Author Topic: Llangynog and neighbouring Parishes; Samuel Pugh born 1800  (Read 3592 times)

Offline Llanfihangel

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Rootschat and the Library of Wales..... Superb!
    • View Profile
Llangynog and neighbouring Parishes; Samuel Pugh born 1800
« on: Tuesday 02 September 14 00:33 BST (UK) »

Hi,

I have been doing some research on Thomas Pugh, my earliest "hard" records are a marriage bond for a marriage to Margaret Jones at LLangynog, Breconshire 1794, and two Census records:  In 1841 for him living at Cwmnantgwyn, Llangynog, and in 1851 for him at Croesgwyn, Llandewi'r Cwm, Breconshire. The 1841 Census shows that he was not born in Breconshire, and the 1851 Census shows him born in Bryngwyn Radnorshire. He was married to a much younger Elizabeth in the 1841 and 1851 Census records.

I have Parish records of a Margaret Pugh of Cymnantgwyn, Llangynog buried Maesmynis 1814, which is shown as Thomas Pugh's residence in the 1841 Census.

Thomas and Margaret had several children, including Anne, Margaret. Elizabeth, Elinor, Lucretia, all baptized in Llangynog. Lucretia was buried in Maesmynis with Margaret in 1814.

There is a record of a Thomas Pugh marrying Elizabeth Powell at Llandewi'r Cwm in 1830. she was 31 years old and Thomas was 68 at that time according to the 1851 Census. I am fairly sure this was the same Thomas Pugh who married Margaret Jones.

But there is another Parish Record of a marriage between Thomas Pugh and Mary Pugh in 1822 also in LLandewi'r Cwm.... And a burial of Mary Pugh age 30 of Tynywain, LLandewi'r Cwm in 1829.

I am interested in any information regarding this last marriage, i.e. possibly the second marriage of Thomas Pugh. Is it the same Thomas Pugh who married Margaret and later Elizabeth?

Or is it another Thomas Pugh, possibly related to the Samuel Pugh who married Margaret Worthing at Llandewi'r Cwm in 1825?

I am asking all this because I am trying to figure out if Thomas Pugh born 1762 in Bryngwyn Radnorshire had a son Samuel Pugh baptised 1800, Llandewi'r Cwm.

I know this is complicated, but I would be glad of any data regarding this family...

Thanks

Llanfi  :) :) :) :)
Pugh, Powell, Williams, Maddox, Prosser