Author Topic: SENNITT descendants DNA study - also SLENNETT, SLINNETT, etc  (Read 2548 times)

Offline corinne

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
SENNITT descendants DNA study - also SLENNETT, SLINNETT, etc
« on: Monday 01 September 14 17:37 BST (UK) »
I'm wanting to find any male descendants who can show an unbroken father-son line with the surnames SENNITT, SLENNETT, SLINNETT (or similar) from the Cottenham/Stretham areas.  The SENNITT tree is looking good right back to the 1500's, but its going to need a DNA study to go back any further and figure out the origin of the name in Cambridgeshire and whether it links to any other groups of S-NN-T families.   I'm calling for SLENNETTs (and similar spellings) from this area to take part in the DNA study as well, because it looks like Gervase SLENNETT could be the brother of Nicholas (who heads up the SENNITT family) (both born in the first half of the 1500's).

If you are a male S-NN-T with a family originating from Cambridgeshire, and are interested in taking part in the DNA study, its being hosted at familytreeDNA.com with the primary study name SENNETT or SINNOTT (though it covers all surnames in the form S-NN-T).  There is currently a sale on so both 37 marker and 67 marker Y-DNA tests are much cheaper than usual.  If you have any questions just send me a message.   

Offline corinne

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
Re: SENNITT descendants DNA study - also SLENNETT, SLINNETT, etc
« Reply #1 on: Friday 23 June 17 17:16 BST (UK) »
UPDATE - still looking for a male Cambridgeshire Sennitt descendant to join the DNA surname project, primarily with a view to seeing if there is any genetic link between the Irish Sinnott/Sennett/Synnott families and Cambridgeshire.  I now have subsidised tests available (to families not already represented in the study) and also can offer access to the much cheaper Y-DNA12 test.   Note that while a 12 marker test is not usually considered enough to be useful, in this surname study it is an excellent (and much cheaper) initial screening tool as the Irish Sinnotts of anglonorman origins have been shown to have the relatively rare E haplogroup.

If you know someone (from any S-NN-T family) who might want to join the DNA project, please contact me either via PM, or through the surname study at the Guild of One Name Studies (www.one-name.org)

Offline warncoort

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • James Edward Butcher, son John William 1925
    • View Profile
Re: SENNITT descendants DNA study - also SLENNETT, SLINNETT, etc
« Reply #2 on: Saturday 24 June 17 01:07 BST (UK) »
Have you checked surnames interest board?
Butcher Westmorland and Lancashire
Barton Westmorland and Yorkshire
Trethowan,Reeves Middlesex
Halsall,Green,Charters,Chatterton Lancashire
Smith, Moger, Maxfield Wiltshire
Woods,Speechley and Coles Huntingdonshire
Gibson,Blanks,Monk,Fokes Essex