Author Topic: Murdo Macmillan, Gravir, Lochs  (Read 2975 times)

Offline xxkiramacxx

• RootsChat Pioneer
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Murdo Macmillan, Gravir, Lochs
« on: Monday 01 September 14 18:05 BST (UK) »
Hi everyone,

I am looking for some information on my great-grandfather Murdo Macmillan (b. 1885) of 20 Gravir, Lochs on the Isle of Lewis.  His father was John Macmillan (b. 1851) and his mother was Ann Macmillan (1862-1886).  Ann died when Murdo was a baby and he was sent to live with her parents, Norman Macmillan (original tenant of 1 Lemreway) and Ann Mackenzie.  John Macmillan married again in 1892 to Marion MacLeod of Leurbost and had several children but Murdo did not return home to his father.  He stayed with his grandparents and had moved to Glasgow by 1910. 

I know it's a long shot, but I was wondering if anyone might have any more information about Murdo and in particular, why he moved to Glasgow.  I can't help wondering why he continued to live with his grandparents rather than his father, especially once John re-married.  Perhaps this had something to do with his leaving the island?

If anyone has any information about Murdo in particular or the traditions/culture on the islands at this time with regards to the death of a parent, I would be really interested to know more.  Also, if there is anyone out there who is related to the Macmillans from Gravir or Lemreway, I'd love to hear from you!

Thanks in advance,

Kirsten

Offline kennymac

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Murdo Macmillan, Gravir, Lochs
« Reply #1 on: Wednesday 17 June 15 08:25 BST (UK) »
Hi, Kirsten

Your best bet for information on anyone in the Western Isles is Bill Lawson at Co Leis Thu?  You can reach him on-line here: http://www.hebridespeople.com/

As a matter of interest, I have just had some Y-DNA testing done and my only match was a descendant of a Lewis MacMillan.  Although our family name is MacDonald, my great-grandfather was illegitimate and his father was said to have come from Lewis, so it wouldn't surprise me in the least if my great-great-grandfather was a MacMillan and not a MacDonald.

Kind Regards

Kenny MacDonald