumfriesshire, McMillan, Johnston, Galbraith, Nicholson of Argyll, McPhail, McArthur, McKinnon, McLean, Paterson from Isle of Mull

Offline aghadowey

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: PIERCE Vermont, USA
« Reply #1 on: Monday 01 September 14 09:32 BST (UK) »
One online tree gives more children than you list as well as parents- John Erin Pierce (born 1770 Prospect, Hancock, Maine- son of John Nathaniel Pierce born 1743 Groton, Middlesex, Mass.) and Margaret Boyd. There are lots of other family tree on Ancestry which I haven't checked and you'd need to make you you verify any details before adding them to your tree.
Away sorting out DNA matches... I may be gone for some time many years!

Offline argyllshiregirl

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Monday 01 September 14 19:12 BST (UK) »
Hi there,
Thanks so much for checking, and for your fast reply. I probably should have added that Reuel A. PIERCE's marriage to Margaret MCLEOD took place in Bytown (now Ottawa), Ontario in 1836. All of his children were born after that year, so the ones in the 1700s are too old ... or perhaps you mean they could be Reuel's siblings or aunts/uncles?
I am not an ancestry subscriber at the moment - not in the budget at present. I appreciate your help. Thanks again. :)

Mary
in Canada
Fletcher of Glen Orchy, Argyll, McGregor of Argyll and Balquhidder, Perth, Mathison, Laidlaw, Forsyth of Dumfriesshire, McMillan, Johnston, Galbraith, Nicholson of Argyll, McPhail, McArthur, McKinnon, McLean, Paterson from Isle of Mull

Offline aghadowey

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Monday 01 September 14 19:52 BST (UK) »
The online tree that I mentioned showed that Reuel Pierce's father was John Erin Pierce (born 1770) and his grandfather was John Nathaniel Pierce (born 1743).
Many libraries offer a Library version of Ancestry so you can check to see what yours might offer (not all used to have access to the family trees).
Away sorting out DNA matches... I may be gone for some time many years!

Offline argyllshiregirl

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Tuesday 06 June 17 15:14 BST (UK) »
Hello everyone!

DNA testing has been done and is now definitely pointing to these answers being correct! John Erin and John Nathaniel are descendants of Thomas Pierce (1583 - 1666) from Norwich, England to Woburn , MA, USA. If they are Reuel's ancestors too then we have a hit! If anyone wants to compare DNA, see Kit# 271797 on FTDNA or Kit# T421346 on Gedmatch. Thanks, aghadowey. :)

Mary